Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Airbrush and compressor questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Airbrush and compressor questions

I've always used cans for painting the inside of lexan bodies. However, we have been building our own RC planes lately as well, and white foam is a bit boring.

So, I'm looking at getting an airbrush setup. I've looked at the combo from Harbor Freight as a basic setup. I'm not looking for anything fancy, basic colors and patterns.

I guess my question is if a 1/6 compressor enough? Also, is that cheapy airbrush going to be adequate or should I look into a good double action one?

And the biggie: Is there any difference in the setup using lexan-specific paint vs. "regular" paint that I would use on the planes?

Total noob here, done some internet research but figured I'd get some opinions from the "experts" on here.
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Airbrush and compressor questions

I got into airbrushing this last year and love it. I have a 2 gallon pancake compressor and a 5 gallon auxiliary tank. The compressor is piped to the 5 gallon tank so I have about 7 gallons of air once pumped up. I can spray for about 10 minutes before the compressor kicks back on.

Now for the airbrush, I wanted to start cheap in case I didn't like it. I picked up a TCP Global S622 and G23. Ths S622 is a set that comes with a bunch of different sizes and it's siphon feed. I found that I still need to thin the Faskolor paints when using that. Shortly after I got the G23 which is gravity feed. I like that one a lot better. I'm thinking about getting the larger gravity feed brush for the larger coverage. The G23 has a 0.3mm and the S62 has a 0.5mm needle setup right now. The S62 can go with a 0.8mm setup and that works well, but I still don't like the siphon setup.

Lastly, when using the 0.5mm or 0.3mm needles it's tough to do the final coat on the paint (when you want to do all one color for example) and that's why I want to go with a larger airbrush for that final work. Anyway, I'm very happy and it's been a lot of fun learning to paint.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Airbrush and compressor questions

Make sure the compressor is the oil less kind!
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote

Airbrush and compressor questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airbrush compressor advice JohnB Paint and Body 1 01-23-2014 06:01 AM
airbrush and compressor, any opinions on these? LDogg Paint and Body 4 02-17-2010 01:38 PM
air compressor for airbrush brandontodd33 Paint and Body 2 06-02-2009 12:21 PM