Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Just wanting to get my ducks in a row.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 04:25 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question Just wanting to get my ducks in a row.

So I picked a Mojave body kit in white and I'm at the stage in my build where its time to start doing some bodywork. I've never done any work with styrene type hard bodies so I did some searching and read through a bunch of threads and I think im ready but just wanted to make sure I have everything in order, haha.
First off, is tenax 7r or plastuc bondene going to be the best route for gluing everything together, or should I be using ca or superglue? Secondly, what's the best filler? I've read Bondo works fine, but I've seen some stuff made by Tamiya.. Is it any better? And finally, how fine of a grit should I take it too to come out half way decent?
Any comments would really help me out... Im a total numb at all this bodywork
Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Just wanting to get my ducks in a row.

I would use tenax or some other plastic welding cement for fixing styrene to the ABS body. CA will work, but it's not a welded fix.

For body filler, pick up some squadron putty... it comes in green or white. I prefer the green cause I can visually identify it better.

I work with 150, 250, and 400 grit sandpaper while working on plastic/styrene. That's just for bodywork and putty type of stuff. Once the primer goes on I may use those same grits for any defects still visible.

For wet-sanding the paint layers (assuming you want a smooth, glossy finish) then use 1200 - 2000 grit.
Honger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
So I picked a Mojave body kit in white and I'm at the stage in my build where its time to start doing some bodywork. I've never done any work with styrene type hard bodies so I did some searching and read through a bunch of threads and I think im ready but just wanted to make sure I have everything in order, haha.
First off, is tenax 7r or plastuc bondene going to be the best route for gluing everything together, or should I be using ca or superglue? Secondly, what's the best filler? I've read Bondo works fine, but I've seen some stuff made by Tamiya.. Is it any better? And finally, how fine of a grit should I take it too to come out half way decent?
Any comments would really help me out... Im a total numb at all this bodywork
There's a sticky thread at the top of this section. It has all of the information you need as far as what materials to use and why except for the sandpaper question.
☆ The Chop Shop What Glue to Use For Body Work/Repairing Cracks in Plastic and Why ☆
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:14 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I would use tenax or some other plastic welding cement for fixing styrene to the ABS body. CA will work, but it's not a welded fix.

For body filler, pick up some squadron putty... it comes in green or white. I prefer the green cause I can visually identify it better.

I work with 150, 250, and 400 grit sandpaper while working on plastic/styrene. That's just for bodywork and putty type of stuff. Once the primer goes on I may use those same grits for any defects still visible.

For wet-sanding the paint layers (assuming you want a smooth, glossy finish) then use 1200 - 2000 grit.
Thanks for all the info! I couldn't for the life of me figure out what grit to use. So wet sand between coats? Should I wet sand the primer too?

Quote:
There's a sticky thread at the top of this section. It has all of the information you need as far as what materials to use and why except for the sandpaper question.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/paint...astic-why.html

I read your write up, I was very good and loaded with info! Just a quick question, haha I've never worked with this stuff before so I might be asking a dumb one, lol. When I apply the tenax, do I let it sit for a couple seconds and then put the pieces together or?? Im still kinda lost on working with this stuff, haha
Old 05-07-2014, 06:59 AM   #5
Fan of wheelspeed

No, you want to hold the pieces together and then apply it. You use the brush and apply a couple of fairly heavy coats to the seam. As for the sanding part, you don't wet sand until after you've got your first two coats of primer down. Then you'll wet sand in between each coat.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdady View Post
No, you want to hold the pieces together and then apply it. You use the brush and apply a couple of fairly heavy coats to the seam. As for the sanding part, you don't wet sand until after you've got your first two coats of primer down. Then you'll wet sand in between each coat.
Ok, Thanks! I think I've got enough to get me started. I appreciate all the guidance. It's nice to know that if somebody has questions about things, they're are guys on here to send ya in the right direction. Makes the hobby all that more enjoyable

Just wanting to get my ducks in a row. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ducks 1st day at work. ROCKEDUP RICKY Scale Videos! 3 03-23-2014 09:25 PM
ducks vito Chit Chat 2 09-15-2012 06:57 PM
lol: buddys Go Pro+RC boat+ducks= STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 32 01-28-2011 08:21 AM
pit row r/c MaXX_CrAWlER7 Chit Chat 1 08-25-2007 07:35 PM
ruh row 85burbanator Chit Chat 7 07-05-2006 10:15 PM