Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Painting Shapeways Versatile Plastic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2020, 11:20 PM   #1

Default Painting Shapeways Versatile Plastic

I am about to airbrush my body and I want to paint my 3d printed knights custom hood to match the body color.

Looking for any suggestions on what primer and clear coat to use for airbrushing pro-line RC body paint onto Shapeways Versatile Plastic aka Strong and Flexible material.

Any info is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2020, 12:17 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Painting Shapeways Versatile Plastic

I’ve always used Duplacolor primer filler, from car parts store. I’ve even airbrushed HOK on it and cleared also

Lacquer base drys smooth and hard sand quickly. Will accept all PS and TS paints I’ve used

Biggest issue is the proline paints are WB , don’t adhere well unless sealed with PS55 semi flat clear
Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 10-31-2020 at 12:19 AM.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:47 PM   #3

Default Re: Painting Shapeways Versatile Plastic

Thats exactly what I needed... I will apply thin coats of Dupli-Color Primer Filler, sand and repeat.

I had picked the ProLine paint because it will adhere well to the Lexan. I need to read some more threads about painting lexan with other products so that I can match it all with the same paint.

Thanks for the info!
Old 11-01-2020, 06:18 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey View Post
I am about to airbrush my body and I want to paint my 3d printed knights custom hood to match the body color.
Question is : Is it printed in PLA ? Then you wont have trouble to paint it
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Question is : Is it printed in PLA ? Then you wont have trouble to paint it
Shapeways discontinued offering "PLA" (source) and now offers Nylon-12 / Verastile Plastic / "Strong & Flexible" as its replacement which is the material that my parts were made with..

https://www.shapeways.com/materials/versatile-plastic

I just wish they went into more detail about finishes they would recommend for this product.

I will be running over to O'Reillys today and pick up Dupli-Color Gray Spray Filler Primer DPP104.

I've done much reading while I waited for the trick-or-treaters last night - many of mikemcE's posts - and have narrowed down my overall airbrush paint choices to HOK *w/ Adherto for adhesion to lexan* or Parma/FASKOLOR; and then a clear for protection
Old 11-01-2020, 07:59 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Shapeways discontinued offering "PLA" (source) and now offers Nylon-12 / Verastile Plastic / "Strong & Flexible" as its replacement which is the material that my parts were made with..

https://www.shapeways.com/materials/versatile-plastic

I just wish they went into more detail about finishes they would recommend for this product.

I will be running over to O'Reillys today and pick up Dupli-Color Gray Spray Filler Primer DPP104.

I've done much reading while I waited for the trick-or-treaters last night - many of mikemcE's posts - and have narrowed down my overall airbrush paint choices to HOK *w/ Adherto for adhesion to lexan* or Parma/FASKOLOR; and then a clear for protection

I’m a huge Parma fan, many bodies shot with it and I love it’s application.
That said Parma has virtually disappeared from sight, last source was Parma direct, but shipping costs were outrageous, so I stopped shooting it.
Adherto works well, BUT you have to buy a quart(lifetime supply) and it’s $50.00
So after all that, I shoot more Tamiya PS than anything else.

Odd thing is all the WB paints seem to be made by createx. Auto Air , ProLine, Wicked Colors.

Hang up and Drive
Old 11-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
I’m a huge Parma fan, many bodies shot with it and I love it’s application.
That said Parma has virtually disappeared from sight, last source was Parma direct, but shipping costs were outrageous, so I stopped shooting it.
Adherto works well, BUT you have to buy a quart(lifetime supply) and it’s $50.00
So after all that, I shoot more Tamiya PS than anything else.

Odd thing is all the WB paints seem to be made by createx. Auto Air , ProLine, Wicked Colors.

Hang up and Drive

I made an assumption that the FASKOLOR paints were readily available but if that’s the case then I may need to look at other options such as Tamiya PS - although they don’t have my first choice of color; forgive my ignorance, but are you using their PS paint from the spray cans? I must admit I never tried removing paint from an aerosol can before.. I have some cans so I may need to go out and experiment.

I was able to find adherto in smaller quantities (4 oz) on TCP global and have considered using HOK simply because of the amazing colors available.

https://tcpglobal.com/products/hok_ap01-4z

Old 11-01-2020, 09:51 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I made an assumption that the FASKOLOR paints were readily available but if that’s the case then I may need to look at other options such as Tamiya PS - although they don’t have my first choice of color; forgive my ignorance, but are you using their PS paint from the spray cans? I must admit I never tried removing paint from an aerosol can before.. I have some cans so I may need to go out and experiment.

I was able to find adherto in smaller quantities (4 oz) on TCP global and have considered using HOK simply because of the amazing colors available.

https://tcpglobal.com/products/hok_ap01-4z

Yep rattlecan Tamiya.
I would stay with the HOK, for ease of application. 15-20 psi with an airbrush, lays perfect, and as you said sweet colors. All the WB paints need higher pressure , but mix easier for custom colors.

Hang up and Drive

Painting Shapeways Versatile Plastic - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Painting plastic non lexan, new bright 4 Dr jeep geauxktm, Paint and Body 15 10-10-2017 08:25 AM
Painting stock plastic chassis/cages? DukeMinnix Paint and Body 7 09-29-2017 08:36 PM
Need advice painting hard plastic body - Subaru Brat shahram72 Paint and Body 1 06-08-2014 07:38 PM
Painting plastic bodies - H2 by Newbright sgtsteve Paint and Body 29 08-11-2013 11:44 AM
Painting on plastic revoster Newbie General 6 07-20-2006 03:22 PM