Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Most efficient way of chopping off ABS fenders?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2015, 12:48 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Cool Most efficient way of chopping off ABS fenders?

Well I figure it's time to show some more love to a used 1/8 New Bright body I picked off eBay a few months ago at a good price uncut with full interior no holes to putty up either and had already been primered.

I'm mounting the huge body in a GCM Cross Canyon chassis which fits perfectly. To be a tad different I'm running Vanquish Wraith Curries loaded up. Tranny is a loaded up SuperShafty V1 bombproof scx10 already mounted to the front motor plate t case is now setup. Next is body, and hooking up suspension, drive lines, and electronics.

So it's with that said I've seen the thread method but I can't get close enough with thread to make a clean cut around the huge stock hard plastic fenders flares. I tried scoring the edges of the fender flares with a fresh blade on my hobby knife and actually started penetrating through after about 20 minutes lol!

Last thing I want to use is a small diamond cut off wheel on a dremel and sand out the rough patches, but is that what most people would do on a tight spot to remove very thick ABS plastic?

I plan on mounting Axial's plastic Jk fenders just because with some spray on bedliner it would look sick and they won't rub my 2.2" tires without running a ridiculous SLW offset hub. I plan to stay within 425 SLW.

ANY EASIER METHOD WOULD BE GRATLY APPRECIATED!!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Most efficient way of chopping off ABS fenders?

im not completely clear on what you are doing. You want to lose the thickness of the abs fender flares but keep the thickness of the body underneath?

If that is the case i would trim it as close as possible with a saw blade or dremel and then tape the surrounding area very well and level out the offending area with a sanding block or file.
onebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:02 AM   #3
Fan of wheelspeed

Cut off the bulk of the flairs using a Dremel with a thin cut off wheel. Sand the flat face of the fenders with a sander or sanding block. Then you can use a sanding drum bit in your Dremel to get a smooth radius and remove excess material AFTER you have installed the new flairs.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I haven't had the need to do it with ground RC's but when i flew planes and Heli's for tight spots i used a fine and extra fine coping saw blade chucked up in an old hex driver handle. I broke the blade in 1" and 1-1/2" size depending on how tight of a space. Because they are flexible they go around corners fairly easily. One blade turns into 4-6 blades.

I have also use a coping saw scroll blade chucked attached to a 1x1 piece of wood. Kinda looked like a small sling shot or one of those gum cleaning things with the blade between the handle.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:53 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I use my band saw and clean up with a dremel. I put painters blue tape on the fender as a cutting guide.

Last edited by CODYBOY; 10-06-2015 at 01:02 PM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote

Most efficient way of chopping off ABS fenders? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chassis (chopping) question IPT Formula Offroad 4 06-03-2014 11:59 PM
Chopping off the Tekin On/Off switch EeePee Electronics 9 06-19-2010 06:03 PM