Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: where are the how to threads???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2018, 01:55 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default where are the how to threads???

Anybody besides me wonder "How do you do that?" Styrene sparks my interest, what is the method to the madness as far as glues, material varieties (if there are), etc. What is involved. Guys cut up lexan bodies, add, subtract or multiply other stuff to them and end up with a seamless product. Then you have aluminum. Downer to that is you ideally need some machinery to make that happen, i.e. welder, shear, brake..... So what do you guys think, start a how to section for the dyi guys????
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2018, 05:17 PM   #2

Default Re: where are the how to threads???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
Anybody besides me wonder "How do you do that?" Styrene sparks my interest, what is the method to the madness as far as glues, material varieties (if there are), etc. What is involved. Guys cut up lexan bodies, add, subtract or multiply other stuff to them and end up with a seamless product. Then you have aluminum. Downer to that is you ideally need some machinery to make that happen, i.e. welder, shear, brake..... So what do you guys think, start a how to section for the dyi guys????

Here’s my channel, I’ve few things made maybe you find useful
https://youtu.be/adXQ3c77lgw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kom55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:18 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Great vid. I could make those after seeing that. Considerably more similar to aluminum for fabwork than I had thought. With aluminum you can emboss that X into the sides with the e wheel so that saves a step. Bonding is way faster that welding! How much abuse will those take? Is it like .030 or .040 material?
Old 03-21-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

There are a lot of How-To, in these threads, just have to read through the different sections to find them. Unfortunately there's not a specific section for How-To's.

If you've been lurking for years you get an idea where to look. b-kons just recently finished a metal skinned Bronco in the "Large Scale Rigs" section where he showed a step-by-step procedure for a 1/6 Bronco body.

Metal Masher has some threads in the "Non-Crawler" section for some demolition derby cars he made.

There are body pinching How-To's in some of the scale sections, and cut and shut How-To's in the "Wheel and Tire" section.

Just gotta look around and do some searching.

In the time I've been here (2013), I've read through about 98% of the threads. My teachers in school couldn't get me to read a book for a book report, but I've been through almost all of the threads here.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:14 PM   #5
RCC Addict

10-4. Would be nice to have them in one section, as how to's instead of having to read 945683321K threads to glean the info. Read? Thats what pictures are for.
In all reality, it appears that most people (high 90% range) are quite content with building their stuff with off the shelf parts, thus explaining the lack of interest in this thread.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:49 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

There is litterally a thread stickied in this Paint and Body section on plastics by hoosierdady. Give it a read. Covers quite a bit.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Great vid. I could make those after seeing that. Considerably more similar to aluminum for fabwork than I had thought. With aluminum you can emboss that X into the sides with the e wheel so that saves a step. Bonding is way faster that welding! How much abuse will those take? Is it like .030 or .040 material?

Thank you
There’s list of materials I’ve used in description

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kom55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:05 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
There is litterally a thread stickied in this Paint and Body section on plastics by hoosierdady. Give it a read. Covers quite a bit.
Thanks for the FYI. I just don't have the patience for photo-suck-it to fix the pics. Still a topic specific thread would potentially be of more value for any scratch builders or potential builders wondering about stuff. Just imagine a how to build sub heading: Chassis 101, suspension 101, tire selection 101, motor/electronics 101, body/paint 101. Yes there is this information found here, just easier to find in one location this way. Like the sc forums have for racer setups. Perhaps I need to search for scratch builder sites instead.....
Old 03-24-2018, 01:50 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks for the FYI. I just don't have the patience for photo-suck-it to fix the pics. Still a topic specific thread would potentially be of more value for any scratch builders or potential builders wondering about stuff. Just imagine a how to build sub heading: Chassis 101, suspension 101, tire selection 101, motor/electronics 101, body/paint 101. Yes there is this information found here, just easier to find in one location this way. Like the sc forums have for racer setups. Perhaps I need to search for scratch builder sites instead.....
There's a stickied thread in the chit chat section that has a link to download a 'de-bugging' program that magically makes photo-sux pics appear in any thread that had them blocked out.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote

where are the how to threads??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
where are all the RF threads? spectre Kyosho Crawlers 2 12-17-2012 09:33 PM
Definitive ESC, MOTOR, and BATTERY threads - RCC's top tech threads! badger Electronics 3 07-02-2011 03:51 PM
what threads........... bob1961 General Crawlers 3 02-11-2009 11:24 PM
Definitive Radio, Power Wiring, BEC and Servo Threads-- RCC's Top Tech Threads! JohnRobHolmes Electronics 0 11-08-2007 07:09 PM
threads abew330 Comments, Suggestions, and Help 10 02-05-2007 01:23 PM