Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Backer Color on Orange

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2020, 09:10 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Backer Color on Orange

My friend is doing a Ambush body for his SCX10 II. He wants an orange color as below (PS-7 is what he's got).
Would black, silver or white be the proper backer to back for a competition orange that pops??

My own go to is Indy Silver backer. Used that backer color for 15 years. Not sure if its right for a comp orange?
Thoughts? Thanks
Attached Images

Maxxamillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2020, 09:11 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Backer Color on Orange

White will make it the brightest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:04 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

White or yellow will make it brighter.
Silver is more of a blocker, or sparkle with translucent paints. Silver behind Candy Orange explodes!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Yes, I use silver behind my metallics for great pop. I paint with metallics & silver backer 99% of the time. But I have not done any non metallic with a different backer color, so no recommendation for my friend.
White is getting top choice so far on this non metallic color.
Maxxamillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:14 PM   #5
IPT
Quarry Creeper

White can sometimes make the color lighter by a large margin. I'd do some test panels. Have you used Createx before? They have some great sealers that can be used as a backer. You can custom mix a sealer color close to the top layer and that will keep the color true. As noted, candy colors backed with silver (or gold depending on what you're looking for) look sick. Even a candy over a pearl or metallic pops. Also Createx has what they call an "anodized" look that is essentially a candy or mixed with the Quick silver and backed with black. They make some amazing show quality colors that way. I drool when looking at some of them!
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:57 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I'd suggest you get some sheet, or even scrap lexan to test combos on. The yellow, orange, reds all tend to be translucent even after a few coats so you care going to get a different final product depending on your backing color.

A flat sheet of lexan can be cut up into a bunch of squares to make test chips. Way cheaper and less time consuming than any full body

Silver might show some sparkle in the end color - so bear that in mind.
SlidePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:26 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

No need to buy extra lexan, use the trimmings from your body, odd sizes and bends, writing on the top with a sharpie what you sprayed..
Shoot your orange, let cute, then strips of tape for different backer colors, you can see it all together, also different colors of backer can be used for effect.......

Hang up and Drive
Old 02-13-2020, 01:20 PM   #8
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
No need to buy extra lexan, use the trimmings from your body, odd sizes and bends, writing on the top with a sharpie what you sprayed..
Shoot your orange, let cute, then strips of tape for different backer colors, you can see it all together, also different colors of backer can be used for effect.......

Hang up and Drive
Yup, I do this all the time. Makes your own little color swatch set. Easy to do.

You can use scrap lexan, but a 8x10 sheet of it is like $3 at a big box hardware store and I think a little easier to deal with than scraps. Especially when your taping of sections. Where the scraps come in good is if you want to see how the color changes on a curved surface based on light reflection. This is really apparent with pearls and candies.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:04 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I just painted a body PS-7 with Silver backing, it is just a bit darker than I had hoped for. I would have used White but the hobby shop was out of that color,my green star has expired or I would post a picture. The only drawback IMO using white for a backer is it shows too much dirt, grime and stuff under the shell.
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:54 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
I just painted a body PS-7 with Silver backing, it is just a bit darker than I had hoped for. I would have used White but the hobby shop was out of that color,my green star has expired or I would post a picture. The only drawback IMO using white for a backer is it shows too much dirt, grime and stuff under the shell.

Shoot black or silver after the white, once the backer is on, you shouldn’t see any difference.
One interesting note I picked up from Chris(HemiStorm) is don’t look through your paint from underneath, only from above, as that’s what you normally see. Sounds stupid, but cuts paint waste if you are shooting masked designs

Hang up and Drive

Backer Color on Orange - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 Orange Defender - What paint to get that color? CTYankee Paint and Body 5 09-15-2019 01:27 PM
Backer for orange? skybolt Paint and Body 12 04-23-2019 04:44 AM
I want to have orange color side markers for my Hilux. liftmys10 Paint and Body 4 09-20-2012 11:10 AM
Spaztix Backer? BrianP Paint and Body 3 10-14-2011 06:07 PM
Painting question - black backer coat whanzich Paint and Body 8 09-20-2009 04:51 PM