Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Did I screwed up the masking of my Land Cruiser?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #1

Default Did I screwed up the masking of my Land Cruiser?

I was about to finish masking my Tamiya Land Cruiser, just got the big patch of roof to go:

The colour scheme is:

- Red body, back with white, as per test piece in picture
- White roof
- Black wheel arch and rear fender
- Silver/Chrome step plate

Then I read the build instruction and it says to paint the black first, then the body, then finally the roof. i.e. I would need to mask the entire body shell except for the wheel arch and rear fender!

Have I completely screwed up the masking? Or is it ok to paint the body first? Will the black show through the body when I paint the wheel arch and rear fender after?
robo555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.
Default Re: Did I screwed up the masking of my Land Cruiser?

As per the instructions, dark colors first light colors last. You might have messed up a little bit but it isn't to bad. At least you didn't get to far into the process. You're going to need a lot of masking tape too.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
RCC Addict

The colors change a bit depending on what they are backed with. If you do another test piece in red & back it with black it will appear a darker shade of red than the same backed with white.
The white backed with black can look.....I don't know the right word......a little murky, dull, stained, not as crisp as it could be.
I have painted dark to light & light to dark & been happy with the results. I too tend to mask as you have, mask the small areas & paint the large first.
If it were me I'd paint the red, then the white, then the silver & the black last, keeping the black low around the body & trying not to put it under the white section of the roof, even re-masking just below the windows back up.

My painting isn't perfect by a long shot, but passable, from a distance haha
This is Tamiya PS bright red painted first & backed by the light gray on the hood, then the whole lot backed with black.
[EDIT: I remembered this ^ wrong & have corrected]

Last edited by altd896; 07-06-2014 at 08:58 PM.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #4

I always do black last because I back everything with it... but thats me
Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:36 AM   #5
RCC Addict

When I paint a body like that I spray in this order. Red first, then back it with white and spray the roof at the same time, spray the silver for the steps amd back everything that was white with the silver so the black does not bleed through then finish it with the black.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
When I paint a body like that I spray in this order. Red first, then back it with white and spray the roof at the same time, spray the silver for the steps amd back everything that was white with the silver so the black does not bleed through then finish it with the black.
May be this is what I would do, it's just too much effort to mask the entire truck to paint little strips of black. Would the silver backing the white roof affect the colour? Is it just regular Tamiya PS12 or something like PS41 bright silver?
Old 07-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo555 View Post
May be this is what I would do, it's just too much effort to mask the entire truck to paint little strips of black. Would the silver backing the white roof affect the colour? Is it just regular Tamiya PS12 or something like PS41 bright silver?
Jwalker and I would paint this body exactly the same. We're both professional painters. The idea of painting darkest first, lightest last is to prevent darker colors from showing thru. If you back any color with silver before spray your next color you won't have any darker colors show thru.
hope this helps
caci
caci623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Yes you would back the white with ps12 cause it is more solid than the light silver. It will not affectbthe white at all, it will just keep the darker colora like black from bleeding through the red amd white. Yes you will use more paint but it will be faster.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:34 AM   #9

Great to hear caci623 and jwalker. Being a newbie it already took me ages to do the current masking, and it seemed silly to mask the whole truck. Glad to hear I don't need to fix anything, and PS12 won't affect the white at all.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I do the same, I always back my lighter colors with a flat white backing, that way it really doesn't matter what you put over it and in cases like yours it saves a lot of extra masking.
Heckler is offline   Reply With Quote

Did I screwed up the masking of my Land Cruiser? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
15 trucks Offroad: Sniper Land Rover D90 D110 Ford Land Cruiser Trail Finder 2 Dingo boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 08-30-2012 07:48 AM
12 trucks Mudding! Land Rover Honcho Land Cruiser Dingo D110 RSOV Wraith King Hauler boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 07-16-2012 06:27 AM
hard jeep/land cruiser/land rover body IronRC Paint and Body 2 03-02-2008 10:14 PM
Land Cruiser BCCrawler 2.2 Scale Rigs 12 10-14-2006 01:45 PM