Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Using Rhino Liner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #1

Default Using Rhino Liner

Has anyone ever used rhino liner or equivalent to paint their scale bodies? That's what I want to do with my Cherokee body when I get it in next week. If nobody has, then I'm going to do a write up about it.
wil3284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Using Rhino Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil3284 View Post
Has anyone ever used rhino liner or equivalent to paint their scale bodies? That's what I want to do with my Cherokee body when I get it in next week. If nobody has, then I'm going to do a write up about it.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/search.php
hotrodsonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:58 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I've used Duplicolor's rattlecan bedliner quite a bit, but you have to scuff the plastic and then apply their adheasion promoter first with it if you plan on applying it to bare lexan. It does work nicely as bed liner, but I've also used it inside the bodys to them a bit more opacity and.......heft......, plus if you're shooting a Grave Robber hearse, one of HPI's musclecar bodies for the Maxx/Savage trucks, one of the VTA bodies, it works great for creating a durable vinyl appearing top! I've even used it to give some texture to the soft tops and tonneu covers on the TJ and Rover bodies like were put on the Crawler Kings from the factory.

Here's a few examples:

My XJ's

My old TJ

The Rover

The Grave Robber

Did a few Proline Helios bodies too

And my latest victim, my new Traxxas Telluride!

Last edited by BJoe; 08-21-2014 at 12:19 AM.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:02 AM   #4

That's not a bad idea, its super durable if you prep it right, and looks good too!
FabricatorChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricatorChris View Post
That's not a bad idea, its super durable if you prep it right, and looks good too!
It does hold up well under most crawling conditions, although I have ground through it on the Revo Helios in spots from crashed and tumbles plus I have just worn through portions of it on the blue TJ and green XJ bodies, but I've wheeled the livin' crap out of those two
Old 08-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #6

Thanks Joe!!! I'm telling you what man!!!, Your XJ's look f'n radical!!! (yes I said radical) I can't wait to get my body here so I can start painting it. Those fender flares look BA too.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #7

>>>>to Sonoma.... I did use the search engine, which what do you know turns up nothing about what I asked, (rhino liner on the body). So I started a thread, asked the question, and you waste your time and my time buy posting a search link, (like this is 2005 and people don't know how to use a website still). If you don't want to chime in with something useful to what I asked, ignore the thread and keep trolling. Please if you have something cocky or negative to say, don't waste your time because I really don't care. sorry to whoever reads this, this type of stuff just really gets to me. rant over

Thank you to who actually contributed to this. When I get my body I'll do a write up with pictures so there actually is something in the search about rhino lining bodies.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:00 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Wil, and you're welcome!

I don't remember anybody else posting a tutorial on using the stuff, and I haven't done one even though it's something I've done for a while now.

Just remember, if you do try it and shoot over bare plastic, prep the body like you normally would, then scuff it with fine grit sandpaper, reprep the body (I like rubbing alcohol personally), apply the adheasion promoter, wait the prescribed 10 minutes, then lay down 'liner like you were shooting normal paint. If you want the rougher texture, once you get a good coverage, shoot the stuff in short bursts and let it hit the body kinda lumpy. For the painted surfaces, I just shoot it straight over the lacquer without any additional special surface prep. The Telluride is the first pre-printed body I've done it to and while the outside is the same as shooting bare plastic, I have no idea how well it will stick to that "paint", but time and my abuse will tell.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Almost forgot, the cans in the background are what I used, the cans are at least a couple years old, so I'm not sure what the look of the cans is now like.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:23 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Not sure what phrase you used for your "search" but I turned up 46 threads on using spray on bed liner paint but searching this area I keyword "liner"... There's quite a few good threads with some really helpful info and pics if you feel up to trying it.

--Dan
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I used some -ish from Rustoleum that was a fine textured satin black spray can that looked like a dead ringer for a bed spray. I used it on a styrene 1/6 scale trailer.

BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Looks good!
Old 08-24-2014, 01:46 AM   #13

that does look good!!! Ahhhh my Cherokee body is sitting at the ups facility right now and isn't going to be delivered until MONDAY!!! I'm also waiting for my 55t motor in that shipment too. the suspense is killing me
Old 08-24-2014, 01:46 AM   #14

I was also thinking about that rubber liner I keep hearing about. Have you worked with that at all Joe?
Old 08-24-2014, 09:05 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Haven't worked with the rubberized stuff, but knew a couple people that did. From what I was told, it stays tacky and a bit gooey, so I wasn't wiling to try it.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #16

well never mind about that then. I definitely don't want that. See I have a k2-3l chassis that I bought back in 2008 and never built it because of orders to turkey, Iraq, japan, Iraq, then divorce while in Iraq, injured in Iraq, got discharged for being injured, back to hometown, civilian life adjustment, adjustment to my disabilities, custody battles, moving to florida, going to college, I have no hobby, bought a scx-10, and finally came across this old k2-3l chassis that I bought. Which now brings me to this, getting my scx-10, and building my k2-3l. I know that I want to use axial everything and I'm hoping that someone here can give me some good news and say it's possible lol. No matter what I'm going to buy the parts, because if it doesn't work I have spares for my scx-10 lol.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Hate to say it, but I haven't worked with the K2-3L chassis, lots of time tinkering with the stock AX-10 and converting that to a SCX-10 though! Hope everything else goes well, haven't crawled much in the last couple years (lack of funds) and even though I was hoping to get more than a couple trips in, it hasn't looked that way this summer (got the funds, have lacked the time to get out.)
Old 08-25-2014, 08:12 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
Looks good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil3284 View Post
that does look good!!! Ahhhh my Cherokee body is sitting at the ups facility right now and isn't going to be delivered until MONDAY!!! I'm also waiting for my 55t motor in that shipment too. the suspense is killing me
Thanks. Here's a webz pic of what I used. It has enough texture to "look" right.

BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote

Using Rhino Liner - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rhino Liner on hard body? bergerone3 Paint and Body 13 06-09-2013 09:10 PM
Bed liner cougardave RC4WD Trail Finder 2 2 07-25-2012 05:53 PM
i want to but a globe liner body diantae Newbie General 3 04-16-2011 10:57 AM