Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Help! Advice needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2015, 03:07 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Help! Advice needed.

Hi Guys,

I recently masked off areas of my FJ cruiser shell (CC01) and sprayed the shell black.

I sprayed three coats of PS-5, light coats.

Unfortunately my masking wasn't as good as I thought and now have bleeding and paint that has leaked through various pieces of mask.

I have decided to scrap the masking tape and just spray the whole shell black and use some clear on the outside to create a matt affect in areas.

My question is should I just spray the rest of the paint over the original three layers? Will this still look even from the outside even though there will be more paint in some areas of the shell?

Need some tips or advice on how to correct this.

Thanks.
BTaylor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2015, 09:19 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Help! Advice needed.

Bump
Old 01-20-2015, 09:40 AM   #3

I would try to just spray the areas that haven't gotten any paint on them. Obviously don't spray it so it runs but I think if you should be fine since its only one color. Just try and add the 3 coats to where your spraying and it should turn out just fine.
XJsport95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:48 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

That's great, thank you.

I just hope it looks the same shade of black from the outside, which I imagine it would. I just didn't want there to be a defined line that was noticeable where the old paint meets the new as there is a small lip on the inside.

I think I under estimated how precise the masking tape must be to create a very straight line, this being my first build I will learn from this mistake.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:23 PM   #5

I think I would also attempt to mask of and build up the other layers, but it will be nowhere near as noticeable being under shiny Lexan. The only real concern is how opaque it is, which again using black should not be a major issue. Taping off the inside of a Lexan body is not the simplest of task, but make sure you have a decent masking tape...I am a 3m guy myself ,but there are plenty of brands out there...don't use that 3m blue house paint crap or some off brand Imation tape or you will regret it. Another tip is to go very lightly and almost dust the first few layers on...kind of how you should be painting Lexan anyway, this will build up a edge or dam to stop the heavier wet coats from seeping under the tape. I also always get my tape off as quick as I can, don't risk destroying your fresh paint ,but after it has tacked up start tearing that tape off to lessen the chance of loosing your crisp line. All of this comes with practice, I have been messing with paint for a few years and still screw up so keep that attitude and improve on the next one.
krazyglu is offline   Reply With Quote

Help! Advice needed. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice Needed Devil Inc Paint and Body 6 08-25-2012 10:21 PM
Advice Needed papabash Team Losi Comp Crawler 12 07-31-2012 09:15 AM
Advice needed sc10 man Non Crawler RC's 1 05-21-2012 07:56 PM
Advice needed wetvettetom Electronics 4 03-16-2011 11:32 PM
If you had to do it all over again... Advice Needed! ericinMD Axial AX-10 Scorpion 21 02-23-2010 09:52 PM