Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Spray paint body or not question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2015, 08:48 PM   #1

Default Spray paint body or not question

Hello

I can't decide what I should do. I have the SCX-10 jeep rubicon and really want to paint the front grill flat black/then re sticker it maybe. I think I'm going to start with the hood also flat black where the stickers are and probably black where all the black sticker are. I'd stop there unless it looked bad then I'd probably paint the whole thing.

My question is how badly does spray paint scratch when it's sprayed on the outside? As long as it doesn't scratch on every little thing I hit I'll be ok with it. I'm not a aggressive driver and don't do through to much weeds and thick bush so as long the paint can take light wear and tear I think I can make it look a lot better. Do most people paint the outside of the body or the inside? Or both? I'd like a new clear body so I can paint the inside but I don't want to spend that much on the body right now. I have more urgent things I need to purchase to keep it up and running.

Sorry if this post is hard to follow lol I'm super tired and might not be making sense.

Thanks for the help peeps!
TraumaChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2015, 09:30 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Spray paint body or not question

Spray paint on the outside can be durable if the surface is prepped correctly and you use the right paint. Both of my SCX-10's are painted on the outside, and both have taken end over end rolls and side rolls without scraping off the paint, but I paint in layers, to mimic scraping to bare metal, and rusting. I've used both Tamiya PS paint and also Rust-oleum for plastics, for proper adhesion.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:44 PM   #3

Cool thanks

Can't wait to do it
TraumaChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Here is another option, it's what I did 5 years ago. And by the way, still holding up.

I, like Mike, painted the outside of the body. I started with a product called "Bulldog" it's a adhesion promoter, sold at auto body paint supplyers. I'll try to find a picture. Spay it on and let it dry. You won't even see it because its cristal clear.

Then I picked up some Krylon fusion at Ace Hardware. 16oz for $6.00 goes a long way.
I got gray, black and yellow. Gray first for the primer effect and the black and yellow are main body colors.

Here's what is looked like last year, which is 4 years old when the picture was taken.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:28 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I've had good luck with first spraying a polycarb paint (usually Tamiya black or silver) as sort of a primer. Then just any old rattle can. I've done fine texture Rustoleum over this, and never had any flaking off, and that's with no scuffing the lexan, just cleaning it.

-Derek
SuperDrty is offline   Reply With Quote

Spray paint body or not question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
spray paint HunterGilmore Paint and Body 0 06-03-2014 06:48 PM
Mailing spray paint 1BadJeepBruiser Chit Chat 23 09-04-2009 09:54 PM
red spray paint thevulgarcowboy Illinois 5 02-20-2009 08:59 PM
chrome spray paint? Crawler374 Paint and Body 20 01-16-2008 11:03 PM
Tamiya paint spray Garrett Paint and Body 10 02-11-2007 08:46 PM