Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: How would you apply these colors?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #1

Default How would you apply these colors?

Just picked up a Proline Cherokee body for my current project. Its my first time painting a body and read that you should apply the darkest colors first. However, the 2 colors I'll be using are pearl white and silver. I'll be painting the fender trim/bumpers/lower body panels silver witht he rest of the jeep being painterd the pearl white. Does it matter which color goes down first?
warpig602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: How would you apply these colors?

You have to mask off the area that you don't want a certain color to be in for the first coat. For example, if you decided to lay down the silver first, which would be a good idea since the white would go over it in the second coat and help the color to 'pop', You need to mask off any area that you don't want the silver to show on.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
RCC Addict

You will need to buy a can of solid white to back the pearl white also. The pearl is not I solid color I believe.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies, I had figured on the masking part but was unsure which should be applied first, silver it is. I also have a spare can of Pactra white I could use after the other 2.

Last question, any idea on how to simulate tinted windows?
Old 02-07-2014, 12:12 AM   #5
Fifth dimension

Quick heads up. In my experience, pearl white and silver ( in my fascolor world) look too similar. I'd highly recommend backing your silver in black and pearl in white. If you need an example, pm me and I can show you a 66 ford I did with a pearl top half with some silver accents and you'll see what I mean bud. Good luck!!
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:21 AM   #6

Thanks for the ehads up, sent you a PM. Im using Tamiya paints if it matters.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:08 AM   #7
Fifth dimension

I only have faskolor experience. Those rattle can colors may be very different. I didn't take tons of pics of the job but I sent you one. IMO it's tough to see how nice of a silver pin I put on that truck due to the way the pearl turned out. Just use caution bud, you'll be fine. I also test fire my colors on overhead projector sheets to see how they look next to each other. Super cheap and a great way to her a feel for what your planning
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:25 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Tamiya ps12 silver is different tone than the pearl white and it is solid rnough to jot have to back it with black. I would not recommend using the Pactra paint with Tamiya, i cant remember which way it goes but it will have a chemical reaction and lift off the body. Spray the Tamiya Silver, then spray the Tamiya Pearl White, back it all with Tamiya White. Then what I would dobis back it all with the Tamiya silver to give it a good solid backing which will help protect the colors when tinting the windows. Tamiya makes a Smoke which you can use for tint, just make sure you spray it very lightly and watch for any bleed through into the lighter colors. I always like to back all my work with Tamiya Black so it is all one uniform color and it is a good protector them you can spray the tint and you wont see the over spray. One thing to keep in mind is when ypu want to spray a body 2 colors you need to be prepaired to buy atleast 3-4 differnt colors to finish it.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Like stated above, be really careful with the spray tint, it likes to bleed thru. If it were me I would go down to the local automotive tint center and ask for a few scraps and apply those instead. The amount you need will be far less than what the shop has laying on the floor after a job.

Heck, bring your toy down and they may offer to tint it for just cuz it is cool and unusual. Ask them for a small sticker to support them....
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
Like stated above, be really careful with the spray tint, it likes to bleed thru. If it were me I would go down to the local automotive tint center and ask for a few scraps and apply those instead. The amount you need will be far less than what the shop has laying on the floor after a job.

Heck, bring your toy down and they may offer to tint it for just cuz it is cool and unusual. Ask them for a small sticker to support them....
Yeah, I actually though of picking some tint up at a an automotive store to try it. never though of jus taing it down to the shop instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Tamiya ps12 silver is different tone than the pearl white and it is solid rnough to jot have to back it with black. I would not recommend using the Pactra paint with Tamiya, i cant remember which way it goes but it will have a chemical reaction and lift off the body. Spray the Tamiya Silver, then spray the Tamiya Pearl White, back it all with Tamiya White. Then what I would dobis back it all with the Tamiya silver to give it a good solid backing which will help protect the colors when tinting the windows. Tamiya makes a Smoke which you can use for tint, just make sure you spray it very lightly and watch for any bleed through into the lighter colors. I always like to back all my work with Tamiya Black so it is all one uniform color and it is a good protector them you can spray the tint and you wont see the over spray. One thing to keep in mind is when ypu want to spray a body 2 colors you need to be prepaired to buy atleast 3-4 differnt colors to finish it.
Wow, never thought the painting part would have so many aspects to ge the desired results. Guess I need to order up a few more cans of paint

How would you apply these colors? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wisdom only, the rest need not apply Duxx Axial Wraith 11 08-27-2012 02:31 PM
Need your ideas apply with in....... hende Non Crawler RC's 2 09-11-2010 06:39 PM
Best way to apply weights to Vanquish SSW rims? mdowney Tires and Wheels 7 09-06-2010 09:49 AM
under 21 need nort apply... EeeeePeeee toyofast Chit Chat 19 08-11-2007 09:24 AM