Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: DIY Flare Idea

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2017, 11:57 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default DIY Flare Idea

This may have been done before but I thought I'd post it up in the event that is has not. I'm building a replica of my 1:1 Ram and haven't been able to find flares which would match the look of my truck.

I thought about trying to shape and bend delrin rod or gluing styrene sheets toger and sanding but neither sounded like something I had a big degree of confidence in. I went hunting in my garage to see what I could find and came up with a handful of adhesive backed foam pads desiged for orbital type hand sanders, like these: https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Square...am+sanding+pad They're almost like a low grade neoprene, kind of hard to describe.

I grabbed one, traced the outline of the fender opening and cut out a test piece.

I stuck it to the body and went to work on it with a dremel sanding drum. It sands very easily so when I try to make the actual flares I'll have to take it slow on the shaping but I think it'll yield a decent finished product. I don't intend a lot of hard core crawling with this rig but as long as the adhesive holds I think they'll take some abuse considering they're foam.

Time will tell if these are a viable option but I figured I'd share the idea for others who may be trying to do the same thing.

Last edited by Phylodog; 01-31-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Phylodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2017, 12:11 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: DIY Flare Idea

Good idea. I used automotive vacuum hose split down the middle on my powerwagon. Held on with E6000. worked like a charm.
oklamopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:52 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: DIY Flare Idea

You can also use windshield wiper rubber. The lexan fits nicely into the groove, and glue on with E6000 or Shoo Goo.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote

DIY Flare Idea - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fender flare idea cyberhog05 2.2 Scale Rigs 7 03-19-2016 03:12 PM
DIY Hexes idea goslo General Crawlers 10 07-16-2008 04:11 PM