Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Paint Newb Needs Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2016, 08:09 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Hello, I am thinking about attempting to replicate the Axial Yeti GeoCamo design ( Axial Racing - Y-480 1/8th Scale Body - .040" (GeoCamo - Green) ) on a honcho body (made of polycarbonate). I heard that Tamiya PS paints are good for polycarbonate, but I looked at their color chart on their website and I can't find any color even similar to the darker green-blue color on the GeoCamo body, as well as I can't find any color similar to the grayish color on the GeoCamo body. Does anyone know of other paint companies or other types of paint that would work on Polycarbonate that are somewhat similar to these colors? BTW the colors do not have to be exact- something similar is fine.

Also, I forgot to mention, what should I use to back the colors on the GeoCamo design?
Thank You!

Last edited by THX_138; 03-05-2016 at 01:35 PM.
caleb.cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2016, 11:22 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Paint Newb Needs Help

Do you plan on using just rattle cans or do you have access to an airbrush or spray equipment? You could try to use PS-44 trans green and back with a blue if you want to really color match. Otherwise I would just go ahead and use PS-9 Green for the dark parts. That color looks like a gun steel blue on the prepainted panels in pics. I can't recall if I have seen them in person though.
Dextroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:29 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I only own 2 RCs at the moment, and only one of them I am actually considering painting. So Unfortunately, I am not thinking about getting an airbrush because I don't want to spend the extra money on something I'm only going to use once or twice in the next few years. I'd rather just get some cheap paint cans. Thanks for your color recommendations, I might try that. Also, If I use the translucent green and back it with blue, how thick of a coat should I use for the green?

Last edited by caleb.cole; 02-18-2016 at 06:33 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:34 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

You'll need a piece of scrap to test the blend. Hobby lobby sells pieces of acrylic glass for really cheap if you don't have any scrap pecan.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:16 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

What should I use to back the whole body?
Old 02-19-2016, 01:18 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Depending on your color choices usually a white or black spray would be fine. I use waterbased paints and seal with Faskoat either with a bristle brush or my airbrush. I have also used Krylon fusion black as a backer. I would advise using a test piece before spraying different paints onto each other though.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:02 AM   #7

check out PARMA, I love their paint, lots of color choices. PARMA/PSE - FASKOLOR Paint Shop
Lordtuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:10 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Have a wrap made by Krawlerconcepts, feqeskins or Sor graphics. Cheap and easy alternative and they can match it almost exactly.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Paint Newb Needs Help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lexan Shell Paint Disaster, Paint Removal? Big Tex Paint and Body 15 02-08-2012 12:58 AM
Paint mask or easy way to paint houndstooth...ideas? nascarkeith Paint and Body 3 01-10-2012 01:57 PM
not a newb but have a question of newb stature Brandon88 Electronics 11 04-14-2010 08:53 PM
Newb question to beat all newb questions vinster888 Newbie General 3 12-29-2009 07:24 PM