Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Can some please tell me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2015, 12:05 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Can some please tell me

I glued in the half cab back on my Mojave body, and it didn't turn out so good.

My question is how would you fill in the gap and get rid on the white film from the crazy glue I used.

do they make a yellow filler, I have some body Glaze but its red and I don't want to have to prime the body and paint it

I rather leave it yellow and unpainted

I need to know how to fix it so it looks good and you don't see my screw up.

Last edited by kgb424; 02-04-2016 at 03:58 PM.
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2015, 07:42 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Can some please tell me

Chances are even if you find a yellow filler it wont match close enough for you to be happy with it and you will see where you sanded it. I have heard of people mixing styrene and tanax 7r to make a goo to use as a filler. You might be able to cut or grind up some of the parts trees and make your own filler but I'm not sure if the color will still match and you still will have sanding marks. I'd try it on a few scraps first.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I just ordered some Tenax 7R, from Amazon, now I need some of the yellow plastic from the part trees, to make a filler paste
Old 03-12-2015, 05:56 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I might just use body glaze, and send to some one to primer it and put a finish coat on it, since I can't paint to save my ass and I want it to look good not shit if I did it
Old 03-12-2015, 07:21 PM   #5
RCC Addict

yes you can use the tennax and shavings from the parts tree to make a filler ......should be almost exact color as long as there are no other contaminents
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:20 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Viper6171

how much Tenax to plastic shavings is it 1:1 ratio are you making a paste and filling the gaps then sand, how long do I have to use it and how long does it take to harden

is their a sticky on how to make filler out of plastic and Tenax
Old 03-12-2015, 11:18 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Its more or less trial and error with amounts, if your trying more for a paste then it will be a lot more shavings to tenax. It only takes a few drops to really melt fine shavings, and you won't need much for that repair.

The way I've always done it is use an old empty jar of tenax filling maybe 1/5 of it w tenax and the rest of it with shavings, give it a few good shakes let it sit for a bit then shake more repeating until it's fully "melted" the styrene. Then I add more shavings and a bit more tenax repeat repeat repeat..... But I usually keep about a half a bottle full of the paste to use as filler because I do a bit of scratch building, if you're only doing the back window you won't need nearly that much.

The other thing you'll want to know is the filler will dry with a slight egg shell type gloss to it compared to the body and is usually noticeable. Since most are painting afterward it's not a problem but if your not painting I'm not sure how you'll like the looks, but at least it will be yellow compared to your current situation.

-Dan

Edit: just thinking but I may have some body's sitting with the raw filler on them now, if so I'll post a pic to show you the final look of it.

Last edited by sickcivic95; 03-12-2015 at 11:21 PM.
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:19 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Viper please do post some pictures, I don't know how long the it will take for me to get the Tenax, I also need some yellow RC4WD plastic part trees pieces, I thru mine out when I put the body together.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:55 AM   #9
Fan of wheelspeed

Sorry man, but unless you're really good at polishing plastic you are going to have to either paint it or live with being able to see the difference between the virgin plastic and the putty you make out of shavings. If I were in your shoes I'd treat that area with the Tenax, use the paste out of nearly any color plastic and then follow that step by sanding it and applying a coat of primer. If you go that route be sure to paint it in very light coats. Basically just fog the body a few times for the first coat of primer. After that has dried you can hit it again. Ideally it should take 3 coats of primer to cover the yellow plastic. Any less coats and you're spraying to much paint in one coat.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Hoosierdady

how much would you charge for a simple primer and finish coat, or can you recommend some one on here, since I can't paint it, I want it to look good not like crap
Old 03-13-2015, 10:22 AM   #11
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb424 View Post
Hoosierdady

how much would you charge for a simple primer and finish coat, or can you recommend some one on here, since I can't paint it, I want it to look good not like crap
PM in bound sir.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote