Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Ran out of paint. Grrrr...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2017, 08:40 PM   #1

Default Ran out of paint. Grrrr...

So I decided to paint the cage on my wraith. I scuffed/washed it and bought all the Testors one shot laquer and clear my local hobby shop had in stock. Halfway through painting I ran out. Now the only other hobby shops nearby are sold out also. I guess my only option is to order some off the internet and wait for them to ship. My concern is that after he paint that's already on the cage cures (while waiting on more paint) the next layers won't bond well (as well as clear coat). Could anyone shed some light on this? I'm completely new to painting this type of stuff. Only ever painted cars.
Smileythetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2017, 12:43 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Ran out of paint. Grrrr...

I've never worked with this specific kind of paint before, however I've worked with several in the past. Most of them state on the can to respray a coat within a few hours, or after couple weeks to allow for the best bonding. Maybe someone else can chime in but there should be a couple time windows that you'll have the best results out of.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileythetrucker View Post
So I decided to paint the cage on my wraith. I scuffed/washed it and bought all the Testors one shot laquer and clear my local hobby shop had in stock. Halfway through painting I ran out. Now the only other hobby shops nearby are sold out also. I guess my only option is to order some off the internet and wait for them to ship. My concern is that after he paint that's already on the cage cures (while waiting on more paint) the next layers won't bond well (as well as clear coat). Could anyone shed some light on this? I'm completely new to painting this type of stuff. Only ever painted cars.
Testor's is a pretty forgiving paint product, just finish painting when your supply comes in.

How many cans did you use? The worst that might happen is you re-scuff and reshoot everything, no problem or lesson learned.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:58 PM   #4

I used 2 cans. After I ran out, and really thought about it...I should have known I'd waste too much paint spraying a cage to get it all with 10oz of paint. I ordered 4 cans so surely that will be enough next go round! I appreciate the response guys!
Old 01-22-2017, 07:50 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I have no experience in painting my Wraith cage,but if I decide to I will more than likely use Krylon fusion. You may have already ordered the paint that you needed,but Krylon paint will go a lot farther than hobby spray paint.
WranglerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:01 PM   #6

If I decide to start again, my buddy has a bead blaster he uses to blast plastics and such. Would this "scuff" it enough for the paint to stick? Seems like it would be a lot easier to get in all the crevices and between the bars.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:10 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I don't really know, your buddy may have more experience and knowledge, but I would say a light scuff with a green pad would be enough to get the paint to stick, and to be honest 2 cans should have been enough. Light coats, lay it down too heavy, and you get runs and the paint becomes too thick, you'll end up with fingerprints because it's not drying thoroughly.

When I was younger and learning the painting process, I built a B-52 model, laid down the paint too thick, and 4 days later when I picked t up, thinking it was dry, I left fingerprints all over it. Had to scrape and sand it all down and start over.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote

Ran out of paint. Grrrr... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grrrr!! Broken vanquish axle mbztech88 Axial Yeti 19 02-26-2016 04:41 AM
grrrr... Friggin 2 speed SMFtwstdHICK Vaterra Ascender 15 01-29-2016 04:43 PM
wraith axle bind? grrrr driftah Axial Wraith 2 08-03-2014 06:19 AM
first time fleabay trouble...grrrr crazy nick Chit Chat 12 05-02-2014 07:06 AM
Grrrr stupid neeb ?'s bboybean Newbie General 5 11-11-2009 07:02 PM