Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Duratrax candy paints

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2020, 11:15 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Duratrax candy paints

I cant find much info on what to back their candy paint with. I'm looking at getting the duratrax candy purple and I see some base backing paint but doesnt specify wether that's for candy paint or not. Anyone familiar enough with the duratrax paints to help guide me? Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
TIREBUSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2020, 04:42 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Duratrax candy paints

Candys should be backed with gold, silver, or copper. This is the normal pop. You can base almost anything and get a unique result. Black metallic with candy root beer is wild!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:26 AM   #3

Just an FYI Spaz Stix also has candy paints.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:07 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Just an FYI Spaz Stix also has candy paints.
Ya I knew about them I used them on the last body I painted and loved it but I was just curious to try the duratrax paint but maybe that's dumb mayhe they're basically the same thing I dont know haha I'm leaning more back towards spaz right now anyways

Old 03-19-2020, 10:09 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Candys should be backed with gold, silver, or copper. This is the normal pop. You can base almost anything and get a unique result. Black metallic with candy root beer is wild!

Hang up and Drive
I've seen a few of the rootbeer bodies and the color definitely looks very nice! I didnt know about the copper. What effect does the copper have with the candy?

Old 03-19-2020, 11:55 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

All metallic bases reflect different, copper is darker than gold, which is darker than silver.

Hang up and Drive
Old 03-19-2020, 04:21 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I thought the Duratrax colors were originally the Pactra colors. I would stick with same brand and type of base and backer. Nothing worse than taking alot of time to create something nice and have it ruined by a reaction between different brands.

Here's a nice combo of Tamiya paints - Red backed with gun metal...
Attached Images

Last edited by 58_Willys; 03-19-2020 at 04:29 PM.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:00 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
All metallic bases reflect different, copper is darker than gold, which is darker than silver.

Hang up and Drive
Thanks that's what I figured but wasnt sure as I've never used any copper color before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58_Willys View Post
I thought the Duratrax colors were originally the Pactra colors. I would stick with same brand and type of base and backer. Nothing worse than taking alot of time to create something nice and have it ruined by a reaction between different brands.

Here's a nice combo of Tamiya paints - Red backed with gun metal...
Man now you got me thinking of going with a darker backing color!! That's a nice looking red! So say I want to use the spaz stix candy color again, do I have to back it with their "backing colors" or can I use one of their solid colors?

Old 03-19-2020, 06:35 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I’ve shot Spaz over Duplacolor. Most lacquer bases will work fine, if not sure, use plastic spoons shot with your colors to test.
You’re always wisest in using all the same paint from primer to clear.

Hang up and Drive
Old 03-20-2020, 02:44 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I just shot the Powerwagon Cab in Duratrax Candy Red. I wanted a deeper tone, so I backed it with Duratrax Gun Metal, then did a final backing with black.
Attached Images

mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
I just shot the Powerwagon Cab in Duratrax Candy Red. I wanted a deeper tone, so I backed it with Duratrax Gun Metal, then did a final backing with black.
Ohh that's awesome!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:16 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

OMG! mewalsh100... that is gorgeous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIREBUSTER View Post
Man now you got me thinking of going with a darker backing color!! That's a nice looking red! So say I want to use the spaz stix candy color again, do I have to back it with their "backing colors" or can I use one of their solid colors?

I believe they specify their backing colors for some of the special paints they have like the Prism and Chrome paints. For the candy or transparent colors, you can back them with whatever color you like, but metallic colors will give you the rich reflective colors similar to 1:1 cars.

Using an opaque color as a backer will usually have an odd color from what you might expect, for example, backing candy red with opaque blue will be purple, but it might come out lavender. I like to use the wheel opening cut outs as a test piece to adjust number of coats and backing colors. Cut them in 1/2 and double the quantity for more test pieces. I use a Sharpie to write what colors I used and how many coats of each then I can compare them side by side. If you write the brand, color, backer, and coats, like this...

Tam
Trans Purple x2
GunMtl x2

...you can compare easily and, as a bonus, if you want to match it again later on, to another body, you'll have the formula already laid out.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:04 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys! I was very pleased with the outcome.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:11 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
That red is awesome! Looks very nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58_Willys View Post
OMG! mewalsh100... that is gorgeous!

I believe they specify their backing colors for some of the special paints they have like the Prism and Chrome paints. For the candy or transparent colors, you can back them with whatever color you like, but metallic colors will give you the rich reflective colors similar to 1:1 cars.

Using an opaque color as a backer will usually have an odd color from what you might expect, for example, backing candy red with opaque blue will be purple, but it might come out lavender. I like to use the wheel opening cut outs as a test piece to adjust number of coats and backing colors. Cut them in 1/2 and double the quantity for more test pieces. I use a Sharpie to write what colors I used and how many coats of each then I can compare them side by side. If you write the brand, color, backer, and coats, like this...

Tam
Trans Purple x2
GunMtl x2

...you can compare easily and, as a bonus, if you want to match it again later on, to another body, you'll have the formula already laid out.
Thanks! That answers my question perfectly! Now just gotta decide what colors to go with. I think I'll order a few and play with them a bit. I never thought of using the cutouts as test pieces!

Old 03-21-2020, 09:00 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Like 58Willys mentioned, I always save my scrap lexan trimmings for color tests, emergency crack repairs, etc. More recently, I had a large enough piece to do a windshield for the tan, TF2 hardbody cab I run on the truggy. (Cracked the OE plastic one beyond repair)

I dug in to the dedicated box I keep for scrap lexan the other day, and it made me realize I might have a problem! There had to be 15 bodies worth of lexan scraps in it!
Old 03-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I need to snap a pic in the sun but I sprayed an old hpi Nissan silvia s15 with transparent blue? Then metallic pink? Then backed with silver orrr... Geez it was like 14 years ago but I do remember spraying lame flake first. All tamyia paint and it turned out amazing.
I will try to dust it off and snap pics later.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:14 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
I need to snap a pic in the sun but I sprayed an old hpi Nissan silvia s15 with transparent blue? Then metallic pink? Then backed with silver orrr... Geez it was like 14 years ago but I do remember spraying lame flake first. All tamyia paint and it turned out amazing.

I'd like to see that one Shinchu! When I did the '73 Bronco, I laid down a heavy coat of what I thought was clear pearl. Stupid me didn't look at the can, and it had no cap. Turned out it was Pearl GREEN. Well, since I was already committed, I just backed it up with black and it turned out to be such a cool, appropriate color for that rig. Happy accident overall!
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2020, 02:16 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Like 58Willys mentioned, I always save my scrap lexan trimmings for color tests, emergency crack repairs, etc. More recently, I had a large enough piece to do a windshield for the tan, TF2 hardbody cab I run on the truggy. (Cracked the OE plastic one beyond repair)

I dug in to the dedicated box I keep for scrap lexan the other day, and it made me realize I might have a problem! There had to be 15 bodies worth of lexan scraps in it!
Geez haha well I'm definitely gonna start keeping the scraps for testing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
Definitely get a pic if you can I'd love to see that!
Quote:
I'd like to see that one Shinchu! When I did the '73 Bronco, I laid down a heavy coat of what I thought was clear pearl. Stupid me didn't look at the can, and it had no cap. Turned out it was Pearl GREEN. Well, since I was already committed, I just backed it up with black and it turned out to be such a cool, appropriate color for that rig. Happy accident overall!
Dude that's an awesome green! I've almost done the same thing with the paints before but caught myself haha. I've got about 4 or 5 different candy paints ordered. Now I just need to get a few colors for backing them to play around with.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:55 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

One biggie to remember if you’ve never shot candy’s before.
It’s called “tiger striping “ it’s caused by uneven application of the color. Candy’s requires more overlap than solids, also criss cross and paint 90 degrees apart each successive coat. Also the more candy goes on the color deepens, so counting coats can be important so each side gets the same color. Don’t be scared, but think before and during shooting , keep it moving , and even!

Hang up and Drive
Old 03-21-2020, 07:52 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
One biggie to remember if you’ve never shot candy’s before.
It’s called “tiger striping “ it’s caused by uneven application of the color. Candy’s requires more overlap than solids, also criss cross and paint 90 degrees apart each successive coat. Also the more candy goes on the color deepens, so counting coats can be important so each side gets the same color. Don’t be scared, but think before and during shooting , keep it moving , and even!

Hang up and Drive
Thanks! I did not think of that. I have only painted candy once and I thought it turned out really nice but I also didnt look very close for any of that either. I've never been real serious on the painting side of things and have always just kind of sprayed and done but I'm starting to want to take my time now and make it look really nice. Definitely very good advice for me. This is the only candy I've ever done.

Duratrax candy paints - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Testor paints? bigred22 Paint and Body 5 02-22-2013 07:53 PM
What paints do you all use ? RPP Hobby Paint and Body 36 12-22-2007 09:28 AM
Auto Paints drumbeater Chit Chat 1 09-18-2006 11:07 PM