Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Wake up body manufacturers!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2017, 04:31 PM   #41

Default Re: Wake up body manufacturers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohanne View Post
That is only true if you want to go for a body from one of the big names. As a part time designer myself, I'd give my design up for free. I see it as free advertising, actually. I have designed a car which I call "The Schwabbernickel". It does not exist in full size.. yet.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
You keep complaining about scale and then you want to make a non licensed body? WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelTGM View Post
Yeah seriously it'd be super easy for them to design some interesting bodies and then they're printing money. Not much but it barely costs anything to produce and the customer has to paint it! If you look at YouTube there are even people doing it themselves with a homemade vacuum setup. Too easy.
That post is sarcasm, right?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2017, 05:21 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

a vacuum formed body is NOT a hard body.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:09 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
That is only true if you want to go for a body from one of the big names. As a part time designer myself, I'd give my design up for free. I see it as free advertising, actually. I have designed a car which I call "The Schwabbernickel". It does not exist in full size.. yet.

even then, design is the cheap part. hardbodies are injection molded and require an engineered mold to produce the bodies accurately with no defect. the mold alone can cost tens of thousands of dollars that has to be made back in profit from sales. that's why so many hard bodies are expensive.

even lexan bodies are produced on an engineered buck to produce the amount of detail that they do without degrading the buck over time. you can't just carve a piece of wood or plaster and vacuum form over it. it will have defects or even stick to the mold.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:27 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
Im sorry but you are mistaken on that. You can vacuum form ABS, Steel, Aluminum and several other materials from which you could make a hard body. It isnt common in private hobbies but none the less can be done.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:28 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Im sorry but you are mistaken on that. You can vacuum form ABS, Steel, Aluminum and several other materials from which you could make a hard body. It isnt common in private hobbies but none the less can be done.
A abs/styrene vacuum formed body in not a hard body I'm it doesn't have the detail or as rigid as a normal hard body.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:03 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
You can easily vacuum form an exiting body. Good luck vacuum forming a new style body "easily" like these guys are claiming.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:09 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

You vacuum form an existingolded body it still won't look as nice as the original.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2017, 08:48 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
You keep complaining about scale and then you want to make a non licensed body? WTF?
No, I'm not too obsessed with scale. *I* just want more options to choose from.
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:56 AM   #49
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
even lexan bodies are produced on an engineered buck to produce the amount of detail that they do without degrading the buck over time. you can't just carve a piece of wood or plaster and vacuum form over it. it will have defects or even stick to the mold.
If making lexan and plastic bodies is so incredibly difficult, next to impossible, (in a country which can send robots to Mars) then I suggest that Axial and other companies offer more variants of plastic tube options, like the one that the wraith has. They could make tube chassis as an option for scx10 etc. Like the one from HPM.. Just of assembled plastic rods instead of metal.

tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If making lexan and plastic bodies is so incredibly difficult, next to impossible, (in a country which can send robots to Mars) then I suggest that Axial and other companies offer more variants of plastic tube options, like the one that the wraith has. They could make tube chassis as an option for scx10 etc. Like the one from HPM.. Just of assembled plastic rods instead of metal.

Huh ??
It's not difficult or impossible as you seem to infer.

But to mass produce a quality product , and make a profit you need to start with an expensive mold or buck.... tool and die is a lost art, if it was so simple we wouldn't need 3D printers

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:18 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Stop being dramatic, it's not "next to impossible" , it's just time consuming and expensive to set up for a commercial application.

As for the plastic tube​ option you mentioned​, those are injection molded, and equally as expensive to produce. Proline used to make a tuber for the ax10, but it was more expensive than regular bodies s it didn't sell well and they stopped making it.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:25 AM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
You make some valid points, but really I don't think you have a clue about trucks. Stock tires on a 66 f-100 is 235/75/15, That is a tire height of 30" or a 3 inch tire.

There is no way that you got tire rub with the correct size for scale tires of 3".
What did you try and put in? a 4.45" tire. Of coarse its going to rub like crazy you just tried to jam 45" of tire into a stock truck wheel well.

If you knew about trucks you would understand that you have to cut the wheel wells to accommodate that tire size. It stands to reason that if you take a scale truck body it is going to be modeled after the actual wheel well sizes.
Usually I am using 2.2s on all my trailing/crawler trucks. Got a hard body Range Rover for real cheap and have been playing around trying to do something a "little bit scale" (first time attempt). Got axles that almost tuck the tires completely inside the body but tire diameter needs to be 3" or even a little smaller. After hours of searching, the only thing I can find that size is the RC4WD 1.55 Dirt Grabbers (anyone know of another brand this small?). Maybe should consider looking at 1:18 scale stuff for the size I need? Not a huge fan of RC4WD tires and wheels but think I'm pretty much stuck with them. I'm guessing not a huge demand for 3" OD tires. Doing my searching I had my eyes opened to the huge variance in tire sizes. Example, 1.55 at 3" to over 4" diameter, 1.9 slightly smaller than 4" all the way to 5"+. Now I realize in the real world this is also true, same wheel size but large variance in OD.

Sorry, maybe should have posted in "Tires and Wheels" but bodies and tire sizes seem to go hand in hand.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #53

When is a company gonna wake up and give us a Wagoneer body is the real question...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Grandbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 View Post
Usually I am using 2.2s on all my trailing/crawler trucks. Got a hard body Range Rover for real cheap and have been playing around trying to do something a "little bit scale" (first time attempt). Got axles that almost tuck the tires completely inside the body but tire diameter needs to be 3" or even a little smaller. After hours of searching, the only thing I can find that size is the RC4WD 1.55 Dirt Grabbers (anyone know of another brand this small?). Maybe should consider looking at 1:18 scale stuff for the size I need? Not a huge fan of RC4WD tires and wheels but think I'm pretty much stuck with them. I'm guessing not a huge demand for 3" OD tires. Doing my searching I had my eyes opened to the huge variance in tire sizes. Example, 1.55 at 3" to over 4" diameter, 1.9 slightly smaller than 4" all the way to 5"+. Now I realize in the real world this is also true, same wheel size but large variance in OD.

Sorry, maybe should have posted in "Tires and Wheels" but bodies and tire sizes seem to go hand in hand.
Axial makes a BFG krawler in 1.55, was gonna buy a set and use them to build a tamyia yj with the 33" tire look

Grandbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:07 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Anyone can build a 1:1 on 31-33" tires. I've always see rc as a way to have the hardcore offroad rig of your dreams but couldn't afford to build in 1:1.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:09 AM   #56
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

It's all simple economics.
A quality hard body molding tool is complex and therefore very expensive. In the grand scale of things, we are a niche market, and aftermarket scale crawler bodies are a niche market within a niche market. This means not very profitable to produce a wide range of bodies. Toy grade rc's sell by the millions = don't worry about the tooling cost.

I design injection molded parts as part of my job. Hard bodies are probably one of the more complex moldings you are likely to see. The Raffee Defender body for example is an incredible set of moldings. There are so many tool movements and re-entrant features, lots of ribs to cause sink marks, lots of interlocking parts. Just the tooling must have cost $300,000 and probably a lot more. Then theres the design costs - must have been quite a task. Then the test and development of the tools - they don't just work first time. Then theres the manufacturing. Distribution. Advertising. Distribution. Retail costs. $150? I honestly don't know how they make it pay.

Last edited by Dbx; 05-06-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandbuggy View Post
Axial makes a BFG krawler in 1.55, was gonna buy a set and use them to build a tamyia yj with the 33" tire look

Yup, thanks. At the time I was doing all my searching the only info I could find was on the Axial site, 1:18 Yeti. Listed as 2.68" OD, maybe work or maybe just a touch too small. I'll re-look at these as these didn't seem to be available from anywhere previously.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:36 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
You keep complaining about scale and then you want to make a non licensed body?
If he designs a 1:1 vehicle and makes a scale model of it. It's still a scale model, regardless of any licensing or not.

Scale does not mean that it have to be a licensed thing from a big manufacturer. It's just have to be a smaller model of something where all the measurements are scaled down.
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:11 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

I remember ages ago getting tired of Lexan bodies breaking , used as trimmed front half of a KTM Junior Motocross fender and made a buggy body out of it for a RC10T2.

It was orange - I added a 1/8th scale molded plastic bright green wing and called it the Atomic Carrot.

Completely indestructible, although I did break the occasional body post.

Looked like an unreleased Tamiya prototype.

Scale model of non-existent vehicle....
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:26 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Lets see you have....
I know of many of these bodies you mentioned and some of them are exactly what I ment in my initial post. I named proline as one of the worst manufacturers regarding this in correlation with body width and axle width. But they are not the only ones.

I relisted them here, and here are my thoughts about some of these bodies

(D90/D110 plus d90/d119 pick up)
-The team RaffeeCo versions is on the better side proportion wise. But from what I see you need positive offset on rc4wd axles to tuck the tires. Scx10 width is to wide.
-rc4wd defenders is a bit to small, close but looks better on MST MSA axles.

(Chinese Jeep you mentioned)
-Do not fit scx10 width if you are going for factory look, need narrow Ascender or Yota. Fits scx10 width if you chop fenders and go for mod look.
-is not a made for hobby rc. Is a toy grade rc, but still miles ahead of hobby grade manufacturers, why can they do it so much better?

(Chinese Jeep Cherokee)
-fits almost yota and narrow Ascender, maybe it can be better with positive offset wheel, but that limits you wheel option.
-Not sure where these originates from, but also not a major manufacturer, why they do it better then the big ones?

(Killer body Toyota land cruiser pick up)
-This is one of the worst cases. Fabulous body, but way to narrow. Does not fit good on yota or narrow Ascender, need MST MSA axles with positive offset.

(A late 80's bronco)
-Not sure witch one this is. But again probably not from the big ones.

(Toyota 4 runner)
-If it is the kyosho 1:9 lexan body you mean, it was a real beauty and proper size, but it's discounted and hard to come by.

(LC80 land cruiser)
-This one is a decent size and well proportioned. Take notes you big guys, this is how it's done, if this had a interior also it would be even bigger gem.

(there 4 different unimogs floating around)
GThese also is on the narrow side, some more than others.

(a couple 6x6 bodies.)
GNot sure witch you mean, but the ones I know there are some very narrow and some that fits ok. But my point is that the ones that fits the most common axles (scx10, Ascender, yotas) is not made by the major manufacturers. And the ones that is, is most likely to narrow.

(Various bodies taken from toy grade RC's)
This is exactly my point. Why do we have to go to toy grade to get good options. Toy grade is cheap models. Sometimes the whole model is the same price or cheaper than a hobby grade body. And the toy bodies it way more detailed. And it seems so idiotic and waist full that we buy these toy grade rc's, when we just throw away all but the body.
Why is it so hard for hobby grade body manufacturers to make something similar to the Chinese jeep og new bright bodies? And why does not New bright just sell the bodies separately? Do t they see of know there is a market for them?

Last edited by AngelowDoom; 05-06-2017 at 04:42 PM.
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Wake up body manufacturers! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wake me up please Kratos Nebraska 5 04-30-2011 06:08 AM
so i wake up.. ROLANDROCKSHOP Chit Chat 4 08-05-2010 05:53 PM
List of manufacturers mmbackpacker Paint and Body 7 07-29-2008 09:50 AM