Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: More options than Tamiya spray paints?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2017, 09:29 PM   #1

Default More options than Tamiya spray paints?

I'm totally new to this. And I don't exactly have the money to spend on an airbrush at the moment. I was looking through the Tamiya spray paints and I'm not really into many of the color options, but I haven't been able to find much more, and everyone seems to highly recommend Tamiya paints. Are there any other paint options with a wider range of colors that are decent quality? Also, has anyone painted with the Tamiya PS15 Metallic red? Pictures would be great.
Smileythetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2017, 09:43 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: More options than Tamiya spray paints?

There's a few brands of paint out there.. pactra spazstix and duratrax spring up. What colors are you looking for if you don't see it in tamiya? What are you painting?
The big reason I used tamiya rattle cans is that they have the best fine mist spray pattern

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevem50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:51 PM   #3

Painting a proline jeep rubicon wraith body and I'd like to paint the cage also. I'd like to find a burnt orange color and/or a deeper red. None of the Tamiya spray paints one seen seem to pop out like "that's the one" lol.
Smileythetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:08 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Look at spazstix..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevem50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:14 AM   #5

Duratrax and Tamiya paints are all I use. You can also check out Testors.

I hate Spazstix paints and I've had no luck getting them to stick to lexan no matter how much I prep the bodies. I've used at least 3 different Spazstix paint colors with the same results. And I prep those bodies the same way I prep my bodies before using Duratrax and Tamiya paints. I've never had adhesion issues with anything except Spazstix. I know I'm not alone.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:11 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I have used spaz a lot and the only problem I had was one chrome can started spitting droplets at the very end of the can so they are definitely not as quality as Tamiya but I have always had good results.

One thing you can do is MIX or layer some people come up with interesting colors by layering a transparent Tamiya under a solid color or colors.

Habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Once upon a time, I mixed two different spray Lexan paints and some metal flake in a Preval Sprayer to make a color that was close to my 1:1 cars paint. It came out a great match which was amazing give the non-scientific method I used to match it. I sprayed small amounts of the two paints into a test jar until I was close and then I estimated the ratios to spray into the Preval jar to get the right mix and then spray the body. It was a cheap yet effective way to get a custom color. I still have this body and all the paint is still on it.

Now, 10+ years later I plan on duplicating this feat to get some colors that are not available.

Debonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:38 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I have done smoke or window tint tamiya, then a base color. Gives amazing depth and gives a bit of darker tint, then back ith silver to liven it up again, then finish with a final coat of black.

Oh and i did tamiya sparkle flake, then purple for my wifes s15 silvia. One of my favorite shells to date! Sorry no pics :(
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:23 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
I have done smoke or window tint tamiya, then a base color. Gives amazing depth and gives a bit of darker tint, then back ith silver to liven it up again, then finish with a final coat of black.

Oh and i did tamiya sparkle flake, then purple for my wifes s15 silvia. One of my favorite shells to date! Sorry no pics :(
I saw someone doing a lambo shell with a similar 6 pack or so of paint lol but it was totally worth it gorgeous. was that you?
Habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:42 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I have to admit I'm a little surprised a long-time expert like Jato (whom I respect) hates Spazstix. I've used Tamiya, Duratrax and Spazstix rattlecans since I got back into this and had the best results with consistency, spray and final outcome from Spazstix. I don't prep my bodies beyond washing, but have had no adhesion problems except with Tamiya.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote

More options than Tamiya spray paints? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
primer and tamiya paints akguanja Paint and Body 3 06-26-2011 12:16 PM
tamiya as paints? brianw Paint and Body 2 05-07-2011 09:53 PM
Tamiya PS spray on hard bodies?? raolguio Paint and Body 2 10-29-2010 10:43 AM
Tamiya spray can mix with Pactra spray rock runt Paint and Body 10 11-05-2008 09:47 AM
Tamiya paint spray Garrett Paint and Body 10 02-11-2007 08:46 PM