Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Spraying outside of lexan body

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Spraying outside of lexan body

So, I'm committed to spraying the outside of Proline Commanche body I just picked up for the TRX-4. I've had good success on hard-body exteriors using the Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Cover Paint + Primer. It states on the can that it does bond to plastic. I have a nearly full can left from when I sprayed the 1/18 Gelande and I like the color.

I've also scoured the forums and it seems like success as far as durability shooting lexan on the outside has been hit and miss.

I've got all my masking done, and will scuff sand it thoroughly with a scotch-brite pad, and then wipe down with isopropyl alcohol.

Just looking to hear from people who have used the above paint in this manner or similar paint (Krylon Fusion) and how it worked out. Durability? Finish?
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: Spraying outside of lexan body

I’ve been considering this too, from what I’ve gathered it helps to hit the outside with coat of tamiya ps paint as a primer on and to paint the inside silver so when it scrapes off the outside it looks like real metal underneath.

Excited to see what you end up with!
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:41 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I'll post up some pics Pant Danza. I figure this is the body to try it on as I screwed up for using my magnetic mounts. I was using the Sporto body to estimate how much to trim along the rocker line. I forgot to account for the fact that the body posts will no longer be passing through the holes, so I ended up taking about 1/8" too much off the bottom of the rocker, allowing you to see just inside of the truck when looking at it level on. Not too bad, but that sort of stuff bothers me. I'm usually on top of that sort of thing, but I had a few interruptions that screwed me up. Anyway, since I'll be flat blacking the hood and using bedliner in the bed, I just went ahead and drilled body post holes.(Posts won't show up too bad in the black) Sits perfect that way.

Last edited by mewalsh100; 01-15-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:21 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

both painted on exterior utilzing said paint.

DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:11 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Looks great man! How does it hold up Duke? I just got my main colored sprayed and it looks sweet. Has a nice, matte/satin finish. I did undercoat inside the body with a similar, Duratrax blue. Have to wait for the exterior paint to set up so I can mask to shoot the flat black and the bedliner. Thinking I'm going to just leave it above one of the heat registers and give it 24hrs.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Looks great man! How does it hold up Duke? I just got my main colored sprayed and it looks sweet. Has a nice, matte/satin finish. I did undercoat inside the body with a similar, Duratrax blue. Have to wait for the exterior paint to set up so I can mask to shoot the flat black and the bedliner. Thinking I'm going to just leave it above one of the heat registers and give it 24hrs.
seems to hold up ok. As you can notice, I got hasty with the sharpee work on the rubicon and matte clear too soon and got some funky running, but other than that I don't have any complaints.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

10-4. Thanks for the heads up. So, you do a matte clear over it afterward? Are you doing that to flat it out more or protect it a bit? I'm liking where the shine, or lack of shine is on mine right now. I'd only use matte clear if it helps protect finish a bit more.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I did it more as a layer of protection. I only did that on the blue one. The grey comanche is straight paint finish. If I do it over again, I won't matte clear over. I didn't think to mask the windshield off when I did so, and its cloudy now. Live and learn
Old 01-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Ok - Cool. I think I'll just stick with the paint as final finish then. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Hobbyjumper, what brand paint did you use?
Smonkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I have been painting the outside of my bodies for years.

My latest....

Black primer coat, of Pactra lexan paint.

And topped with Rustoleum metallic flake gloss blue.

And stickers added.

Two years of crawling and I am thinking of replacing the body. She is tearing in a few places and the body is pretty well hammered. I could probably repaint her and glue up the cracks, but I have another body waiting or paint.

lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:15 AM   #12
Slow is the new Fast

My concern with using Krylon or Rustoleum is that is isn’t flexible enough to sustain the bumping on a lexan shell and will eventually crack. I prefer painting my lexan bodies on the exterior bu have always used Tamiya rattle cans. Perhaps I am mistaken in my assumption that non lexan specific paints will crack? It would sure open up the pallette possibilities if I am wrong.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:23 AM   #13
RCC Addict

I sprayed the exterior of my red defender with black krylon fusion. I scuffed and wiped down with alcohol. Sprayed 4 thin layers and had good coverage. Let dry a couple days everything flexed around ok with no issues, but now Mine hasn't done to well. Anywhere I have scrapped rocks the paint has came off as expected, but had a few good tumbles down the 4ft section of my backyard course and crunched the window pillars a bit the paint has pretty much shattered in those areas. A few other areas as well. If you're easy on your rig I'd say go for it. If you're hard on your rig (like I am) I wouldn't recommend it. Good luck!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:02 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I updated over in the "What did you do to your TRX-4 today" thread. The paint turned out really well. I got the exact matte/satin finish I was going for. I used the Rust-Oleum 2X Paint + Primer that "bonds to plastic". I've had great success with this paint on hard bodies, but alas, they don't flex like lexan. Time will tell, but I can say that I had a couple oops moments handling the body afterward with some additional trimming, and fitting to fine tune. Paint held up well. Even dropped it on the shop floor once. Okay, twice!

I think with any paint job, the Devil is in the details. Thorough prep is absolutely key. I scuff sanded the exterior completely with scotch brite pads. I then washed it with Dawn dish soap. Once it was dry, I wiped it down with isopropyl alcohol while wearing latex gloves. From this point forward I only handled it with gloves until I was finished. You'd be surprised how much your natural body oils want to repel paint!

I had a ton of masking to do as I explained over in the other thread. 3 colors - The blue, Flat black on the hood, and bedliner in the bed, on the rockers, and on the flares. So it was mask for blue, shoot. Let the blue set up for about 28 hours (this is also key and I kept it sitting on a heat register the whole time). Once that was set up, it was mask off the blue and the unpainted hood so i could shoot the bedliner in the bed, rockers and flares. Let that set up for 6 hours - it dries quickly. Unmasked everything again, then re-masked everything but the hood to shoot the flat black. After all that was done, it was "wash, rinse, repeat" for the inside. I shot the inside with the blue, black and bedliner as well. This way, the inevitable scratches will be color matched on the inside, albeit a bit glossier.

Also, I figure for any real bad scratches, it will be easy enough to do a quick scuff sand and simple mask to shoot a touch up. I've still got a long way to go to detail the body out, but it's getting there. Gearhead RC roof rack with torch LED light bar is on the way. I also made some light buckets and got them fitted for some white and red running LED's I had laying around. I masked the inside and outside headlight and taillight areas so they would remain clear. The LED's pass through the clear and glow right through the lens decals. Turned out real well I think.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2019, 09:15 AM   #15
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
I updated over in the "What did you do to your TRX-4 today" thread. The paint turned out really well. I got the exact matte/satin finish I was going for. I used the Rust-Oleum 2X Paint + Primer that "bonds to plastic". I've had great success with this paint on hard bodies, but alas, they don't flex like lexan. Time will tell, but I can say that I had a couple oops moments handling the body afterward with some additional trimming, and fitting to fine tune. Paint held up well. Even dropped it on the shop floor once. Okay, twice!

I think with any paint job, the Devil is in the details. Thorough prep is absolutely key. I scuff sanded the exterior completely with scotch brite pads. I then washed it with Dawn dish soap. Once it was dry, I wiped it down with isopropyl alcohol while wearing latex gloves. From this point forward I only handled it with gloves until I was finished. You'd be surprised how much your natural body oils want to repel paint!

I had a ton of masking to do as I explained over in the other thread. 3 colors - The blue, Flat black on the hood, and bedliner in the bed, on the rockers, and on the flares. So it was mask for blue, shoot. Let the blue set up for about 28 hours (this is also key and I kept it sitting on a heat register the whole time). Once that was set up, it was mask off the blue and the unpainted hood so i could shoot the bedliner in the bed, rockers and flares. Let that set up for 6 hours - it dries quickly. Unmasked everything again, then re-masked everything but the hood to shoot the flat black. After all that was done, it was "wash, rinse, repeat" for the inside. I shot the inside with the blue, black and bedliner as well. This way, the inevitable scratches will be color matched on the inside, albeit a bit glossier.

Also, I figure for any real bad scratches, it will be easy enough to do a quick scuff sand and simple mask to shoot a touch up. I've still got a long way to go to detail the body out, but it's getting there. Gearhead RC roof rack with torch LED light bar is on the way. I also made some light buckets and got them fitted for some white and red running LED's I had laying around. I masked the inside and outside headlight and taillight areas so they would remain clear. The LED's pass through the clear and glow right through the lens decals. Turned out real well I think.
Nice job! The colours are great. May have to try this...
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:18 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
My concern with using Krylon or Rustoleum is that is isn’t flexible enough to sustain the bumping on a lexan shell and will eventually crack. I prefer painting my lexan bodies on the exterior bu have always used Tamiya rattle cans. Perhaps I am mistaken in my assumption that non lexan specific paints will crack? It would sure open up the pallette possibilities if I am wrong.
I bashed on the truck this last weekend, racing my nephew and his slash. To say I beat on the body is an understatement. Using the pactra paint as the primer was key I think, not a crack, or flake to be seen in the paint.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:34 AM   #17
Gold Star Baby!

looks really good! I'm a fan, you have some skills and the patience shows. These success stories have me thinking I should give this a try. I have an old bronco body that's pretty beat up on the outside sitting around that I could use as a project.

walsh, I feel your pain with the masking. This last time I rolled the dice and used a thick plastic bag and just taped off the opening around the truck, when I was spraying my bedliner. It worked really well and saved a lot of time; the whole front end/cab of the truck was in the bag so I had just had to mask off the rest of the bed.

lonelycreeper can you post what primer you've used and had success with?
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
looks really good! I'm a fan, you have some skills and the patience shows. These success stories have me thinking I should give this a try. I have an old bronco body that's pretty beat up on the outside sitting around that I could use as a project.

walsh, I feel your pain with the masking. This last time I rolled the dice and used a thick plastic bag and just taped off the opening around the truck, when I was spraying my bedliner. It worked really well and saved a lot of time; the whole front end/cab of the truck was in the bag so I had just had to mask off the rest of the bed.

lonelycreeper can you post what primer you've used and had success with?
Yeah, this was my primer....

https://www.testors.com/product-cata...z-sprays#tab-0
Old 01-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys! I think it'll look great once I'm finished with all the little details. Still debating on adding some weathering to this one though. I guess I'll see how it holds up. if it starts to get beat up,some weathering effects might just enhance that look.

Danza - I would definitely give it a go on an old, beat up body!
Old 01-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #20
SMW
Rock Stacker

Nice job. I am hoping to pick up some of the new line of pro-line paint for lexan. I hope it works as well as fascolor in the airbrush. I think you are absolutely right about proper prep and gloves. Too many people blame the paint for not sticking or holding up but they just sprayed over the “ brand new body that was clean”. I hope to do an outside paint job with inside silver and primer color so scratches look “real”. Time for the scale beater look. Sometimes mud/dirt/dust gives you the best final coat ! Lol.
SMW is offline   Reply With Quote

Spraying outside of lexan body - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spraying down some stripes. Need advice please Hirschowl Paint and Body 4 02-01-2014 07:05 AM
Spraying liquid mask highlandcrawler Paint and Body 10 10-13-2011 10:25 AM
Comp Rules on Spraying Tires? Iberian Tires and Wheels 3 02-02-2010 12:21 PM
airbrush is spraying cobwebs KYScorpion Paint and Body 27 04-27-2008 07:09 PM
Lexan body spraying - snake scale print Robocop Newbie General 11 07-26-2007 02:27 PM