Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Painting Wraith Chassis?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2017, 07:03 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Painting Wraith Chassis?

Painting a Wraith Chassis - good or bad idea?

I ordered some BGR Fab goodies as I re-work the Wraith over the Winter. I've got a brand new chassis that I was thinking of painting up in silver to match the BGR stuff.

My concern is how it will hold up. I know it will get scuffs and scrapes, which is fine, and kinda realistic. Just wondering if it will be cracking and flaking off in chunks do to flexing? I was going to use that Krylon Fusion or similar which supposedly chemically bond to the plastic as they dry.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Painting Wraith Chassis?

I asked this same question about my bomber many moons ago and the general consensus was although it can be done, it's not recommended because it doesn't hold up well and ends up looking awful. I didn't try it after getting said advice so can't say whether it was accurate or not, but it was across the board said "no go"
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:32 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I scuffed, then used adhesion promoter, then Krylon fusion. Seemed to hold up very well, though you are going to have scratches and scrapes. Can't be helped. No cracking or flaking in any way though.

A silver paint pen makes quick work of any touchups.

How it looks is always a subjective question. I like mine - well worth the effort.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:33 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I scuffed, then used adhesion promoter, then Krylon fusion. Seemed to hold up very well, though you are going to have scratches and scrapes. Can't be helped. No cracking or flaking in any way though.

How it looks is always a subjective question. I like mine - well worth the effort.
What is "adhesion promoter"? Have not heard of that. I think I'm going to give painting it a go. Not too worried about scuffs and scrapes. Like you said, can always use a touch up paint marker.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:49 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Ok. I googled adhesion promoter. Looks like Duplicolor makes this. I'm guessing I can grab it at my local Auto Parts store. Thanks for the info guys!
Old 12-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I used Bulldog, picked it up at the auto parts store. Same stuff I reckon! Post a pic of the completed chassis if you can. Curious to see what it looks like all together in silver.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:28 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post

Only thing I can add is before any of the above, scrub the plastic with a good soap, then scuff, the good soap again, and on to the adhesion promoter. Haven' t done it myself as I got scared away like DukeMinnix with all the negative feedback when I asked this question. And, I've seen the results if you don't do any of the above and its not pretty. Maybe some time in the future it will be time for me to test this out.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:11 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

So I "fast backed" the chassis last night and got all of the tubes scuffed/sanded. I'm going to soak it in Simple Green today in the laundry room slop sink. I think that should de-grease everything pretty well and get any contaminants off. After that, i'm going to scuff/sand again but this time using a scotch brite pad. I experimented with this last night and the scotch brite pads scuff everything real well, but without leaving score marks/sanding lines in the tubes. Kinda like stepping down to a much finer grit. Once that's done, I'm going to spray it all down with rubbing alcohol and wipe it thoroughly clean. I did get some adhesion promoter from the auto parts store, so that'll be next. I'm now debating if I want to do full silver, or do a gloss black on the cage/chassis so the BGR goodies "pop"? Either way, I'll post pics and let y'all know how it turned out, how it holds up.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Ugggghhhhh - way too cold to paint here right now. Gotta wait for a warmer day and then I'll shoot it and post up some pics. Still doing some rebuilding and new parts anyway.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:56 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Looks like i'm probably going to have to wait until Spring when we get some warmer temps if I decide to do this. I got the chassis completely scuffed, cleaned, de-greased and ready for paint, but the temps have been way too cold. (I decided if i'm going to paint a chassis it will be the old one - gonna keep the new one I've got clean and original) I've had the heater going in the garage, and I can get it up to suitable temps without the garage door cracked, but I really don't want to do all that spraying with no ventilation. The new Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro 3500KV and BLE got the best of me too and I decided to throw everything back together to try it out. If nothing else, the chassis is as clean as it's been since new! LMAO!
Old 02-03-2018, 11:17 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Mike, I used to paint Real Cars.... and I believe that "adhesion promoter" that was recommended/bought was what we used to call "flex additive". It's what keeps the Paint on the "Bumpers" of most modern Cars.
It will etch itself right into the Cage Rails, and form a secure base for Paint!!

Funny..... I was JUST looking for ideas in this section on hacking up my Spawn Body, and was also looking for Threads about Painting the Cage!!! I'm thinking Bright Red. Most of my Chassis accessories are Bright Red,
Can't wait to see how YOURS turns out!!!
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Painting Wraith Chassis? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Painting wraith chassis WraithKrawlr Axial Wraith 8 10-17-2016 09:15 AM
My Wraith just finished painting.!! Hi-Intentionz Texas 0 05-05-2012 03:35 PM
Painting the outside of a Wraith body. sixOHfour Paint and Body 6 01-13-2012 12:26 PM