Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Hpi on terminal backorder..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2016, 05:39 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Hpi on terminal backorder..

Is there any credible due date for Hpi products to come back? I have been on backorder for a few bodies since June, and the venture was slated for release in December but it's been a silent topic for months

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
stevem50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Hpi on terminal backorder..

Isn't HPI out of business? I thought they were bought by traxxas.
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:57 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

No, they made a bid at it, but they were bought by some startup company that I can't remember.. but were still supposedly still going to make stuff under the Hpi banner. Tower still shows all the stuff on order, but no status change in a while

Old 12-08-2016, 08:55 PM   #4
RCC Addict

They were bought by RipMax, a British vendor that made a lot of money selling HPI products back in the day.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
Isn't HPI out of business? I thought they were bought by traxxas.
That was a stupid rumor started by Harley.

The Venture FJ Cruiser is scheduled for release in December 2017!!! HPI didn't get it. That's why they tanked. And at this rate they're proving they still don't get it.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:25 PM   #6
RCC Addict

HPI waited too long to release a scale crawler in the first place. Now the market is saturated and any new entry is going to be an also-ran no matter how high-quality it is.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:25 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I still want a Cup Racer.... of course with them now long out of production, they have gotten quite pricey. Never was a fan of their off-road stuff, though.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:12 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I still want a Cup Racer.... of course with them now long out of production, they have gotten quite pricey. Never was a fan of their off-road stuff, though.

The steering on them kinda sucked.. there is a comparable 4wd mclass raceable car on hobbyking for less than $80 called mrage I think, I'll find it..

Old 12-09-2016, 06:15 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Old 12-09-2016, 06:17 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

But, back to the original question.. when are the bodies going to be available?

Old 12-09-2016, 08:48 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The Venture FJ Cruiser is scheduled for release in December 2017!!! HPI didn't get it. That's why they tanked. And at this rate they're proving they still don't get it.
Where'd you get that info from? I've been going back and forth with HPI on the subject for months now and they've never indicated that date. Some websites have arbitrarily assigned a date to it, but as far as I know there hasn't been anything official from HPI..

All they've said is that they're working on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
HPI waited too long to release a scale crawler in the first place. Now the market is saturated and any new entry is going to be an also-ran no matter how high-quality it is.
Agreed, this restructuring has cost them a huge chunk of the market share. When the new owners took over they should have realized the 10.2 was coming and made a point of getting the Venture to market first. I would've bought one, but now that I have my 10.2 I may or may not get a Venture when it's finally released...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem50 View Post
But, back to the original question.. when are the bodies going to be available?

HPI is still working out supply chain issues and they're being very tight lipped about any release dates for anything. As far as I know, there is nothing official from them on the subject.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:54 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

The venture Facebook page from Hpi says December for the venture and the major retailers said November for the bodies.. these are quickly coming and going

Old 12-09-2016, 09:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
Where'd you get that info from? I've been going back and forth with HPI on the subject for months now and they've never indicated that date. Some websites have arbitrarily assigned a date to it, but as far as I know there hasn't been anything official from HPI..

All they've said is that they're working on it...
AMain has it on their site and it says "Available To Order: Dec 30, 2017." So in that case it probably won't be here until 2018.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:24 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
AMain has it on their site and it says "Available To Order: Dec 30, 2017." So in that case it probably won't be here until 2018.
Gotcha, I think that's a date that AMain has fabricated on their own. Last info I had from HPI was that thought they might have it out by late winter 2016/17, which really means spring 2017 as a big ole maybe...

But really, it's all guess-work since HPI doesn't even seem to know themselves...
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:51 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I think the rationale behind holding back the Venture was the new owners of HPI saying that they wanted to get their manufacturing & supply chain under control so that parts would always be in stock.
txbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:45 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Kinda pointless to hold back to the point of losing your customer base..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2016, 01:06 AM   #17
RCC Addict

It's a Catch-22 for them; if they release products before they're ready just to beat other companies to market, they will get tons of bad reviews and their market share will drop; if they wait until their products are well-tested and there are lots of spare parts available, people will buy vehicles from other manufacturers in the meantime and their market share will drop.

HPI does nitro really well, and they should focus on that to rebuild their business. A new 4WD nitro stadium truck would be nice; there's zero competition in that niche anymore. Also bolt-on electric-conversion kits for older nitro vehicles, for people who don't want to run nitro anymore, would be a good idea.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:15 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Default Hpi on terminal backorder..

Whoever negotiated this deal seriously dropped the ball, simply maintaining a supply of goods is business 101. It's a load of garbage that the new owners didn't have a plan in place to keep the flow of product in place. You don't just buy a company name and then try to reinvent the wheel, you build in a transition strategy into your deal so the existing customer isn't left out in the cold.. I'm under the impression that Hpi is done at this time. This strikes me as the same thing that happened with Indian motorcycle 15 years ago, with the fact that a few times investors bought the name, and name only with no real plan in place and the only thing that was accomplished was a lot of money spent and time wasted.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:02 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Whoever negotiated this deal seriously dropped the ball....
Donald J Trump would have made a better deal
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:47 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Whoever negotiated this deal seriously dropped the ball, simply maintaining a supply of goods is business 101. It's a load of garbage that the new owners didn't have a plan in place to keep the flow of product in place. You don't just buy a company name and then try to reinvent the wheel, you build in a transition strategy into your deal so the existing customer isn't left out in the cold.. I'm under the impression that Hpi is done at this time. This strikes me as the same thing that happened with Indian motorcycle 15 years ago, with the fact that a few times investors bought the name, and name only with no real plan in place and the only thing that was accomplished was a lot of money spent and time wasted.

It's not all RipMax's fault. A lot of HPI parts were manufactured in China by a company called Soar, and HPI owed Soar a lot of money. When RipMax bought HPI they also bought the responsibility to pay back Soar, and Soar was not interested in getting paid in small increments, because that's what HPI had promised (and failed) to do in the past. So Soar basically took the HPI molds they own and told HPI to piss off.

Hpi on terminal backorder.. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Connecting BEC to ESC terminal With Caps robertjpjr Electronics 6 04-15-2015 08:59 AM
Axial backorder? gooba General Crawlers 17 02-14-2012 08:58 PM
Suspension and A Motor Terminal Question FlatwaterMG Duratrax Cliff Climber 2 01-12-2009 11:49 AM
Integy V10 Motors terminal aljeann Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 07-14-2008 01:50 AM
TXT on Backorder redrover Chit Chat 8 04-11-2006 06:22 AM