Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: need some input from you - delrin rod roll cage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2015, 02:15 AM   #1
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Default need some input from you - delrin rod roll cage?

Hey guys. I've been into RC about a year and a half now and I'm getting more and more in to it. I have a Wraith, just got a Yeti kit, and I have Two traxxas speed demon bashers. Anyway, I'd like to fab a internal roll cage for on my Traxxas rides since it flips all over the place. Plus i think it'd look cool sprayed in a candy paint .

I've read a lot of threads here about using steel rod. However, I'd like to keep it as light as possible. Seems to me the Wraith cage material would be perfect. heck, I might even be able to buy one of those and cut it up. Thought about styrene too. I know that would not be functional though and I'm pretty sure it'd be good for a few (show no go) pics and then be destroyed the first pack out . Someone mentioned Delrin but someone else said ti could be brittle. Can you get the stuff the Wraith is made from by the foot?

So I'm looking for some advice on those of you "in the know". No need to create the wheel twice as i am quite certain I am not the first person with this idea. Not sure I would do a full cage like the metal ones for sale or just a cage within the body area.

Is this crazy, or possible? Is my only option of connecting drill and tap or are there some connectors? Open to whatever input and advice you all might have. Just finished a fun paint job and think it'd look cool with roll bar inside.

Last edited by IPT; 03-17-2015 at 02:22 AM.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2015, 08:00 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: need some input from you - delrin rod roll cage?

I have tried making a Delrin cage in the past with limited success. Initially I tried to weld the pieces together, which worked but wasn't very strong and didn't look pretty. I ended up making it so it bolted together. At the end of the day I just learned how to braze steel and haven't looked back. You could also try making it out of alumin of ou are super weight consious.

Last edited by EeePee; 03-17-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Gen3_Teg_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:30 PM   #3
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the input. Anyone else have success?

Saw something about Nylon 6 rod? Some guy apparently makes some crazy strong cages out of them. I've seen some people mention using brake line. is that Aluminum? Isn't aluminum difficulty to braze/bond?
Old 03-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Brakeline is steel. You can also by 3/16" Dom tubing for about $8 for a 3ft stick on eBay and you can weld or braze it together. It is pretty light and looks scale.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #5
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Dom tubing? Is that abbreviated or what it actually is called? Still seems like bending Nylon or Delrim would be easier but if I knew that I would be asking you guys . Keep the input coming and at the end of the day looks like I'll just have to do some experimenting.

Is the Wraith chassis Nylon 6 or some other material?
Old 03-17-2015, 04:27 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

DOM = Drawn on Mandril, it is a process used to make the tubing. There are several different technics,DOM is one of the stronger.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:16 AM   #7
IPT
Quarry Creeper

found some rod like delrin but not quite as pure for about $2.50 a foot. Gonna play with that and see how it goes.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:39 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I'd stick with brakeline or DOM If you want it to be all about strength. Styrene works very well and many have built complete rigs out if it without them being destroyed. For just a cage it would hold up but would need much more reinforcing vs steel.

Delrin can be manipulated similar to styrene but is much more difficult to bond two pieces together so I'm not sure how it would work out. If your planning on bolting it together you may have to overlook the "scale" appearance to achieve the final product but it would be stronger vs styrene if done right.

I think you are on the right track with buying a small section and playing around with it to see if it will work out how you want it to

-Dan
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:06 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
found some rod like delrin but not quite as pure for about $2.50 a foot. Gonna play with that and see how it goes.

good luck its gonna bend/ break like a pretzel . just do it right with 3-16 brake line, not as hard as you think.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #10
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I'm just going to play with it for now. For now it's going in a basher so I'm not stuck on being "scale" per say. I can hide the screws behind the pillars or roof line . I actually want it to flex some. Just enough give so it won't snap but not so much flex the body cracks from it taking the brunt of cartwheels and such . I'm too intrigued though and think in addition I will try my hand at some of the brake line builds. Need get set up to braze though.

need some input from you - delrin rod roll cage? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith cage from scratch - tube frame top vs roll cage top? phillyb Axial Wraith 3 12-20-2013 06:50 PM
Roll Cage/Exo Cage? ZackMicF Paint and Body 6 07-04-2012 06:19 AM
Delrin rod or PTFE filled delrin newmexicocrawler General Crawlers 5 01-29-2011 08:52 AM
Drilling Holes into Delrin rod for rod ends FDAapproved Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 10 02-13-2009 03:44 PM
making a cage out of delrin rod or tube? badhoopty Tools, and Procedures 12 07-18-2007 08:49 PM