Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: help with paint chipping?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default help with paint chipping?

for some reason some of my bodies that i have painted (tamiya or faskolor) the paint tends to flake off if the body is flexed. am i doing something wrong? do i need to apply more or less paint? thanks
StraightCreepin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Default Re: help with paint chipping?

thats odd.
your probly putting it on too heavy. you should be misting several layers. ie do 4-5 light mist layers. leting it dry/take between layers for 15 minutes or so. the first layer being a light mist is the most important.
also make sure you are in a dry warm enviroment.
and let the body change temps before you start painting. ie if the bodys was stored inside, set it outside for 15 minutes so it can become the same temp as the air your painting in and condisation doesnt occur. of course thats only for extreme temp changes from inside to outside.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

also good washing, scuffing, and final wash/dry before painting
nharkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
RCC Addict

What he said lol. Also are you using the PS Tamiya paint or the TS? You need to be using PS for lexan bodies.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

yeah i am definately using lexan paint. i would say i may me applying too heavy of coat of paint. and what would one mean by scuffing?
Old 04-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Hi
I've painted over 900 bodies and have not received any complaints about chipping or flaking. The reasons paint flakes are:
1. oils or release agents left on the plastic. Clean with water and or rubbing alchol.
2. paint is sprayed on to thick and starts to adhere to it's self while drying not the plastic. Spray on in THIN misting layers, let each layer dry before applying more. This thin layer is forced to adhere to the plastic as it dries to fast for it to start adhering to it's self. Once a base coat of paint is applied, thicker layers can be added as the paint is no longer sticking to the plastic, it's sticking to the thin layers of paint you've just misted on.
3. Your using a paint that is not by it's nature flexable. Auto paint is an example. Use paints designed for painting plastic body shells.
All these paints will scratch off if you don't apply a sealer coat to protect the paint.
4.Using a hair drier can affect the paint. Painters will use a hair drier to hasten the drying time of paints. However this heat will also affect the plastic, if the following layers of paint are applied to a heated up plastic body, the paint will not adhere very well. Always let the body cool to "room Temp" before adding more layerts of paint.
5. Scuffing bodies when your going to use opaque paint colors will not harm the results. However if your going to spray candy colors, transparent, or translucent colors, scuff marks will show.
I don't know any professional painter that scuffs their bodies before painting.
hope this helps
caci623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:41 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Weird im very off the beaten path with painting bodies. I don't wash them out, try not to touch the insides. I paint outside in cold temps. let dry inside and never had this problem. ive used almost every brand of paint out there and never had paint flake off.
Androtaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

thanks for all the help....as i stated i bet i put it on too thick. the body was an old eletric rustler silverado body i fitted to my deadbolt it looks sweet but is losing paint with everybump and rollover. oh well bodies are cheap ill use these tips on my text body thanks again everyone!

help with paint chipping? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Painting a body with chipping paint! Intashu Axial SCX-10 8 03-09-2013 04:13 PM
Lexan Shell Paint Disaster, Paint Removal? Big Tex Paint and Body 15 02-08-2012 12:58 AM
primered paint job is chipping? pantablo Paint and Body 5 03-08-2009 06:23 PM
paint chipping webster420 Paint and Body 10 01-07-2009 11:38 AM