Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: New RC4WD Tacoma body

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2023, 06:44 AM   #101
Rock Stacker

Default Re: New RC4WD Tacoma body

Long time lurker almost done this body on a VS410 builders bundle. Using 1.9 wheels and .185 hubs. Tires are Wildpeak RTs 4.19. Trying to keep the body as low as possible while clearing the big tires requires lots of trimming. Using the trimmed stock bumper for now but will probably throw some kind of steel bumper on it, scaler fab custom width I think. Paint is PS 63 bright gunmetal of course, backed with white- trying to match Toyota Lunar mist. Burned out a shift servo setting it up so will be working on that today as well as painting the body. I would like to post pictures. Anyone else working on this body? Cheers
surfishjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2023, 08:38 AM   #102
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfishjoe View Post
Long time lurker almost done this body on a VS410 builders bundle. Using 1.9 wheels and .185 hubs. Tires are Wildpeak RTs 4.19. Trying to keep the body as low as possible while clearing the big tires requires lots of trimming. Using the trimmed stock bumper for now but will probably throw some kind of steel bumper on it, scaler fab custom width I think. Paint is PS 63 bright gunmetal of course, backed with white- trying to match Toyota Lunar mist. Burned out a shift servo setting it up so will be working on that today as well as painting the body. I would like to post pictures. Anyone else working on this body? Cheers
Here's how I cut my body to be as low as I desired, for a 10.2 chassis but on 1.55 wheels and a bar front bumper. More cutting than I wanted but I wanted the body that low also.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 03:21 PM   #103
Rock Stacker

Yes that thing is sweet I did find your old thread and used it in my research. that thing must be a performer! I am using the amazon JX servo for shifting , just burned up the replacement for the first one. I thought my endpoints were fine but maybe one was off because when I inspected it, it was hot. New one on the way.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:25 PM   #104
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro Majima View Post
Here's how I cut my body to be as low as I desired, for a 10.2 chassis but on 1.55 wheels and a bar front bumper. More cutting than I wanted but I wanted the body that low also.
Question for you. I am just about ready to paint the body (first lexan body for me) Should I make sure all my lexan trimming is done before painting or can I go back later after wheeling it and do final trimming after paint?

Thanks and nice rigs!
Old 01-23-2023, 03:51 PM   #105
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Question for you. I am just about ready to paint the body (first lexan body for me) Should I make sure all my lexan trimming is done before painting or can I go back later after wheeling it and do final trimming after paint?

Thanks and nice rigs!
Yes that is what I do, which is trim everything first and ream the holes. I mount it on the chassis and check my scrub radiuses on all corners up and down, and left/right turns. Before getting to this point, I've already decided on a wheel & tire combo, as well as hub size. After, I decide if I want to do more trimming, or adjust suspension. But seeing through it helps me for whatever reason whether I'm running the scissors or having to use a hobby knife. Good luck!
Old 02-01-2023, 08:01 AM   #106
Rock Stacker

Thank you Goro Majima. I trimmed everything up to clear the 4.19s and I painted. I am in the process of detailing the body and it is looking good. Does anyone have any suggestions for an easy lexan interior I could trim to fit in this body? Just looking to put something in to hide the electronics and be somewhat scale.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:35 PM   #107
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thank you Goro Majima. I trimmed everything up to clear the 4.19s and I painted. I am in the process of detailing the body and it is looking good. Does anyone have any suggestions for an easy lexan interior I could trim to fit in this body? Just looking to put something in to hide the electronics and be somewhat scale.
No problem man.

You can probably get away with this simple one for under $20 US. And just cut the back behind the seat off or leave tabs for glue etc. Idk the dimensions of this though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26576956404...51c4efdaf3409e
Old 02-02-2023, 05:19 AM   #108
Rock Stacker

Ah ha! That is exactly what I am looking for- and cheap! I will cut that baby up and fit it in there and going to install the light kit. Long term plans are metal front bumper, winch and offroad lights. I ordered it -$13 shipped. I will update when I get it, Thanks.

Last edited by surfishjoe; 02-02-2023 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:22 AM   #109
Rock Stacker

Also a tip I learned from building this body. Be careful when assembling the head light lenses to the grill assembly. I botched the install and ripped off the post on the back of one of the lenses and had to order new ones from rc4wd. 2 lenses and 2 sideview mirrors (i got them as extras) shipped was $17! Also they said it may take 4-6 weeks to get the parts!
Old 02-14-2023, 05:50 AM   #110
Rock Stacker

The Interior fits great and looks appropriate for a 4 door Taco. Ordered the Tamiya bruiser driver to install as the driver.
Old 03-10-2023, 05:47 AM   #111
Rock Stacker

Wow- have to hand it RC4WD. They sent me another sealed Tacoma body and a solid axle mafia t shirt free of charge! Thanks RC4WD. I am sending the new body to blue line fabrication so he can work up some sliders and a bumper. Loving this body the only complaint I have is the mirrors snap off- going to try the rubber ones next. Oh and update on the tamiya driver. He fits in the interior after trimming but he is a little big but for my fist scale interior I think it came out great, wish I could post pictures.

New RC4WD Tacoma body - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tacoma body? 85toycrawler Paint and Body 9 04-01-2008 10:35 AM
Toyota Tacoma Body? BGGruff Paint and Body 19 08-16-2007 01:07 PM
tacoma body RydeFab Newbie General 1 08-16-2006 10:02 AM