RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Paint and Body (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/paint-body/)
-   -   Do polycarbonate body shells become brittle or turn yellow with age? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/paint-body/621513-do-polycarbonate-body-shells-become-brittle-turn-yellow-age.html)

NeoPyro 10-15-2020 07:45 PM

Do polycarbonate body shells become brittle or turn yellow with age?

Hey guys,

I wanna start off by apologizing if this is in the wrong section. I wasn't sure if I should post this here or perhaps in the "Newbie General" section? Anyway, I've been in the RC hobby on and off for the past 15 years or so. One question I've always had lingering in the back of my mind was if polycarbonate aka Lexan or Makrolon became brittle or turned yellow with age like some other plastics?

mikemcE 10-15-2020 07:54 PM

Re: Do polycarbonate body shells become brittle or turn yellow with age?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoPyro (Post 6048847)
Hey guys,

I wanna start off by apologizing if this is in the wrong section. I wasn't sure if I should post this here or perhaps in the "Newbie General" section? Anyway, I've been in the RC hobby on and off for the past 15 years or so. One question I've always had lingering in the back of my mind was if polycarbonate aka Lexan or Makrolon became brittle or turned yellow with age like some other plastics?

Yellow no, and the windshields are still clear. My older shells usually get replaced so I’ve never had any get brittle, even storing them in a hot environment here.nothing older than four years old

Hang up and Drive

Gula 10-15-2020 07:55 PM

Haven't experienced that wirh new bodies. Back in the 90s i had that happen a few times. (Cracking) never yellow'ed

ScaleLifeNewbie 10-15-2020 08:40 PM

Just like everyone else, no I haven’t had any problems. Only time was when I just barely cut into a corner, and it ended up cracking and even breaking apart deeper into the body, but like I said it was my fault.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kingmeow 10-16-2020 08:15 AM

I still have bodies in my basement that are 20+ years old (RC10GT and Inferno MP-5). They are painted and stored in a cool dry place (my basement is dry). No yellowing or cracking that I can see.

4wd4ws 10-16-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoPyro (Post 6048847)
One question I've always had lingering in the back of my mind was if polycarbonate aka Lexan or Makrolon became brittle or turned yellow with age like some other plastics?

Eventually but it will take many years of exposure to sunlight.
UV is our biggest enemy. Store them in a dark and cool place and they will last for decades. "thumbsup"

HugoBiermann 10-17-2020 01:20 AM

I’ve got a OG Tamiya Hornet - 1987. Crystal clear still, but brittle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smog 10-17-2020 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoBiermann (Post 6048987)
I’ve got a OG Tamiya Hornet - 1987. Crystal clear still, but brittle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. I still have an OG Tamiya Frog and Wild One I built as a kid back in the 80’s. The old PS paint has definitely seen better days, the polycarbonate is definitely more fragile. That said, the quality of these bodies has likely improved since.

The hard plastic parts on the OG buggies are dramatically more fragile than they were back in the day.

No yellowing has occured

Shinchu 10-18-2020 10:03 AM

I have a Yokomo s14 silvia body still in package not painted yet. Bought it back in 2008 amd its still clear and flexible. Been keeping it in a big green rubbermaid bin.
Seems ok to me but I wont know fore sure until I get a RWD drift chassis amd actually attempt to paint and mount it.