Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: TRX-4 Defender Modification Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2019, 07:40 PM   #1

Default TRX-4 Defender Modification Suggestions

Good Evening Everyone, First time poster - short time lurker. I love checking out everyone's RC mods!

Now to the point of my post:

I'm quite new to the RC world and I've recently picked up a TRX-4 Defender. As much as I would love to just start dropping money on upgrades, my wife would not, so I'm looking to made some body modifications.

I'm quite interested in cutting off the rear end of the Defender body to create a bed as a couple of people here have done.

Now my problem is I'm not 100% sure how to go about cutting that bad boy out. I know for certain that my Dremel isn't the way to go. I also do not have access to a band saw.

I've read about the string trick but I'm confident I cant cut a straight line so my question is this:

1. Can I use an hobby knife to create a score line and then continue to gently run the blade over that same line until I get through the body? I can imagine it would be time consuming but if it'll work and I'll get clean results - time isn't really an issue.

2. Would it be a better idea to create the score line with the hobby knife and then go at it with the string; using the score line as a guide?

Or are both these ideas trash?

Any input/suggestions you folks may have is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
CodeEzra_RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2019, 04:11 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: TRX-4 Defender Modification Suggestions

Cutting with a string is super easy. Just use masking tape as your guide. Put it down with the tape on the side you want to save. Get the tape nice and straight. Make sure the first layer is stuck good then do 1-2 more layers of tape. Then either drill or cut a starting spot for your string to go through. I used thin string like for doing form work, but I think kite string would work good. Here's a link to my Trx-4 build AnimalHippie's Trx-4 Adventure once your ready to dive in. PM me and I'll tell you the couple things I would have done a little different. Good luck!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:03 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeEzra_RC View Post
1. Can I use an hobby knife to create a score line and then continue to gently run the blade over that same line until I get through the body?
Yes, this will work fine. I'd wager this would give the cleanest cut. Use tape as your guide on the roof and sides, and go slow and easy on the first score line to keep it as straight as possible. Then, just let the knife work through the first score you've created. Once you've scored the lexan enough, it will snap clean along the score line by just bending it. Try and orient your cuts so you can score and break off the rest if possible.

I've tried string on hard bodies, but never on a Lexan. I'm sure it works fine there as well.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:06 PM   #4

Thanks for the input gentlemen. Ive got some materials and planning to do. Ill be sure to follow up as things progress!
Old 05-01-2019, 10:43 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Oh ya, welcome to RCC!

As said, take your time, plan the cuts. String takes forever on lexan, I used tiny drill bit at corners of cuts (before cutting) to prevent tearing of the lexan.

Next time I would use about half the width of folding tabs to E6000 the bed cover in place. Not overlap the cab back sections at roof and drip rails (over windows), also maybe not overlap it at all. This would help body lines line up better and look better imo. Definitely still use some drywall mesh tape (but about half the width of the strips). Need any help, just post a follow up!

Here's my thread, there's several other good pickup bed mod threads in TRX-4 section too.
Natedog drives and rebuilds a TRX-4
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:53 AM   #6

Thanks for the feedback Natedog.

Right now I'm considering just buying a new defender body instead of stripping the paint off of the old body and just swapping hardware over. Keep the old body for stock so I have something to drive around with.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2019, 11:14 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

You're welcome.

New body would have benefits of clear windows, but you could cut them out and glue in clear pieces. I would outside paint it either way since you're gluing it back together.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX-4 Defender Modification Suggestions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dabbler's TRX-4 Defender johnnyluv Traxxas TRX-4 15 10-10-2019 08:50 PM
TRX-4 Defender & Bronco sickpuppy Videos! 0 10-21-2018 04:35 AM
TRX-4 Defender Upgrade Options Recommendations emberwilde Traxxas TRX-4 0 07-02-2018 11:01 PM
TRX-4 Defender Upgrade Options Recommendations emberwilde Traxxas TRX-4 0 07-02-2018 10:58 PM
TRX-4 Defender Adventure (and some mudding) Mountainsofbeer Scale Videos! 0 10-10-2017 07:30 PM