Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Long wheelbase options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2016, 11:25 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Long wheelbase options

My question is whether or not these bodies on a long wheelbase fit dimensionally on a c-channel chassis. I'm building a class 3 rig and will be using large 1.9's or smaller 2.2. I've got the swb covered so now I'm looking for something in the 12.75 to 13 range. Most of these bodies say for monster trucks but wasn't sure if that meant there was drastic changes in dimensions other than wb. Please feel free to post any pics you might have too.
Pro-Line Racing Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Clear Body
Pro-Line 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor Clear Body
Pro-Line 1972 Chevy C-10 Long Bed Body
Pro-Line Dodge RAM 1500 Clear Body
Pro-Line 2014 Chevy Silverado Clear Body for Revo, Summit, T-Maxx, Scaler
Pro-Line RAM 1500 Clear Body Scaler T-Maxx 3.3/Revo 2.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dpcardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2016, 01:32 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Long wheelbase options

Check widths, that's going to be most important following wheelbase. Obviously needs to be wide enough to wrap around the chassis, but not so wide they exceed outer sidewall-to-outer sidewall by much, if at all. Could be narrower by a bit if your fenders allow large tires without rubbing and your ride height is good enough.

Vaterra Ascenders tend to have bodies that look very scale because they don't allow stock tires to stick out past the fenders. Bodies for the T/E-Maxx and Revo tend to be too narrow, often with relatively small fender openings because they only need to provide clearance for suspension arms rather than tall tires running on those chassis.

The Pro-Line Dodge T-Maxx/Revo body is 7" wide, for example, while the Pro-Line Dodge SCX10 is 8" wide - the SCX10 Body reaches a little past the center of the Super Swampers pictured. Take a half inch off each side for the Traxxas-style body and I think it would be less than satisfactory. However, the wheelbase is 13.25" on the T-Maxx body vs only 12.3" on the SCX10 body. Both have great big fenders, very helpful.

The Jeep is 8" wide and 13.2" wheelbase - sounds much better, but the fenders aren't as large for big tires, raise it up or cut the flares - IMHO.

The Raptor is 7.25" wide, that's a little too narrow, IMHO - but it does have nice large fenders, and it's WB is 13.125".

The '72 Chevy Long Bed is 6.75" wide at front wheels and 7" wide at the rears, and has a 12.6" wheelbase. Personally I think it's too narrow, although again the fenders are decently-sized - but it does have the shortest wheelbase of the Traxxas-sized bodies..

Lastly, the 2014 Chevy Silverado is 7.5" wide and has 13" wheelbase, just a tad narrow - but very small and squared-off fenders that would most likely need to be cut.

Personally, I'd go for the Jeep - there are more variations on how you can customize it anyways, and it should fit well.

An option would be to go with a cab-only body and the Axial caged open bed part - even though they are aimed at 12.3" wheelbases, it should look fine to have the rear wheels further back as there are no real rear fenders. Not sure if you like this look, though. Many to choose from! Widths are basically all perfect. Big tires work great. Vintage trucks, domestics and imports.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks a ton! That is exactly what I was looking for. I'm running XR width tko10 axles so they are already wider than stock scx10 axles. I'm less concerned about the wheel wells because I'm likely gonna have to do some trimming regardless of body I get.

dpcardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:59 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpcardoza View Post
My question is whether or not these bodies on a long wheelbase fit dimensionally on a c-channel chassis. I'm building a class 3 rig and will be using large 1.9's or smaller 2.2. I've got the swb covered so now I'm looking for something in the 12.75 to 13 range. Most of these bodies say for monster trucks but wasn't sure if that meant there was drastic changes in dimensions other than wb. Please feel free to post any pics you might have too.
Pro-Line Racing Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Clear Body
Pro-Line 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor Clear Body
Pro-Line 1972 Chevy C-10 Long Bed Body
Pro-Line Dodge RAM 1500 Clear Body
Pro-Line 2014 Chevy Silverado Clear Body for Revo, Summit, T-Maxx, Scaler
Pro-Line RAM 1500 Clear Body Scaler T-Maxx 3.3/Revo 2.5

You can also go to the ProLine Racing website and get the dimensions by checking the spec page on the body.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:45 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Here's my 2017 Raptor body you've got in the list up there. But I did shorten mine by 1 1/8" to fit the wheelbase of my SCX10.2 kit, in 2 spots in the doors. This will at least give an idea of width for you.

-Derek
SuperDrty is offline   Reply With Quote

Long wheelbase options - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Short vs Long wheelbase? maddmaxx46 Newbie General 17 05-31-2014 07:16 PM
Long vs short wheelbase soundmaster Axial SCX-10 11 10-29-2013 08:39 PM
Around 11.5" wheelbase options. Lukescb7 Paint and Body 6 04-23-2012 03:02 PM
body options for 9.5" wheelbase shanks Tamiya XC/CC01 1 02-27-2011 03:58 PM
19" WheelBase to long? team-nyke Tamiya Clod Buster 2 12-19-2004 02:14 PM