Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Harvesting hand warmers for iron powder for rusted details.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2020, 09:19 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Harvesting hand warmers for iron powder for rusted details.

Anyone tried or heard of this? I've been contemplating weathering a body and have been browsing at the different weathering supplies. I was looking at some of the weathering powders and the iron paint and the thought struck me that hand warmers contain iron powder. Now I'm wondering if the iron powder could be collected and could be made useful for some rust detailing. I have some ideas on how to collect the iron. I'm thinking you could wrap magnet in an inside out plastic baggie. collect iron with the magnet through the baggie. Pull the baggie right side out and set magnet aside. Viola a baggie with some iron powder. Now the question is can the iron powder be made useful in creating rusty details in our RCs? I think I will have to do some experimentation this weekend. Looking for some ideas on how it could possibly be used. One thought is to rust the iron powder and apply directly as rust powder. Another is to apply to a bit of the iron powder to wet paint (like cake sprinkles on icing) and activate the rust with a mild salt/vinegar/hydrogen peroxide solution. Just spitballing here. I have a bunch of handwarmers at home so this will be a cheap experiment. If it works well might be a nice $1 alternative to the $12-30 iron paint or weathering powders.
DeoreDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2020, 07:41 PM   #2

Default Re: Harvesting hand warmers for iron powder for rusted details.

Good Idea, look forward to hear how it works. Ive found with weathering... it all does something. lol
tumalocrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Harvesting hand warmers for iron powder for rusted details. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hand painting details and interior? DukeMinnix Paint and Body 3 07-27-2019 06:04 AM
very cheap scx10.. rusted up m1009cucv Axial SCX-10 10 01-22-2013 09:26 PM
Rusted Ford F-150 caci623 Vendors Paint and Body 4 01-08-2012 07:50 AM
Are u shi!!#%& me paypal? Get ur hand hand outta my cookie jar!!! KNIFE Chit Chat 96 06-05-2010 06:42 PM
rusted paint look hotclown87 Paint and Body 5 01-12-2010 10:17 PM