Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Lexan repair question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2018, 09:38 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Lexan repair question

So ran my brand new Proline Jeep body this weekend and on the second run I damaged the body. There is a crack on the back fender where I guess I unintentionally scored the body during masking. So to fix this i've heard the trick about using Shoe Goo and drywall tape. Can I first paint the drywall tape black before applying it to the body? Since the white drywall tape would be an eyesore on the bottom side of the fender i'd like to make it less of an eyesore.
Asuckaphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2018, 09:42 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Lexan repair question

I use a scrap piece of lexan spanning the crack on the inside and Shoo Goo or E6000. Works great and doesn't mess with the paint job.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

That's not a bad idea except i'd need a 90 degree piece of lexan which I don't have. It's on a jeep body right where the fender meets the body.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:16 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Repair, then paint black with a brush after it all dries...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuckaphish View Post
That's not a bad idea except i'd need a 90 degree piece of lexan which I don't have. It's on a jeep body right where the fender meets the body.
That's why I especially keep my 90° trimmed pieces...things always seem to break at corners. Where a body meets the base flash is always a good scrounge.

I've done field repairs drilling holes and stitching with zip ties, but that ain't pretty.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I hear ya there, I keep a box full of plastic packaging materials in odd shapes - sometimes when you buy a product the plastic it comes in is really useful as well.

I bought something sorta puck-shaped recently (can't remember what!) and the plastic would make a perfect spare tire cover!
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #7
RCC Addict

That's a good idea too.

What the hell was that, a land mine with an AC adapter??
Old 08-14-2018, 03:24 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Nah, probably a sex toy...

(I honestly can't remember...)
Old 08-14-2018, 03:36 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I saw durok's pic and although I also had no clue what it was, I saw m2tech had commented below and knew that he would not only be commenting on the packaging but that he would potentially offer up the absolute most plausible assumption. Was not disappointed!

I'm assuming we'll see this land-mine with AC charging & detonation capability in the recent purchase thread!

EDIT> Too late... now I know it's just another Vibro-matic 110 XL with auto-dimming function. :(

Last edited by high plains drifter; 08-14-2018 at 03:39 PM.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:29 PM   #10
RCC Addict

^^^

The sad part is that if it was a sex toy and he already forgot about it it must've been a disappointment, or he already buried the land mine and forgot where. Either way, I'm not going over!!

Wait, auto dimming????

Last edited by 2mtech; 08-14-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:53 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Dimming feature... maybe for those more romantic moments?? And just in case he's not being completely forthcoming... who's to say that there's not now a land-mine inside of durok?
Old 08-14-2018, 05:03 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

(oh, no.... what have I just started...)

Whatever it was, I must have bought two, because I have the packaging from both.

Whenever I figure it out, I'll post it up.

Now, to try and bring this back to RC....(?)

Ummm...

Oh, yeah - repairing Lexan.

Ah, I give up!
Old 08-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #13
RCC Addict

My concern with some patch-jobs is that if it's an area that is likely to take future stress/ hits... that the patch will open up again. If it's an area that can be trimmed, then that could be a viable route to go. May not look as good as it originally did but it may wind up looking okay and might minimize the potential for further damage. I have a Stampede that I had to remove much of the rear end because with each time that I patched it, the impact of the next hit just got transferred further into the body. Removing that part of the rear-end was the only way that I could eliminate more collateral damage.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Yes, apologies to Asuckaphish (that always makes me chuckle) for so thoroughly corrupting this otherwise wholesome thread.

Breaking right at a fender is a bitch to trim away unless you're going for a bob. I have yet to rebreak a spliced lexan repair, but I've had new breaks right next to them. Makes you want to dip the whole body in Shoo Goo.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:25 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I've actually had decent luck using bondene (acetone) to bond cracks back together in addition to backing the crack with drywall tape and E6000. Be warned though, acetone will effect your paint but paint can be touched up, apply from the inside as using it on the outside will leave a glossy sheen where ever it ends up.

And as for a 90* piece of lexan, simply take your lexan and start the bend, heat it with a lighter and make the shape you want, let cool and now it will hold its new shape. Using a counter top edge or something with a square shape can help getting sharp bends.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 08-14-2018 at 05:31 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:19 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So ran my brand new Proline Jeep body this weekend and on the second run I damaged the body. There is a crack on the back fender where I guess I unintentionally scored the body during masking. So to fix this i've heard the trick about using Shoe Goo and drywall tape. Can I first paint the drywall tape black before applying it to the body? Since the white drywall tape would be an eyesore on the bottom side of the fender i'd like to make it less of an eyesore.

You can also use black E6000.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Yes, apologies to Asuckaphish (that always makes me chuckle) for so thoroughly corrupting this otherwise wholesome thread.

Breaking right at a fender is a bitch to trim away unless you're going for a bob. I have yet to rebreak a spliced lexan repair, but I've had new breaks right next to them. Makes you want to dip the whole body in Shoo Goo.

Haha I was just getting caught up on the thread and laughing along with where it went. No apologies needed.

I was actually trying to keep from having to go the bob route as I like the look with the fenders.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:39 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
You can also use black E6000.
Ernie

I had no idea they had E6000 in black. That might be the ticket especailly if I can find a small tube of it locally. I have E6000 on hand but it's clear. I did think about just painting over the glue after it had dried but I heard that paint won't adhere to the glue so the already black glue would be perfect.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:52 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
I had no idea they had E6000 in black. That might be the ticket especailly if I can find a small tube of it locally. I have E6000 on hand but it's clear. I did think about just painting over the glue after it had dried but I heard that paint won't adhere to the glue so the already black glue would be perfect.
That was a new one on me too. Ernie comes through again!

https://www.amazon.com/Eclectic-Prod.../dp/B00BSB2R7O

Lexan repair question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best repair for scratched lexan? dr frankenstyle Paint and Body 25 09-18-2018 04:59 PM
How to repair lexan? Fred1988 Paint and Body 1 04-28-2017 09:21 AM
Lexan body repair Jero Paint and Body 4 12-14-2014 09:41 PM
lexan repair gsrcivic Paint and Body 0 08-27-2014 10:28 AM
Lexan repair rollover3t Paint and Body 6 03-21-2010 05:07 PM