Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Securing a lexan body with velcro?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2019, 08:17 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Securing a lexan body with velcro?

So I've never used Velcro or any clip/posts system to mount bodies before. Could anyone share some tips or tricks on what to use for a lexan body? I've got a body with an interior I'd like to use and would love to go postless!

Thank you.
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2019, 08:38 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Securing a lexan body with velcro?

Use some ring magnets like these (see link). Trim the top off the mount posts so they are 1/4" tall. Glue one magnet to the post and the other to the underside of the body. The post inserted into the magnets keeps it all lined up. The problem with velcro is that it wears out over time and velcro gets pretty nasty in mud.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-x-1-4-x...S!-1:rk:2:pf:0

Last edited by Inspector86; 02-18-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I m also gonna say do the ring magnets on the post.
Both lexan bodies .

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:14 AM   #4

My tip is - don't do it. Velcro will pull off after time. And sometimes it will pull your nice paint job with it. Same goes for magnets. Posts are still the best in terms of functionality.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:11 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
My tip is - don't do it. Velcro will pull off after time. And sometimes it will pull your nice paint job with it. Same goes for magnets. Posts are still the best in terms of functionality.
I did not think about that! Another option would be to create a hinge mechanism and secure it to the Proline interior then run front body posts.
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:40 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Default Securing a lexan body with velcro?

Prep is your key. Shoe goo and lexan work well together. But if you don’t prep correctly for paint it will lift off in a sheet. You need to scuff the CLEAN lexan. Wash, dry, then scuff. This removes all mold release. Then use a paint that chemically bonds to lexan. Then let paint dry and cure.
Then magnets or Velcro. Mine fall and the magnets haven’t failed yet. You must do the clear tape between .
I sorta agree with Jato, but it can be done.

Hang up and Drive
Old 02-19-2019, 04:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Prep is your key. Shoe goo and lexan work well together. But if you don’t prep correctly for paint it will lift off in a sheet. You need to scuff the CLEAN lexan. Wash, dry, then scuff. This removes all mold release. Then use a paint that chemically bonds to lexan. Then let paint dry and cure.
Then magnets or Velcro. Mine fall and the magnets haven’t failed yet. You must do the clear tape between .
I sorta agree with Jato, but it can be done.

Hang up and Drive
I wash, scuff then rewash my bodies for painting using dish soap both times. The paint was either Duratrax or Tamiya. Magnets held on by brand name Shoe Goo. Two of my magnets fell off and took paint with them. The spots that peeled were barely larger than the magnet. The other two I couldn't pull off so they're still on the body.

I'm not sure what caused it, but I know it's not worth it, to me, to try again. Body clips are simple and effective. The only time I wish I'd use Velcro or magnets is when I'm taking photos and that is a very small percentage of my day when I'm doing a trail run. I do see others have success with it though.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Use some ring magnets like these (see link). Trim the top off the mount posts so they are 1/4" tall. Glue one magnet to the post and the other to the underside of the body. The post inserted into the magnets keeps it all lined up. The problem with velcro is that it wears out over time and velcro gets pretty nasty in mud.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-x-1-4-x...S!-1:rk:2:pf:0
Thanks for the link to the ebay supplier. I have been looking for these but the only ones I could find here in the great white north are $2.50 Canadian FOR 1 MAGNET. Do the math, that's $50 + 12% tax here for 20 magnets!

Originally Posted by mikemcE - You must do the clear tape between.
Mike - can you explain the purpose of the clear tape on top of the magnets please. Thanks.

Hang up and Drive
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I wash, scuff then rewash my bodies for painting using dish soap both times. The paint was either Duratrax or Tamiya. Magnets held on by brand name Shoe Goo. Two of my magnets fell off and took paint with them. The spots that peeled were barely larger than the magnet. The other two I couldn't pull off so they're still on the body.

I'm not sure what caused it, but I know it's not worth it, to me, to try again. Body clips are simple and effective. The only time I wish I'd use Velcro or magnets is when I'm taking photos and that is a very small percentage of my day when I'm doing a trail run. I do see others have success with it though.
Ive had issues with Duratrax a few times. I was told it was not painting in the "window" on my Backer coats. I know from years of shooting Tamiya (TS) lacquers, the recoat window is tight, within a 1/2 hour or wait 48 hours, 72 for clear TS13. When the two coats are dry but not cured, they dont chemically bond.
Ive found a scotch green pad to scuff works best with a bit of soapy water.

I detest clips, so many bodys use a 4mm screw and ProLine caps
Old 02-19-2019, 05:16 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 View Post
Originally Posted by mikemcE - You must do the clear tape between.
Mike - can you explain the purpose of the clear tape on top of the magnets please. Thanks.

Hang up and Drive
Sure. The clear tape prevents the dry Shoe Goo from sticking to itself. Its explained in this Video.

I put it between when drying overnight, because when I tried the first time without, I pulled one magnet off the body.

After they cured, I covered them with clear tape to keep everything tight

This was the whole post
Bea

Last edited by mikemcE; 02-19-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:32 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Sure. The clear tape prevents the dry Shoe Goo from sticking to itself. Its explained in this Video.

I put it between when drying overnight, because when I tried the first time without, I pulled one magnet off the body.

After they cured, I covered them with clear tape to keep everything tight

This was the whole post
Bea
Got it now. Thanks Mike.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Ive had issues with Duratrax a few times. I was told it was not painting in the "window" on my Backer coats. I know from years of shooting Tamiya (TS) lacquers, the recoat window is tight, within a 1/2 hour or wait 48 hours, 72 for clear TS13. When the two coats are dry but not cured, they dont chemically bond.
Ive found a scotch green pad to scuff works best with a bit of soapy water.

I detest clips, so many bodys use a 4mm screw and ProLine caps
I usually paint a coat, set my phone timer for 10 or 15 minutes and then I paint again.

Securing a lexan body with velcro? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Securing LEDs to lexan/plastic buckets GRandturk Electronics 12 08-09-2013 11:36 PM
Rubicon/any body velcro body mounts uclabruins89 Axial SCX-10 4 07-26-2013 10:12 PM
Need some advice... Painted lexan body and velcro Crawl Wonder Paint and Body 1 09-26-2011 11:17 AM
How are you guys securing your LED's to Honcho body headlights? Hordsak Axial SCX-10 10 03-24-2010 11:14 AM
Velcro body mounting TIMZKRAWLER Paint and Body 15 07-01-2009 09:13 PM