RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Paint and Body (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/paint-body/)
-   -   Axial k5 grill on c10 body? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/paint-body/611202-axial-k5-grill-c10-body.html)

lilws6 08-24-2019 12:08 PM

Axial k5 grill on c10 body?

Has anyone done this? I’ve thought about it seeing as the 69 grill would match the c10 body a little better but I am not sure if they interchangeable on the bodies. I plan on painting up a c10 for my element but don’t want to cut it out yet if I can use the k5 grill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

durok 08-24-2019 02:14 PM

Re: Axial k5 grill on c10 body?

It might be worth reaching out to Axial regarding that, since they are both Axial products.

Funny that you are thinking of that - Myself, I want to use the Suburban Ascender grille on the K10 Ascender body - for the included light buckets.

58_Willys 08-25-2019 08:31 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I too, have been contemplating this idea. The hood on the C10 is a little different than the Blazer, but I think the this is doable.

After countless hours of looking at pics and comparing the grills together (I have both grill sets), the Blazer and the C10 bodies have a flat grill area that gets cut out to allow for mounting. Although the grill cut out areas are different, I would just cut out the required area for the 69 grill, just enough so the mounting can take place. That way, if you decide later on to revert back to 67 grill, just more cutting will be needed to fit it with the simulated radiator bulkhead. Both grills are the same size, but do have slightly different head light positions, and the back panels are not interchangeable. I don't have C10 body yet, or I would have tried this already. I do have an awesome idea planned for the C10 though. ;-)

Here are a couple of shots of the grills...I cutout the fake grill inserts so I could add something a little more realistic. Hope this helps to get you going.

lilws6 08-25-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58_Willys (Post 5958187)
I too, have been contemplating this idea. The hood on the C10 is a little different than the Blazer, but I think the this is doable.

After countless hours of looking at pics and comparing the grills together (I have both grill sets), the Blazer and the C10 bodies have a flat grill area that gets cut out to allow for mounting. Although the grill cut out areas are different, I would just cut out the required area for the 69 grill, just enough so the mounting can take place. That way, if you decide later on to revert back to 67 grill, just more cutting will be needed to fit it with the simulated radiator bulkhead. Both grills are the same size, but do have slightly different head light positions, and the back panels are not interchangeable. I don't have C10 body yet, or I would have tried this already. I do have an awesome idea planned for the C10 though. ;-)

Here are a couple of shots of the grills...I cutout the fake grill inserts so I could add something a little more realistic. Hope this helps to get you going.

Thanks for those pics. That makes me think it’s easily do able. I did notice you can’t run the c10 radiator with the blazer grill since I could see the mounting screws are different. But now that I’ve seen the grills side by side. At least I know they are the same size and trimming the body to fit it nicely is all I need to do. That makes my decision to order the k5 grill that much easier. Thanks.

lilws6 09-03-2019 11:47 AM

Th k5 grill will fit with just some minor adjustments. Nothing crazy. Just thought I’d post Incase anyone else had the same question.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...cf74149c9b.jpg

durok 09-03-2019 03:37 PM

^^^ Stunning work, MAJOR props to ya, my man!

58_Willys 09-03-2019 04:00 PM

Nicely done. Some black screen material in the slots, will disguise the back brace. "thumbsup"

lilws6 09-03-2019 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58_Willys (Post 5960078)
Nicely done. Some black screen material in the slots, will disguise the back brace. "thumbsup"

I’m probably going to cut the outer braces and leave the inner ones. I made the c10 radiator bolt behind the grill so I’ll probably also make filler panels and I was thinking some mesh. Just need to find the right size...

JatoTheRipper 09-04-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilws6 (Post 5960026)
Th k5 grill will fit with just some minor adjustments. Nothing crazy. Just thought I’d post Incase anyone else had the same question.

That looks awesome and it's the way Proline should be doing things.

lilws6 09-04-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5960225)
That looks awesome and it's the way Proline should be doing things.

I think all the body makers should know by now we want a light lexan body with the proper accents to make it look right. Otherwise I prefer hard bodies normally.

JatoTheRipper 09-05-2019 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilws6 (Post 5960269)
I think all the body makers should know by now we want a light lexan body with the proper accents to make it look right. Otherwise I prefer hard bodies normally.

I agree.

I totally understand all-Lexan bodies. They are much lighter than bodies with hard plastic accents. And those that comp and want all out performance will choose the lightweight all-Lexan bodies. But they should at least sprinkle some hard plastic accents in their body lineup.

lilws6 09-05-2019 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5960411)
I agree.

I totally understand all-Lexan bodies. They are much lighter than bodies with hard plastic accents. And those that comp and want all out performance will choose the lightweight all-Lexan bodies. But they should at least sprinkle some hard plastic accents in their body lineup.

For sure [emoji106]

M1tch 09-05-2019 02:24 PM

Oh yeah as as said already, that's a great job. Looks like it was meant to fit there.