RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Paint and Body (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/paint-body/)
-   -   Masking the windshield (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/paint-body/573752-masking-windshield.html)

yoavba 10-31-2016 01:26 PM

Masking the windshield

Hi,

I'm about to start the paint-job for my new Gelande II D90.
What would be the best leak-proof method to use with the windshield and the windows?
Should I use tape or liquid masks?

Thanks.

Halme 10-31-2016 04:04 PM

Re: Masking the windshield

Put a double layer of blue masking tape all over the piece, then cut out the mask from to-be-painted areas including the gasket with a sharp knife. Be careful. Don't forget to mask the inside of the windshield too and after your paint has cured, paint the gasket black by a brush or a good marker.

Normal masking tape may let the vapours of solvent through and result in frozen window effect.

TacoCrawler 10-31-2016 06:00 PM

I'm a little confused as to what needs masking off ?

I thought the windshield's clear plastic insert is removable ?

besides... even if ya did mask off the insert...
and screwed that up during the process... it's replaceable.

RC4WD Land Rover Defender D90 Plastic Clear Window Set Z-B0053 Gelande 2 Body Set - rc Bitz

Possibly I'm misunderstanding what the OP wants to do ?

yoavba 10-31-2016 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halme (Post 5583029)
Put a double layer of blue masking tape all over the piece, then cut out the mask from to-be-painted areas including the gasket with a sharp knife. Be careful. Don't forget to mask the inside of the windshield too and after your paint has cured, paint the gasket black by a brush or a good marker.

Normal masking tape may let the vapours of solvent through and result in frozen window effect.

Thanks Halme.
What do you mean by 'blue masking tape'. Is it a particular product? a brand?

yoavba 10-31-2016 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TacoCrawler (Post 5583081)
I'm a little confused as to what needs masking off ?

I thought the windshield's clear plastic insert is removable ?

besides... even if ya did mask off the insert...
and screwed that up during the process... it's replaceable.

RC4WD Land Rover Defender D90 Plastic Clear Window Set Z-B0053 Gelande 2 Body Set - rc Bitz

Possibly I'm misunderstanding what the OP wants to do ?

Thanks TacoCrawler for both respond and link.
In the link you provided, the windshield is the lower part. Of this part, the area that needs masking is just the big rectangle with the rounded corners. All the resit is supposed to be metal and therefore should not be masked.

Halme 11-01-2016 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoavba (Post 5583119)
Thanks Halme.
What do you mean by 'blue masking tape'. Is it a particular product? a brand?

It's called perhaps as the "painter's tape" or something similar at local hardware store. Usually it has a blue colour on (Scotch is a trusted brand) and should be a very common product!

TacoCrawler 11-01-2016 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoavba (Post 5583124)
Thanks TacoCrawler for both respond and link.
In the link you provided, the windshield is the lower part. Of this part, the area that needs masking is just the big rectangle with the rounded corners. All the resit is supposed to be metal and therefore should not be masked.

gotchya... I failed to even look at the link I posted. ~ doh ~ oops :oops:

duct tape !? :razz: Lol/no

Lavigna 11-06-2016 01:39 AM

I have found the best practice for eliminating paint bleed, is to do the first 2 coats very very light. Just a single pass or 2 for the firts 2 coats. This allows the paint to seal that edge, without excessive evaporation, which can push up the tape. Of course, you want to make sure all your tape lines are firmly pressed down before the first coat.

Mike Flea 11-06-2016 04:32 PM

There's another painter tape that is green, sometimes called Frog Tape, that seals better on the edges than the blue. check out frogtape.com

yoavba 11-06-2016 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Flea (Post 5586052)
There's another painter tape that is green, sometimes called Frog Tape, that seals better on the edges than the blue. check out frogtape.com

Will do. Thanks.