Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: RC4WD D90 Detail Painting Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2016, 10:16 AM   #1

Default RC4WD D90 Detail Painting Help

So I'm currently building an RC4WD Gelande II D90 and I've gotten to where I need to paint the interior and I want it to look nice and not just be one solid color. I'm very very new to painting and I have never detail painted before. Can anyone give me some tips on how to paint things like the seats, dash, gear sticks etc... Obviously I will need to do it with a brush so can someone give me some info on types/brands of paint, paint brushes and painting methods/techniques? Thanks!
Hypergarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2016, 02:43 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: RC4WD D90 Detail Painting Help

I actually have one of those interiors that I am getting ready to paint too. My process generally follows the layer painting sequence like one would use for model miniatures (tabletop war gaming is my other hobby).

Since it is always easier to darken an area rather than lighten it up, I would start by priming the whole thing with a gray spray, like this. Follow up by painting the larger areas, like the seats, dashboard, and floor whatever color you choose for each. At this point, depending on how detailed you want the interior, you could just stop here, maybe with a few minor details added. However, I personally would add some shadowing to the creases of the seats and a good load of detail to the dashboard, because the dash layout usually changes a great deal depending on the type of build. I am doing a military build, so I will be adding a radio and possibly a little GPS to my dashboard.

For the paints, there are a few different ways you could go. If you aren't going to go super crazy on details, I would start with the gray primer, followed by a spray for each big color (seats, dash, floor) masking as needed. Then it can be finished off with some brush paint. For this series, I would just use Tamiya's TS paints and XF brush paints. However, Testors paints can be substituted instead, as the Tamiya's are a bit more expensive (but better, in my opinion).

Personally, I am going crazy detailed on my interior, so I will actually be using my miniature paints, which are Games Workshop's Citadel line. Both the Citadel and Tamiya paints are acrylic, but I have much more experience with the Citadel (but I have used both brands).

For brushes, Tamiya's small brushes work great. This pack is actually what I use for the majority of the painting on my miniatures.

Sorry for the novel, but I hope it helped a bit...
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:36 PM   #3

Thank you so much that helped a ton! Now I know this is probably going to be a dumb question but keep in mind this is literally my first time brush painting (besides watercolors in elementary school haha). Will I need certain types on paint brushes or will certain ones work better than others? or can I just go with anything?
Old 11-29-2016, 05:15 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I would just use the brush set I linked to, here. The big brush may be a bit small, but it will give you better control over the paint. The medium brush is good for doing some large but detailed areas, and the small brush is really only good for detailing knobs or other small whatnots. Whatever you do, don't cheap out on brushes because they'll fall apart and you will end up with brush strands embedded in your paint. I would also recommend picking up two sets; I have a few brushes that are really crappy because I use them to mash paint into areas I am unable to paint normally, and that screws up the bristles real quick. I wouldn't expect to have any spots like that on the interior, but you might as well be prepared.

Also, both the Tamiya paint I recommended and the Citadel paint I use are water washup, so you won't need to worry about getting the right thinner.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:18 PM   #5

Okay thank you! Sorry I didn't see you linked the brushes in your first comment. I apologize. Thank you so much for your help that helped a lot! If you are doing a build thread please link it. I would love to see it!
Old 12-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

No problem! I guess I haven't started a build thread yet (thought I did), but I'll definitely try and get some process pictures on painting the interior and post them up.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:15 AM   #7

Painting details requires the following things:

1. Patience
2. Steady hands
3. The correct brushes

I don't have #1 or #2. Those are critical. And just like anything, the more you paint the better you'll become.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:43 AM   #8

Sorry I have another question real quick. How would I go about painting over chrome parts? The grille/headlights on this body come chrome and I would like to paint them black. How would I get it to stick?
Old 12-01-2016, 11:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypergarage View Post
Sorry I have another question real quick. How would I go about painting over chrome parts? The grille/headlights on this body come chrome and I would like to paint them black. How would I get it to stick?
You're going to have to sand it or remove it somehow. I'm not sure if there are easy ways to get it off without damaging the plastic.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:29 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Like Jato said, you're going to have to sand off the chrome. I would try a light grit (600 and up) to try and minimize actually sanding down the plastic. After you sand it, wipe it down with rubbing alcohol to get any dust and oils off it and then use a really good primer, like the Tamiya I posted earlier.

I was actually planning to use the upgrade billet grill parts, so I'll run out to my garage and test how easily the chrome will come off on a piece.

Last edited by micro racer; 12-01-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:24 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I believe yellow can ezoff oven cleaner will take the chrome off without hurting the plastic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
stevem50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:49 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Brake fluid, simple green, oven cleaner, some people even use bleach on styrene plastic parts that are chrome. Some of these products will eventually eat the plastic so check the part every now and then by scrubbing the part with an old toothbrush. Just be aware of what you're using and wear the proper gear i.e. gloves, respirator, goggles, overalls etc..

Look into paint washes, dry brushing and weathering to produce realistic effects. And don't use negative criticism if something doesn't turn out(very hard to do for most of us). Most parts can be stripped with the methods mentioned above and you can try again.
LokisTyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:21 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Yea use bleach, let the stuff soak and bam it's gone 10-15 mins
aztitan is offline   Reply With Quote

RC4WD D90 Detail Painting Help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW! SEXY DETAIL PARTS for the RC4WD V8 Engine + GIVEAWAY!! toyranosaur Scale parts 39 09-02-2018 10:24 PM
painting rc4wd rubber mirrors stanmondz Paint and Body 4 12-13-2013 03:33 PM