Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Painting with a brush.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Painting with a brush.

I was thinking about painting my next lexan body with a brush, using acrylic art paints. I like have more color choices, and being able get some good detail without all the pain of masking and dealing with spray cans. I Google searched it and really only found a couple of results, both seam promising. So has anyone on here tried this?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Waitwhatsthat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2016, 12:42 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Painting with a brush.

your art paints will chip off unless you use a thin layer of lexan paint first.

I also recommend using solvent based paints rather than water based, it goes on thicker and gives more even coverage.

Have fun
onebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:20 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

This might better for ya...

Parma Faskolor
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:08 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the link. Can use a brush with the air brush paints? I assume I can, but have never messed with them before.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:30 PM   #5
SMW
Rock Stacker

What are you trying to do with the brushed on paint job ? I think if you just take your time with the included window masks supplied with most new lexan bodies, and use other masks available for " custom " flames, or many other designs available, you will be able to spray paint a body that you will be very happy with. Parma has some fun masks and also makes great faskolor paints. Faskolor however is made for airbrushing. If you just want a fast and functional paint job just use window masks and spray paint the body with a clear color then back with silver. This will give you an easy job that can turn out pretty cool. Another trick to a cool finish is removing the window masks when the paint is completely dry and backing the complete inside of the body with black paint. This will give you the black windows along with a deep looking paint finish. Good luck and have fun. You will be surprised what you can do if you just try.
SMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:30 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58_Willys View Post
This might better for ya...

Parma Faskolor
those a water based and what I use of my airbrush. If you are using a bright color and can back it in white spray go for it. Otherwise its going to take you quite a bit.

you can use any paint with a brush, just gives different results.
onebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:35 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMW View Post
What are you trying to do with the brushed on paint job ? I think if you just take your time with the included window masks supplied with most new lexan bodies, and use other masks available for " custom " flames, or many other designs available, you will be able to spray paint a body that you will be very happy with. Parma has some fun masks and also makes great faskolor paints. Faskolor however is made for airbrushing. If you just want a fast and functional paint job just use window masks and spray paint the body with a clear color then back with silver. This will give you an easy job that can turn out pretty cool. Another trick to a cool finish is removing the window masks when the paint is completely dry and backing the complete inside of the body with black paint. This will give you the black windows along with a deep looking paint finish. Good luck and have fun. You will be surprised what you can do if you just try.
I've painted many different bodies in the past. Was just curious about trying something different than the usual rattle can job. I thought that maybe I could save some time with all the masking if I used a brush for the detail stuff. I might still try it on some lexan scraps first to see how it comes out and holds up.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:45 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Hi
I've been painting with acrylic paints for over 10 years. If your wanting to paint large flat colored areas you'll need several layers . I have not had any problems with peeling or chipping. I back all my bodies with Faskote sealer. On this body the WOLF is painted with a brush and the rest of the body was air brushed.
caci623 is offline   Reply With Quote

Painting with a brush. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brush help Drifter_X Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 12-13-2011 10:08 PM
To brush or not to Brush that is the question Happy_trucker Newbie General 9 05-25-2009 01:55 AM
Painting with a brush? Mighty Mouse Paint and Body 6 03-13-2009 10:09 AM
Painting Basics - Painting Tips and Tricks stampedeproject Paint and Body 0 03-09-2008 10:39 PM
AIR BRUSH! I don't need not stinking air brush... BUBBA069 Chit Chat 16 02-27-2007 01:16 AM