Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Paint and decals?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Paint and decals?

I would like to paint my Twin Hammers' body panels olive green and turn it into an US Army car (something like the photo below). Now, how do I go about the decals? TH being a rock racer, is going to get scratched like hell so I was thinking of applying the decals on the inside and then painting the panels (also from the inside). I am just curious if paint over decals will hold up. Or maybe there is better approach you can recommend?

The photo is not mine, I just borrowed it from the internet. It shows almost exactly what I am trying to achieve on my Twin Hammer.

drabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Paint and decals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabina View Post
I would like to paint my Twin Hammers' body panels olive green and turn it into an US Army car (something like the photo below). Now, how do I go about the decals? TH being a rock racer, is going to get scratched like hell so I was thinking of applying the decals on the inside and then painting the panels (also from the inside). I am just curious if paint over decals will hold up. Or maybe there is better approach you can recommend?

The photo is not mine, I just borrowed it from the internet. It shows almost exactly what I am trying to achieve on my Twin Hammer.

Typically when I do lexan slot car bodies I place the decals on the inside. Most of the time I am using water slide decals, however on occasion have used plain old stickers.

Water slides are simple, soak apply and move on. If you are applying to contoured areas you can use chemicals to soften the decal(microsol) and get it to conform.

Stickers are done inside and backwards, using clear glue to hold them in place. Results will vary depending on a steady hand and type of glue. Some stickers can be placed on using water to adhere them, and then once dried they stay put. The paint that goes over them really is what holds them in place.

Couple things to mention. You have to pay attention to the decals backing, some are backed in white so they stand out some are not. It makes a big difference in how viewable they turn out. You also need to watch your paint. Some paints will melt the sticker/decal or dissolve the ink. I always cover the back of my stickers/decals with a coat of modge podge to create a barrier between the ink an paint.(when working with non acrylic paints)

Based on what you want I would search out water slide decals printed on clear material with a white undercoat. That is one where it is inked white first and then the color is applied over it. The paint is your choice but acrylic poly carbonate paints have been a safe choice when painting over water slides. I recommend looking at microsol and microset solutions for waterslide work.

Last edited by Ditchrat; 02-05-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:05 PM   #3
Fan of wheelspeed

If it's a new lexan body just order the normal decals, place them on the exterior of the body and shoot it green. Then peel them off and paint the inside of the body white where the stars were. You can also do all of the paint on the inside and paint the exterior in a satin or flat clear made by Tamiya. I've done it both ways. Either will turn out great.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:02 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for replying. The more I think about the project the more I lean toward just painting all olive green and sticking regular decals on the top. Somehow I doubt my painting skills to be able to pull painting over stickers or masking and painting.
drabina is offline   Reply With Quote

Paint and decals? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
paint, decals, clear coat desertdude Paint and Body 3 09-08-2015 09:35 PM
decals and paint 7echo Paint and Body 1 10-30-2013 07:19 PM
stickers/decals and paint Verdion Paint and Body 3 06-03-2011 07:45 AM
Vinyl window decals as paint masks? chaotic_life Chit Chat 1 04-08-2006 03:37 PM