Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Does anybody if you can shoot clear over vinyl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Does anybody if you can shoot clear over vinyl

I want to know, if I can use Krylon ColorMaster Flat Acrylic Clear on Vinyl stickers to seal the edges and make them tear resistant, the hood is enamel oil based three coats, the truck box lid is aluminum and both have been scotch padded and will sand if needed to make the flat clear stick better.

Last edited by kgb424; 03-25-2015 at 05:52 PM.
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2014, 07:59 PM   #2

Default Re: Does anybody if you can shoot clear over vinyl

That should work fine. I have cleared over stickers and decals using automotive urethane ckears with zero problems.
straydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:52 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I'd make sure that the clear is compatable with the paint around the stickers! I ruined a nice paint job by not doing that.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:40 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I bought this in the same section as I got the other enamel paints, I used flat enamel and scotch padded between coats on the hood, the truck box is aliumium and also will be scotch padded then wiped with 99% alchol and I will apply the Vinyl stickers centered up and no bubbles and the edges sealed, I will then try to then spray it lightly and evenly, and hopefully get no runs or drips, cause I'm going to spray the whole truck to seal in my rust work and the dents and dinges and to seal the Metallica sticker to the truck box lid to keep it looking good, I can keep shooting clear over it as it gets crawled and rolled.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:33 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Some ya can some ya can't I would just get a test piece of the sticker, hit it sixth some clear. You'll soon know if it is compatible or not.
Trail Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:09 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

hey Riff Raff why does the flat clear chemical react with the vinyl and discolor it or screw it up and make it look bad. They are good quality stickers, and good flat clear.

Last edited by kgb424; 08-02-2014 at 02:15 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:39 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I am no expert man, I can only speak from my experience, usually it's the it's the thinners in auto paints that reall give them grief, but that sounds to me like it maywell be a waterbased ink on the sticker,, if when air brushing, and I use a waterbased paint, acrylic, I will get all sorts of problems like that, however if I simply change my medium to the urethane based medium all is well, in the end I have always tested first and I wouldn't just listen to us on here then go spray right over your expensive stickers,There must be a little off cut you can test it on,,,, I would do that to be certain. That's no disrespect to all you other guys it's just my thoughts,, hope it helps
Old 08-02-2014, 04:58 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I had a hard time finding flat clear that I could work with on shells. I ended up using some Testors spray. I don't like the Krylon flat clear (or the Rustoleum either).
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The Krylon Flat Clear is all I could find locally, Walmart has Gloss clear and all three Walmarts are out of stock, the local Micheals only has the Gloss, same with O'reilly's and Napa and Auto Zone gloss only, I don't want a glossy shiny finish, I got rust and dents and the Vinyl stickers that's why I'm using the Flat its more of sealer then to make it shiny. here are some pics of my beat and rusting truck and it looks like it been rolled at least ounce and has a hole rusted out in the bed, it basically looks like a salvage title vehicle with a fresh rattle can paint job on the trim and hood. I like it, its different than the other Toyota bodies, It's the Pick N Pull special of the week.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Did a good job on beating it up mate,my thoughts on ya clear, acrylic paint is flexible, so in theory,it should work well with lexan. i know ya can get ya primer to suit the plastic,really adhesion is the thing to take care of IMO, get that right, then ya stickers just need to be cleared with ya flat clear.m
Old 08-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

If you have material run a test, take some of the left over clear from the decals and shoot it and see if you can adhere it to a part of the truck and see if it wrinkles the decal/AKA a bad reaction, if it does oh well it's not like your tryin to make it pretty just do a small spot/ corner of the bed or something (not your windows) and see what happens. Just seeing what most the spray on Clears can be applied to its prolly safe, if not oh well do it up with some more of your cool damage paint job until you find the right mix

Last edited by RockBiter; 08-03-2014 at 10:21 PM.
RockBiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:55 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I just did a test with a body I was doing, water based acrylic, for some reason, even though I prepped and primed the lexan body, the art work I did on the bonnet washed right off, I was washing it to clean it with water, the paint was dry and still washed off. I just ordered some createx wicked so it doesn't happen again. Just thought I would share that with u,
Old 08-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

My Toyota body is a hard body that is ABS plastic, that has been scotch padded and ruffed up, the rust colored paint sticks pretty dam good, because of the different textures the torch made while doing the dents and the ruffed up sections and I used Nitro fuel to remove the green paint it left the finish pitted and ruff and weird feeling, I think the clear should be alright, it not smooth, like Lexan and the body is ruffed up, so the spray clear should stick, if not, I can buy some brush on flat clear that's not Acrylic, maybe some enamel lacquer or some automotive finish and use light coats and scotch pad between coats and put the stickers on top of the clear instead of under it. not sure going to look online and see what I can find.

Last edited by kgb424; 08-05-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Yea, I it's a bit of a pain, but a nice learning curve, what's really funny is I thought I had this dialled lol then bang got this to deal with. Anyways once the new paints come through will get that sorted
Old 08-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I did some online looking and what was available in my area, and I came up this, some Testers #1260 DullCote Spray Lacquer which is a Flat Enamel clear finish, I still need to do the sticker test and see what happens. The rust colored paint is enamel and so is the hood and the windows and fender flares and the racing stripe are all enamel, So the Testers should work better, than the Krylon Acrylic flat which I found out is water based.

Last edited by kgb424; 03-25-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I'm glad I bought two of these Metallica stickers, they only had one green and one black and I snatched up both them, the green one is Killer on my laptop, the black is going on the truck box lid and going flat clear it to seal it. I might spray the one on my laptop to seal but not sure if I want to take a chance and screw up my laptop. I could mask it off and tape it good, I'll think about it.

Last edited by kgb424; 03-25-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

The fact that you love Metallica makes you special in the riffraff club lol so far there's only me and u
Old 08-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I grew up in the bay area, I seen them years ago in the early 80's when they were doing the club gigs, before there albums, before the world wide tours, before Metallica was in face and up your XXX, they blew me way, and that was it, I will love Metallica until I die, they are big part of my life, I would go see the every time they came to play, that's four to five times a year for years, and a lot of them where back to back over two days, there from San Francisco, and I lived in the bay area in San Jose, they where there and every where and so was I, I loved it I couldn't get enough of it. Metallica was a house hold word in my house, my Mom knew who Metallica was and there music and she would talk other parents into letting there kids go to Metallica concerts, and that it was good for growning boys to rock on. I love and miss my MOM, she got it when a lot people didn't. love you Mom.

Last edited by kgb424; 08-06-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Hey Riff Raff is not AC/DC from Australia, Brian Johnson is British and from England but thought Angus and Malcolm Young were from there, and had to wear the school uniforms in school and it became there thing in the band. AC/DC is another band I seen a bunch of times back in the day.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb424 View Post
Hey Riff Raff is not AC/DC from Australia, Brian Johnson is British and from England but thought Angus and Malcolm Young were from there, and had to wear the school uniforms in school and it became there thing in the band. AC/DC is another band I seen a bunch of times back in the day.
Both Angus and malcum young are Australian the band is considered Aussie though even though as you say Brian Johnson being a pom. And although legendary, have nothing on Metallica and pink floyde in my opinion,