Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: A few questions about prepping and painting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2018, 12:12 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default A few questions about prepping and painting.

So I've painted body's before, mostly just one color , I've did 2 tones but they came out whatever, at least they were painted. LOL. So i have a few questions, like, 1. what's the better of the tapes to use,is there like thinner tape to make lines with, 2. I can write on the body(clear mask) to mock up my lines correct, 3. Dark colors first then the brighter colors last, and what DOES or WOULD silver do for the backing of the colors that you've used, or does silver not always work? I just want this body (46 PL dodge) to come out right AND clean lookin . thanks guy's !! (Hope I explained myself correctly)
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2018, 01:00 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: A few questions about prepping and painting.

what colors and what paint are you using?

for any type of reds i use copper. for brighter shades i want to get, ill use silver. if i want a darker shade, ill use a charcoal grey or black depending on how dark i want the color to come out.

its like using different shades of sealer primer in the real world but using a bas color instead.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:28 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
what colors and what paint are you using?

for any type of reds i use copper. for brighter shades i want to get, ill use silver. if i want a darker shade, ill use a charcoal grey or black depending on how dark i want the color to come out.

its like using different shades of sealer primer in the real world but using a bas color instead.
Tamiya paint , still up in the air with the colors , been looking at which colors to use, I know the fenders/running board are gonna be black , just don't know what color to paint the bed and cab.

Last edited by Frank211; 02-05-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:41 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Tamiya makes masking tape in different widths, may be a good investment.
For the rest, I've only painted my bodies with plastidip so dunno.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:02 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Tamiya Masking Tape is my go-to, as it seals with a good, sharp line, and removes easily!
For all the large areas or if I'm doing a straight Two-Tone, then 1-3" Blue or Green Painter's Tape works great, and is also easy to deal with.

The color of backing Paint, does make a difference. For bright, more translucent Paints, like Yellow, Pink, Lighter Reds, or White - use a White Backing Coat. It will maintain the brightness of those colors, and keep them from looking dingy.
Some people even follow the White with a coat of Silver, to kill the "lampshade" effect!

For medium tones, like Orange, Brown, Sand, Tan, Teil, Fuscha, Lighter Purples and Blues, darker Reds and Greens - use Silver. It will brighten those colors without changing the hue.

For most of your other Dark colors, I recommend Black as a backer.....
BTW, Black and Silver as a main color, DON'T generally need a backing coat. Those colors have such a thick pigment, that light doesn't shine through the Body.

And yes, you should always start with the DARKEST color first (NOT including the Backing Coat!!)
Hope this helps.
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:05 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I did light sanding with no primer.
Used Tamiya vinyl tape for the small lines, Tamiya masking tape for the wide line and 3M blue tape for the rest.

5 coats of red, 1 coat of silver
Remove the tape
3 coats of white, 1 coat of silver
1 coat of black
1 coat of matte clear

Came out pretty bright but not in a bad way.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:19 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank211 View Post
Tamiya paint , still up in the air with the colors , been looking at which colors to use, I know the fenders/running board are gonna be black , just don't know what color to paint the bed and can .
For choosing a backing color just shoot a scrap strip of lexan with the color you're using. tape it off in sections and back with black, white, silver, copper... etc. then you can see how the different backers affect the outcome of the original color.
OldNTired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Yes .... Now to think of the colors !

(Hope they pop up) lol
If not https://photos.app.goo.gl/nortr0dgl1YUPJI12 good ol Google photos
Old 02-05-2018, 04:58 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Frank, that's going to be such a SAHWEET Rig with that Body!!
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

black fenders. and a candy apple red.

my candy red:

2 coats of Tamiya ps53 "lame flake"
3 light coats of ps37 translucent red
3-4 med coats of ps15 met red
2 good coats of ps14
then back with black.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:20 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Make sure you press down the edges of the tape thoroughly to prevent bleeding.

Take a plastic cotton swab fold it in half and run it along the edges of the tape.
Fast, no chance of tearing and no greasy fingers.
4wd4ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:07 PM   #12
Fan of wheelspeed

Tamiya masking tape all the way! I've tried automotive, blue, green, etc. Tamiya is the best in my opinion.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:45 PM   #13
RCC Addict

If I remember correctly, I read it in rc car action, about warming up the can of paint , is there some truth to it ?
Old 02-08-2018, 05:01 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I'm not an expert but i did all my painting while it was -30 celcius outside and i could barely get the garage to 18 celcius.
My paint cans were around 18-20 celcius and it came out great.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:27 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Another good “trick” to help prevent bleed at your tape lines is to do several, very light dusting coats at the edges. The super light coats dry quickly and help seal the edges without the dreaded bleed through.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank211 View Post
If I remember correctly, I read it in rc car action, about warming up the can of paint , is there some truth to it ?
Yeah, warm water works very well.
It will increase the pressure inside the spray can and the paint will come out more even and smoother. Denser.
You will also empty a can much faster.
4wd4ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:03 AM   #17

I'll be following this thread because I too picked up the '46 Dodge Power Wagon body. Struggled a bit with color choice because I wanted to go original. After some research, I'm not really sure what that is, but since I don't favor green or red, will probably go with a deep blue. Of course the fenders and running boards have to be black. Appreciate all the painting tips because my experience and skills are low on this subject.

Maybe at some point we'll get to chassis and body mounting. I was originally going to repurpose my Axial SCX 10.2 because it's the correct wheelbase and that's what I have. But I'm going in different directions with those vehicles - the Jeep becoming an off-roader and the Power Wagon being a scale model. So thinking more along the lines of a Trail Finder chassis, mostly because of the leaf spring suspension, though the wheelbase may need some fixin'.

For body mounting, I couldn't bare to poke holes in the classic Dodge body, so looking towards magnets, especially given my general aversion to Velcro.

Good luck with your painting and please update us with your progress.
Rock Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:41 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Dodger View Post
I'll be following this thread because I too picked up the '46 Dodge Power Wagon body. Struggled a bit with color choice because I wanted to go original. After some research, I'm not really sure what that is, but since I don't favor green or red, will probably go with a deep blue. Of course the fenders and running boards have to be black. Appreciate all the painting tips because my experience and skills are low on this subject.

Maybe at some point we'll get to chassis and body mounting. I was originally going to repurpose my Axial SCX 10.2 because it's the correct wheelbase and that's what I have. But I'm going in different directions with those vehicles - the Jeep becoming an off-roader and the Power Wagon being a scale model. So thinking more along the lines of a Trail Finder chassis, mostly because of the leaf spring suspension, though the wheelbase may need some fixin'.

For body mounting, I couldn't bare to poke holes in the classic Dodge body, so looking towards magnets, especially given my general aversion to Velcro.

Good luck with your painting and please update us with your progress.

Sweet deal, wanna see how it comes out, for me, Still thinking of what colors to use.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:47 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

BTW - I'd also highly recommend Tamiya masking tape. (especially if you're looking for real narrow stuff of 1/8" or so). It seals really well and pulls up easy. For bigger stripes, etc - I just use 3m blue painter's tape. With either one, I also make sure to burnish my edges down really well. (a small, smooth, round plastic implement works well). I often use the end of a large Sharpy marker.

My other "go-to" versus washing the body with dish soap to clean up release agents from the molding is to use isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). It thoroughly cleans and removes any release agents and oils from your hands from handling it. Plus, it evaporates/dries nearly instantly. I've found this particularly handy when doing bodies with a lot of nooks and crannies or places for some residual moisture to hide when you think you've gotten it completely dry and start to paint.

Last edited by mewalsh100; 02-18-2018 at 06:59 AM.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

If I do large areas, a trick I've found is to lay Tamiya tape lengthwise half-on-half-off another piece of material (I often just use newspaper) so that the tape provides the crisp edge Tamiya tape is known for. Works great for windows and two-tone or basic graphics.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote

A few questions about prepping and painting. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with painting body various questions help Spencecrawler Axial AX10 2nd-gen 4 12-29-2016 03:35 PM
Painting questions! Haziza Paint and Body 9 05-21-2016 06:38 AM
painting lexan outside - questions brianw Paint and Body 7 03-25-2010 10:15 AM
questions on painting the bodies?? IcemanXtc Paint and Body 7 01-12-2008 07:57 AM