Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Paint that stick on other paints???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2019, 02:15 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Paint that stick on other paints???

Can brand A paint stick onto brand B paint?

Example, can i use tamiya clear, 1st im spraying onto the body, then hit it with a krylon paint, so that's why im asking if brand a paint can stick onto brand b paint? Is it gonns work?
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2019, 02:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Paint that stick on other paints???

If it's all Lexan paint, then yes. It's no different than putting brand A oil in your car, even though it was previously filled with brand B oil, as long as they're the same type of oil (ie. don't recommend mixing reg oil & synthetic oil, any more than mixing paint designed for ABS plastic with paint designed for Lexan.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

On this truck...

I used Parma polycarbonate paint then sprayed over it with Rustoleum Metallic...

lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:45 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The trick with lexan is to have the initial coat bite into the surface. Then almost any other paint can be used.
However if applied too thick , it can crack off the base. I use PS55 as a primer, then most lacquers bond well.
Parma or ProLine also will work as a base.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

And, if Pro-Line will work, then Created will also work, since Pro-Line paint is just Createx paint.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:56 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

FWIW, here’s an example of Duratrax black and silver polycarbonate/lexan paint over Rustoleum John Deer Green that was on there for a month. I’d sanded/roughed it with 400 grit. There’s some gatoring where the two paints interacted. The reaction was immediate and has otherwise cured well.

So you’re seeing is a lexan specific over Rustoleum. Not terrible here, maybe even cool for a weathered effect, but would have sucked if it was all over, like the main body’s Duratrax Competition Orange. That went very well externally, over the unfinished gray of an Element Sendero. Again, 400 grit scuffing.
Attached Images

LincolnofDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:56 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
The trick with lexan is to have the initial coat bite into the surface. Then almost any other paint can be used.
However if applied too thick , it can crack off the base. I use PS55 as a primer, then most lacquers bond well.

Hang up and Drive

Right on the money !!
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:00 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I used tamiya clear then rustoleum without issue

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:10 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

mikemcE—-“The trick with lexan is to have the initial coat bite into the surface. Then almost any other paint can be used.
However if applied too thick , it can crack off the base. I use PS55 as a primer, then most lacquers bond well.”

Been wondering about this for a minute, thanks. Being able to use non-hobby grade backers in white, black and silver is gonna help a lot. I’d used Rustoleum and Krylon before as backers to good effect. It was interesting to see the chemicals react when reversing the base coat.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:30 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnofDeath View Post
mikemcE—-“The trick with lexan is to have the initial coat bite into the surface. Then almost any other paint can be used.
However if applied too thick , it can crack off the base. I use PS55 as a primer, then most lacquers bond well.”

Been wondering about this for a minute, thanks. Being able to use non-hobby grade backers in white, black and silver is gonna help a lot. I’d used Rustoleum and Krylon before as backers to good effect. It was interesting to see the chemicals react when reversing the base coat.

Painted PS-62 Orange in three very light coats. Backed with PS-1 White using two light coats. Didn't want to see white through the wheel-wells. Final backer using black Rustoleum Sandable Primer caused crazing everywhere. Crazing looks as if it effected into the white only. Sprayed on a coat of black Flex Seal to cover crazing and entire inside. So far so good after six hours. However, the crazing is noticeable from outside as a darker shade of the PS-12 Orange. Not standout noticeable, but noticeable to me. I don't think a second coat will take away the darker crazing/ shades of orange. Thoughts? I'll see if I can get pic's up.

Oh well...another learning experience!
Rockin140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

P.S. Before backing with Rustoleum, I let the orange cure 24 hours and the white cure over 48 hours.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:43 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Different solvent bases affect others. Rustoleum is a hot solvent. Tamiya TS lacquer re coat window is 72 hours.
I’ve mixed many different bases, but it is not an exact science. The base must be cured not just dry.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:50 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I’m interested and yes on the pics if you can get them working. And I’m the guy talking about “gatoring” on his orange truck above, BTW, which I’m guessing is “crazing”—-called it gator because the pattern was pretty geometrically similar to alligator skin in the reaction. Lol, kind of exactly like on my house and 2000 F-150.

In my painting example it was the other way around, Tamiya paint over Rustoleum, on the exterior. And that caused the pattern reaction. Ironically, it’s almost a perfectly scale weathering effect, but it wouldn’t be awesome on an entire truck. But I already said all this earlier, doh.

Are you happy with how it turned out, overall? I’m curious to see how it turned out. And if you thought it’s just a matter now of lexan being too shiny, there’s a thread up here yesterday with Durok posting a couple examples of matte exteriors that change that up pretty well.
Peace!
Old 12-15-2019, 06:17 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Pitbull adhesion promoter, I hear this let's you paint regilar spray paint on lexan. Haven't tried it myself yet.

Also lexan model paints have a finer nozzle for thinner more even coats. Probably worth the extra cost if you are picky.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:22 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Crazing, gatoring - probably same thing. Looks like tiny lightning bolts! I'm working on learning posting pic's.

Not done yet but I think I'll be happy when complete. The crazing I can see from the outside is very faint. It's going to get beat up anyway!

Saw the matte thread. Searched the heck out of using something cheaper as a base. Figured I might as well save where I can. Even had an unopened can of Tamiya black! Though something weird happened w/ the Rustoleum. This was a brand new can I had in stock. I was pretty much done, and on the last 'quick shot' it just stop spraying. No sputter or spitting like when a can gets near empty - just nothing. Tried another nozzel and still nothing. Never experience that before and I've used Rustoleum spray for a lot of other things. Oh - and it went on fine w/o crazing. But after drying for maybe five minutes it started crazing.

Anyway, ya, I thought 'how can I use this on something else'?! It is kinda cool!
Old 12-15-2019, 06:30 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

https://photos.google.com/search/_tr...OrmvB-KuxRDeUD

https://photos.google.com/search/_tr...nngT9Q8iwMWR_R

https://photos.google.com/search/_tr...Zcr3_TM9g6qyf7

Hmmm...
Old 12-15-2019, 07:00 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Bought a star! We got pic's!!!

In first pic the crazing isn't very noticeable.
Second pic, looking closer, you can see the crazing at base of windshield.
Third pic shows crazing low and forward of wheel well.

This even after backing with black Flex Seal which is relatively thick. I think what it did, since the crazing 'thinned' the white backing undercoat, darkened the orange vs not where crazed having a solid white backing and a second black backing. Make sense?

Not only for ease of adding pic's, the knowledge base here is superb - and friendly!!! Well worth the price
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2019, 03:53 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post

Hang up and Drive
mike is on the money here. That said, I have found that certain paints just do not get along, owing mainly to their respective chemical compositions I suppose. For instance, you shoot the body first with pc/lexan clear for your base. The you shoot a Krylon Red enamel for your color. Lastly, you decide to back it with a Lacquer based White because that’s what you have on hand. In this instance, everything is going to chip and flake if you so much as look at the body wrong.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Paint that stick on other paints??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
board with a paint stick Ohioskills Tires and Wheels 6 06-09-2014 07:36 PM
The paint did not stick! RickM Paint and Body 7 05-05-2010 09:35 AM
Dupli Color Paint Shop Paints BJoe Paint and Body 1 11-23-2009 10:21 AM
No stick paint jason yates Paint and Body 4 07-26-2009 07:37 PM
does walmart paint stick? cammok5 Paint and Body 8 05-22-2007 11:05 AM