Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Plastic cutting services?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Plastic cutting services?

Afternoon fellow RCC'ers, I turn to you with a question that I have been trying to find an answer to but have been unsuccessful with. I am looking to build a scale body and I need the rough body panels cut out and some details cut out of the grill, I'm not looking for 3D printing seeing as these are flat panels, is there a service out there that I can send in my design and they will cut them out for me? I know they have laser cutting for metals but is there a service like that for plastics? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance for all your help.
Synister_Intent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2016, 04:32 PM   #2
Got Worms?

Default Re: Plastic cutting services?

ponoko has laser cutting

There might be some vendors on here that do it as well but it's been awhile since I've checked so I don't want to name anyone.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:50 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Why not learn how to cut stuff out for yourself? The guys that build from scratch are good at what they do because they self taught themselves. If you're going to be good at building your cars/trucks, teach yourself. This is one of the more expensive hobbies to be in, save a buck where you can.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:30 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

If you are going to be using styrene and your panels are relatively flat, it's very easy to work with. Most lines can be scored and broken clean. What body are you trying to replicate?
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:11 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Just a suggestion or two, and I am piggy backing on Mike Flea's comment, styrene as you probably have researched comes in a number of thicknesses. If you know the pattern and have adequate drawing skills, just sketch the pattern, cut it out and practice on say .020 or even thinner first. It scores, even cuts very clean with a Xacto or razor knife. I have also printed the build I am researching to a pre-determined wheel base and cut out that and used it as a pattern. Hope this helps.
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:38 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
Just a suggestion or two, and I am piggy backing on Mike Flea's comment, styrene as you probably have researched comes in a number of thicknesses. If you know the pattern and have adequate drawing skills, just sketch the pattern, cut it out and practice on say .020 or even thinner first. It scores, even cuts very clean with a Xacto or razor knife. I have also printed the build I am researching to a pre-determined wheel base and cut out that and used it as a pattern. Hope this helps.
Hey Synister Intent, you need to pay attention to, and take the time to look at some of his work. He is one of the best at working with styrene bar none!!! Check this out. The Blazer/Charger or I May Be Nuts?
Ernie,

Last edited by CODYBOY; 05-14-2016 at 10:51 PM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:02 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Get some styrene sheets and cut them yourself. It is actually really easy unless you plan on mass producing panels for a packaged assembly I don't think finding a laser cutter is going to be worth it.

I got my sheets from here, eStreetPlastics - styrene store, and they are fairly inexpensive.

You'll need a good exacto or razor and a metal edge for cutting against and a few types of glue.

Last edited by offroadace; 05-15-2016 at 12:25 AM.
offroadace is offline   Reply With Quote

Plastic cutting services? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cutting plastic thumper68 Tools, and Procedures 4 06-08-2010 11:04 AM
Hack saw for cutting plastic? Darto501 Newbie General 7 03-20-2010 02:47 AM
Cutting Plastic Drive shafts Norris Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 06-19-2009 12:05 AM
cutting tranny when cutting bottom of chassis off... dieselfuel Newbie General 1 02-23-2006 08:10 PM