Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Crew Cab Clod Vuck (Van + Truck = Vuck)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2015, 08:31 AM   #1
Fan of wheelspeed

Cool Crew Cab Clod Vuck w/ Fighter jet paint

So I cracked open a jar of Peach Moonshine and drug two Clod Buster bodies out of my body bin this past Saturday. I sat there staring at them for a while, got up and walked around for a while longer, etc. I've had some serious family issues pop up a few weeks ago while I was out of town in Logan Ohio attending the King Of Gurus. Without going into details it made me second guess my involvement in this hobby since it happened while I was 9 hours away from my kids. I pretty much got back in town that day, dropped everything in the basement floor and that's where it has sat ever since. My wife even asked me if I had anything to build and gave me permission to buy something new if I needed so I would get the drive to work on them again. So there hasn't been any desire at all to mess with RCs. I even stopped vending for the most part. So Saturday as I emptied the jar I started drawing. I decided to take a step back to one of my biggest and oddest jobs from a few years back, the crew cab Vucks I did for Lockeduprc.com. I don't have many progress pics, but what I have I'll post here.

I started by chopping up a Clod cab.

The more I looked at it, the more I wanted a shorter nose, so I cut out roughly 1/2" and moved the grill back.

Then I hacked up the other body to make it into a crew cab.

Next up, finish the roof and rear windows. Then I bob and drop the bed.

Last edited by Hoosierdady; 08-31-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #2
What could go wrong?

Default Re: Crew Cab Clod Vuck (Van + Truck = Vuck)

That is seriously ugly, but it looks great!

Can't wait to see more!
Noll11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:01 AM   #3
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noll11 View Post
That is seriously ugly, but it looks great!

Can't wait to see more!
It definitely has a "so ugly I can't stop looking at it" kinda vibe. It started out as a project to get me back into the swing of things and before I even made it to the crew cab part it was spoken for. I have a couple of other neat projects in the works. I'm thinking Cobra truck and also making a Midnight Pumpkin that'll fit a SCX10.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:34 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Good to have you back, Hoosier, hope all is well on the home front. This looks like an interesting build, it looked really cool with the single cab.

Wish my wife would tell me to go out and buy a new toy,
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:25 AM   #5
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Good to have you back, Hoosier, hope all is well on the home front. This looks like an interesting build, it looked really cool with the single cab.

Wish my wife would tell me to go out and buy a new toy,
Thanks Mike. Last night she pulled up some chick flick on Netflix and sent me to the basement again. Here's what happened...

I went ahead and bobbed the bed, cut the floor out and made the rear window more realistic. Now I'm just waiting on styrene to wrap up the body and ship it out to Ohio. This body is getting a Flying Tigers military fighter plane paint scheme too. I'll be doing "metal" body panels and rivets in the paint work. THe rivets will be raised for a 3d effect. Probably some fender exhaust ports, bullet holes and a Army themed pinup model on the tail gate. I can't wait to get started on the paint work!

Last edited by Hoosierdady; 08-11-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:09 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Hope all is well at home. I really liked the single cab, but this is looking great and the paint scheme sounds awesome too!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:01 PM   #7
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Hope all is well at home. I really liked the single cab, but this is looking great and the paint scheme sounds awesome too!
It's slowly getting back to normal, thanks man. As for the paint, here are two pics that I'm using for inspiration.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:54 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The paint scheme is going to be cool, and I like the profile shot. I'm interested to see how you do the rivets. When I scratchbuild locos for my outdoor railroad, I'll use a large pin and dip into testors model cement and the place the tip onto the piece that I want the rivet. The only problem with that method, is you have to wipe off the tip of the pin every so often, or you'll get progressively larger rivets as you continue.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:14 PM   #9
RCC Addict

glad to see you coming back Hoosier, hope things are getting back to an even keel at home . really like this one and the original vuck's ....will be watching
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:11 AM   #10
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
The paint scheme is going to be cool, and I like the profile shot. I'm interested to see how you do the rivets. When I scratchbuild locos for my outdoor railroad, I'll use a large pin and dip into testors model cement and the place the tip onto the piece that I want the rivet. The only problem with that method, is you have to wipe off the tip of the pin every so often, or you'll get progressively larger rivets as you continue.
I was looking into using the pinheads themselves as rivets, but I think it'd stand out to much. I was actually going to use some CA glue on a hat pin to make the rivets. Great minds think alike .

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper6171 View Post
glad to see you coming back Hoosier, hope things are getting back to an even keel at home . really like this one and the original vuck's ....will be watching
They are finally, and thanks. It's fun to pull a project out of thin air and just wing it.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdady View Post
It's slowly getting back to normal, thanks man. As for the paint, here are two pics that I'm using for inspiration.
Good to hear and wow those are badass!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:07 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Looks great as a clod crew. Looking forward to seeing it progress

The original "vuck" made by jeeper05 is still going strong. He did a fantastic job starting it and I havnt had to make a single change to it since I acquired /finished it.

hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:32 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Glad to see your back, your body work has always been an inspiration
idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

More interested in that blown & tubbed Blazer in the background.
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:33 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZ View Post
Go to the Non-crawler RC section and you'll find the build thread on that blazer
Old 08-14-2015, 06:40 AM   #16

I envy guys like you that have the patience to do this stuff! And your garage is awesome!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:41 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Love the chevy vuck! Makes me want a square body suburban vuck in 1:1
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:39 AM   #18
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Good to hear and wow those are badass!
Thanks man. They spoke to me and I've been wanting to do a paint scheme like this for a while now. Derrick Johnston of the Ohio Gurus gave me free run of the project from start to finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
Looks great as a clod crew . Looking forward to seeing it progress
The original "vuck" made by jeeper05 is still going strong. He did a fantastic job starting it and I havnt had to make a single change to it since I acquired /finished it.
Thanks. Your regular cab was the inspiration for both double cab Vucks back in the day and this one too. I remember when Patrick at lockeduprc.com approached me and asked if I would be interested in building them. He had a couple of pics from when yours was built. It was definitely a "What the Vuck" moment, but it grew on me fairly quick. I have no clue why I chose to do it on a Clod, the Sharpie just kinda decided for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho View Post
Glad to see your back, your body work has always been an inspiration
Thank you sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZ View Post
Quote:
Go to the Non-crawler RC section and you'll find the build thread on that blazer
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I envy guys like you that have the patience to do this stuff! And your garage is awesome!
Thank you. It's fun to tinker with smaller scale items every now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
Love the chevy vuck! Makes me want a square body suburban vuck in 1:1
Me too. It's different for sure.

So I made some progress on the Vuck this weekend. This has been a fun project so far, I love being able to build it how I want and change things on a whim. My days of commissioned body work may be over, lol.

I have a few sheets of decals I'll be using to help detail the truck out.

I'm thinking the name is The Shell Pusher as of now. I had the Pinup girl resized for this project.

I decided the Vuck needed some split windows so I split the front and rear windows. I was back and forth on this detail, but I think it fits the theme very well and once the detail work in the paint starts being applied it'll come together. It's more "helicopterish" than fighter plane, but they both fit in well.

I'll be adding a B-pillar to the rear cab portion too. I also have to finish up the drop bed. I just have the wheel wells and the floor of the bed to finish in that department.

I also filled the tailgate in. This will give me a cleaner look for the back end. I also boxed out the tailgate handle while I was at it to give it a more finished look. I figure my pinup girl will probably go on the left side of the tailgate. Not sure yet on decal placement.

Last edited by Hoosierdady; 08-17-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:02 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Very nice detail work, as usual.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:05 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Hope every thing is getting better in your life. You can't stop making your bodys for your RC brethren these fine pieces of work all though this is a little out there but I must say I'm starting to see hole pic now. I've been in and out of the auto body work all my life and I always liked this kind of project were you just go for it and see what you end up with your heading in the right direction my rc friend really hope it is helping you out of the hole your in or what ever it my be I've been there my self as I'm sure we all have life can deal some awful stuff but this is were time is a wonderful healer

Last edited by rjwalker; 08-17-2015 at 02:08 PM.
rjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chop, clod, crew, shop, vuck

Crew Cab Clod Vuck (Van + Truck = Vuck) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crew cab clod hotwheels000 1.9 Scale Rigs 26 02-05-2017 07:00 PM
Clod Crew Cab Crevelinator 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 04-24-2014 09:44 AM
looking for mega cab dodge or crew cab truck. rockslide710 Paint and Body 0 01-22-2012 05:23 PM
clod crew cab alabamaman General Scale Talk 0 01-16-2011 09:22 PM