Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Cool way to mount bodies with magnets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2014, 07:50 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Cool way to mount bodies with magnets

I stumbled across a really neat, effective and inexpensive way to mount bodies with magnets, helped by an idea from one of the "kids" at my LHS. I've already used it on my CR-01 FJ40 (lexan body) and will use it on all lexan bodies going forward. I also plan to put it on my upcoming TF2 build and retrofit to my Gelande.

Here's what you'll need:
-- 8 x 1/2" round magnets (2 for each mounting post). I used these:
http://www.michaels.com/pro-mag-neod...agnet&start=21
-- 4 x tree nuts (1 for each post). Exact size will depend on the width of your body posts.
Shop The Hillman Group 1/4-in-20 Zinc-Plated Standard (SAE) Brad Hole Tee Nut at Lowes.com
http://www.lowes.com/pd_437202-37672...7C1&facetInfo=
-- CA (preferably one that takes 20 seconds to set and that can be used with an accelerator)
-- Shoe Goo (optional)

1. If you get tree nuts with the prongs (teeth), use pliers to bend those up to where they are level with the wide base.

2. Screw one tree nut onto the top of each body post with the wide base of the nut facing the body. If the posts are metal, make sure that you pick a tree nut large enough to barely slide over the post and then secure with either Shoe Goo or CA.

3. After mounting the tree nuts onto the posts, use CA to glue one magnet onto each post. Place an extra bead of CA around the magnet to make sure that it is well secured to the tree nut. Use your accelerator if you have one at this point to make sure the CA has dried. I recommend alternating polarity from one post to another so that the body will "find" the right alignment more easily whenever you lower it onto the posts.

4. After gluing the magnets to each post, place a second magnet (the "upper magnets) on top of the glued magnet on each post, but without any glue for now.

5. On the body side, I recommend using Shoe Goo to glue a scrap of lexan or styrene at each mounting point so that the magnet that you will be gluing on the body side doesn't mess up the paint. It will also allow you to remove a magnet if necessary without messing up the paint. If you use Shoe Goo (as opposed to CA), I recommend letting the Shoe Goo dry overnight before the final step so that it's fully cured.

6. The last part is the most fun. I recommend practicing lowering the body onto the posts without glue several times so that you get used to aligning the body with the posts on the first touch. This should only take a few tries. Once you have practiced your alignment, put CA on top of each upper magnet, lower the body onto the magnets, and press down firmly at all 4 mounting points for a full minute to allow the CA to cure. Then let it sit for a couple of minutes before removing the body.

The result is a very strong (I can hold up a 7-lb rig with just the body, as you can see below), looks great (no more clips), and makes it super easy to take the body off when it's time to wrench. And did I mention no more clips?

Here's what the finished product looks like:
Name:  IMG_4153.jpg
Views: 3074
Size:  114.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4156.jpg
Views: 3024
Size:  82.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4157.jpg
Views: 2995
Size:  69.6 KB

Name:  IMG_4158.jpg
Views: 2997
Size:  142.9 KB

I hope this is useful. Enjoy!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Cool way to mount bodies with magnets

Great idea! Thank you for the info and the pictures. I'm going to get the parts and probably do exactly what you've done.
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:17 AM   #3
Fan of wheelspeed

This method does work great, but a good friend sgtbham brought to light the ability for the magnets to slide side to side. THe best way to do this type of mounting (that Donnie found) was to capture the magnets. In other words, create a box of sorts that enclose the magnets from the bottom of the chassis mounts all the way to the body undernieth. It keeps the body from sliding off side ways when you slide up against a rock or roll over and will only allow the magnets to be seperated by pulling straight up on the body. Nice write up though. Very usefull info here .
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:24 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdady View Post
This method does work great, but a good friend sgtbham brought to light the ability for the magnets to slide side to side. THe best way to do this type of mounting (that Donnie found) was to capture the magnets. In other words, create a box of sorts that enclose the magnets from the bottom of the chassis mounts all the way to the body undernieth. It keeps the body from sliding off side ways when you slide up against a rock or roll over and will only allow the magnets to be seperated by pulling straight up on the body. Nice write up though. Very usefull info here .
I thought about that at first and was prepared for the possibility that I might need to do something like that. But it turns out that a good CA seems to be more than enough to keep the magnets in place on both the frame and body sides. The tree posts give a nice wide base to glue the magnets at the posts, and there's plenty of surface contact at the body. This has already had probably 5 hrs of runtime without any issues with the mounts.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Pretty easy to do captured magnets so the body doesn't slide around. However, the body will still pop off when rolling down a hill.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I have bought rare earth magnets from this store...Rare-Earth Magnet, Cup & Washer Sets - Lee Valley Tools Glue the magnet to the body, screw the cup to the body post. The cup multiplies the magnets holding force by 4, and it won't slide around.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the additional info, Johnnysplits. :thumbsup: Good to know there's an off-the-shelf option for captured magnets. My system doesn't slip at all (doesn't even budge a millimeter), probably due to alternating polarity. The body "finds" it's alignment, locks in, and holds until you roll it, lol.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:23 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Thanks for the additional info, Johnnysplits. :thumbsup: Good to know there's an off-the-shelf option for captured magnets. My system doesn't slip at all (doesn't even budge a millimeter), probably due to alternating polarity. The body "finds" it's alignment, locks in, and holds until you roll it, lol.
C'mon man...this shits been around for at least 10 years that I know of, probably longer LOL j/k!! You have the right idea though. I have a Chevy body that I had someone paint for me that I would have hated to drill. I first used these magnets on the hatch of my catamaran. A lot of people would use these ugly methods to hold the hatch in place. I used magnets with cups and countersunk washers on my hatch...you saw nothing up top...clean!!
Old 09-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I've got two rigs with the magnet set up, if you use strong magnets it doesn't slide around at all. Shoe goo'ed to the body and to the posts.
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Lol, Johnnysplits. That's why I chose my words carefully ("stumbled across" ... "helped by").
Old 10-29-2014, 08:46 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I like this way to mount the bodies too. To prevent the body from sliding I usually hinge the body in the back and use the magnets in the front only. Body doesn't come off even when it rolled several times
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #12

I've heard of using magnets to mount bodies before, but I've never tried them. I got some good ideas from this thread. Thanks!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
I have bought rare earth magnets from this store...Rare-Earth Magnet, Cup & Washer Sets - Lee Valley Tools Glue the magnet to the body, screw the cup to the body post. The cup multiplies the magnets holding force by 4, and it won't slide around.
I bought the same magnets. Acording to manual it is very hard to separate magnet from a cup!? Is it too strong?
DACAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:14 PM   #14

This is a great idea. Any problems with them pulling paint off from inside?
StereoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:03 PM   #15
RCC Addict

These are a great option for captured magnetic body mounts. They adjust just about any way to can think of. Great product!

Killa-Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa-Cotton View Post
These are a great option for captured magnetic body mounts. They adjust just about any way to can think of. Great product!

The idea has been around a long time but mfg are getting on board and starting to make money. Not a problem with me I love the clean look especially when going scale. Nothing screws up a look like post sticking in the air.
Gene Hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:07 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoGuy View Post
This is a great idea. Any problems with them pulling paint off from inside?

No problems as long as everything is well glued inside the body. I use CA liberally to cover the body side of the magnet and then run a bead of CA around the edge of the magnet (using accelerator to harden) once it's in place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2016, 08:37 PM   #18

great idea, ive been wondering about this myself
adam22es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:26 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

I'm assuming that the magnets won't mess w/ the electronics? I want to use a magnet for a hood latch, just wasn't sure.

sent via jeep thoughts
freakylee77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:58 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakylee77 View Post
I'm assuming that the magnets won't mess w/ the electronics? I want to use a magnet for a hood latch, just wasn't sure.

sent via jeep thoughts

I haven't had any issues at all and use them in close proximity to electronics on multiple rigs.

Cool way to mount bodies with magnets - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to mount bodies xtreme4x2 Micro Scale Rigs 2 08-03-2013 01:12 AM
how do you mount your hard bodies? chicostaxxs007 Paint and Body 7 02-25-2010 10:41 PM
Cool scaler bodies... braceysdad Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 54 01-20-2010 10:54 PM
cool muscle car mrs4 bodies? cammok5 Chit Chat 0 10-10-2007 11:04 PM