I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New RC4WD Tacoma body

It’s not a Jeep!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Nice to see a body that really hasn't been done before. But something other than a jeep or Toyota would be nice.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:06 PM   #23
RCC Addict

WOW!!! I think for a lexan body that came out pretty spot on. i've been waiting for this era tacoma to drop, and I think it looks good. I'm surprised nobody likes it so far.

Thank you RC4WD It is a little small though, but still.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:49 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Nice, but as other say too narrow, i am not driving a car with tires poking out like that.
I wonder what prompted them to make a body that narrow ?
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:48 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

I agree it's narrow but I think with some narrowed ar44's this will sit nice on my chassis. Picked the body up as soon as I heard about it. Love that it comes with all the hard plastic chrome bits. I got mime mocked up on a chassis that I'm running a pro line 4runner on at the moment but after Sunday it'll be getting worked over to fit this body on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lilws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:14 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Default New RC4WD Tacoma body

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
Cool wheel offset

You know that’s gonna be a big thing using this one...
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:38 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

I got so excited about this body I ordered it without even having a rig to put it on I like that its skinnier than normal, it will look even more scale next to my 1:1 SCX10.2 should be here early next week
Attached Images

generalee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

I love how a new scale body comes out, that's pretty close to the actual proportions, and everyone complains about how narrow the body is.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:01 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

How can you argue those proportions?
Attached Images

generalee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:03 AM   #30
RCC Addict

Thats a 313mm wb cc01 chassis. Umm, have fun with that. It looks great on there and may look ok on a MST cm/cfx. Not so good on Axial, Traxxas or HPI chassis. I think the issue is why didnt Rc4wd just make the body wider. They could have made an extended cab and it would have been perfect and proportioned correct.

Last edited by Killa-Cotton; 04-25-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Killa-Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Great. Finally get a new body that is pretty close to the actual proportions and now the damn axles don't fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewHammer View Post
I love how a new scale body comes out, that's pretty close to the actual proportions, and everyone complains about how narrow the body is.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:47 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
It’s not a Jeep!
Good point. There's a silver lining even in the darkest of stories.

What you are seeing is Chinese engineered products. It's not the right size because they didn't do their homework. It doesn't even fit RC4WD trucks well! Tell me again how RC4WD is better than the other Chinese brands?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:03 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Good point. There's a silver lining even in the darkest of stories.

What you are seeing is Chinese engineered products. It's not the right size because they didn't do their homework. It doesn't even fit RC4WD trucks well! Tell me again how RC4WD is better than the other Chinese brands?
They sacrificed width for length accuracy. If they went for proper width, it'd be a 13" wheelbase thus making everyone get new links.

Even at 9th scale (which is what the Tamiya Hilux is) to get the perfect width, the wheelbase would be an even wackier, 13.6"

Dealing with Toyota, who has to approve all final designs, probably added another level of complexity to the final result.

It was all about compromise. Is it perfect? Nope. Is it still a pretty darn good looking body with a lot of nice detail for a pretty decent price? Yep.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:08 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
They sacrificed width for length accuracy. If they went for proper width, it'd be a 13" wheelbase thus making everyone get new links.

Even at 9th scale (which is what the Tamiya Hilux is) to get the perfect width, the wheelbase would be an even wackier, 13.6"

Dealing with Toyota, who has to approve all final designs, probably added another level of complexity to the final result.

It was all about compromise. Is it perfect? Nope. Is it still a pretty darn good looking body with a lot of nice detail for a pretty decent price? Yep.
Blaming Toyota is a good theory, but I don't buy it. There are other Toyota toys out there that are out of proportion. In fact, there are even other lexan Toyota bodies for RCs that are out of proportion.

Exhibit A:

Old 04-25-2018, 10:11 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Blaming Toyota is a good theory, but I don't buy it. There are other Toyota toys out there that are out of proportion. In fact, there are even other lexan Toyota bodies for RCs that are out of proportion.

Exhibit A:

Blaming Toyota is what you took away from my comment?
Old 04-25-2018, 10:15 AM   #36
Rock Crawler

The problem with this body is the wheelbase to width ratio. The SCX10.2 has a 12.3 wheelbase and a 9" width. If the full size truck doesn't have the same WB/W ratio as the SCX10.2 (or whatever chassis you want to use) a true scaled version of it isn't going to look right on the chassis.

A 2003 Tacoma quad cab has a 122" WB and is 66.5" wide. That means the WB/W ratio is 1.83. A SCX10.2 with a 12.3" WB and 9" wide is 1.37. So if you want the width to be correct you are going to have a to deal with a 16.25 wheelbase truck.

The bottom line is, it's a bad model of vehicle to use for an RC rock crawler if you want it to fit the most popular chassis.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:28 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
Blaming Toyota is what you took away from my comment?
Well that's what you did. You defended RC4WD's decision, who is the company ultimately responsible for the way the body looks, and then mentioned that Toyota might be to blame in not so many words.

RC bodies are not 100% true to scale. Not JConcepts, not Proline and not Tamiya are 100% perfect, scale replications. RC4WD could have skewed the proportions to make it better fit their RC chassis while still still looking good. Other companies do it so why can't RC4WD?
Old 04-25-2018, 10:33 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Well that's what you did. You defended RC4WD's decision, who is the company ultimately responsible for the way the body looks, and then mentioned that Toyota might be to blame in not so many words.

RC bodies are not 100% true to scale. Not JConcepts, not Proline and not Tamiya are 100% perfect, scale replications. RC4WD could have skewed the proportions to make it better fit their RC chassis while still still looking good. Other companies do it so why can't RC4WD?

What this guy said. Look at the Pro-Line SR5 body. The wheelbase is way shorter than a real xtra-cab 85 pickup, as is the bed.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #39
RCC Addict

It's a great looking body no doubt. Lol, i bought one the the second i got the marketing email. I just want my cake and eat it too.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:55 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

There was no defending of anything, simply stating fact that this body was skewed to match existing, popular wheelbases and speculating on why they didn't alter the actual dimensions.

Pobody's Nerfect Jato, why RC4WD decided to do what they did is beyond me.

New RC4WD Tacoma body - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tacoma body? 85toycrawler Paint and Body 9 04-01-2008 10:35 AM
Toyota Tacoma Body? BGGruff Paint and Body 19 08-16-2007 01:07 PM
tacoma body RydeFab Newbie General 1 08-16-2006 10:02 AM