Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Deep red colour.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2020, 03:40 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Deep red colour.

Hi all, hope everyone is well and had a good Christmas.
I've ordered myself a VS4-10, I am trying to decide on colour and saw a 1:1 with a pretty deep/rich red finish.
I've been looking around Tamiya and Fastrax paints (my most readily available brands)
And just wondering what you guys use to achieve a deep colour.
Am I best going for a deeper red and backing with a lighter colour, or go with a bright red and back with black?
Or maybe metallic red, backed with silver then black?
Can anyone give me some ideas, perhaps even some example pictures of how yours came out would be excellent!
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2020, 04:26 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Deep red colour.

Find the darkest red you can, back it with black for the darkest variant.
PS 60 Mica red is deep, the other is metallic red PS 15, a couple of mist coats and then the black will get you there. Silver acts more as a blocker rather than backer. If you’re shooting transparent red, yes Silver after the red, to back the flake, then your backer color black or white depending on what you want

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 12-25-2020 at 04:33 PM.
mikemcE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 04:53 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Deep red colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Find the darkest red you can, back it with black for the darkest variant.
PS 60 Mica red is deep, the other is metallic red PS 15, a couple of mist coats and then the black will get you there. Silver acts more as a blocker rather than backer. If you’re shooting transparent red, yes Silver after the red, to back the flake, then your backer color black or white depending on what you want

Hang up and Drive
I'm not trying to get the darkest red possible, but a vibrant/deep/rich.
Kinda like deep metallic.
I think the PS-15 is going to be the one, not sure if best to back with black, silver or white though.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:52 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Default Deep red colour.

The difference between metallic and mica is the size of the reflective pieces in the base color. Micas reflect more like pearls, a shimmer effect vs sparkle

As far as backing white will pop, use a test scrap of lexan with all three backers, see which you want.

I’ve shot a lot of that Mica Red on styrene. I’ll see if I’ve got those on the pc

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 12-25-2020 at 07:06 PM.
mikemcE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 11:43 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
The difference between metallic and mica is the size of the reflective pieces in the base color. Micas reflect more like pearls, a shimmer effect vs sparkle

As far as backing white will pop, use a test scrap of lexan with all three backers, see which you want.

I’ve shot a lot of that Mica Red on styrene. I’ll see if I’ve got those on the pc

Hang up and Drive
Yep I've got some scrap lexan to try it on, so I will definitely give that a try, always good to go into a paint job roughly knowing how it's going to go down though.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:30 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I know I’m late on this, but if you don’t mind........

One of my favorite combos is a stack of Candy Red, Pearl White, then Metallic Black, sprayed in that order.

As an example.......
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:29 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Take BJoe's idea of layers of Candy(Translucent) Red(PS-37) and back with a couple coats of Bright Silver(PS-41). The deepness of the red will depend on the number of coats applied before the silver. Then you can back it with the Black(PS-5) to hide the silver under the body.

When I do the layering technique, I like to test it on scraps first and write on the "chips" with a Sharpie, how many layers of the primary color I used and what backing colors I used. It's a good idea also, to use the actual paint code numbers on them. There may be a lot of similar colors, for example, Tamiya has 3 different silver paints plus the grays. The paint codes can be helpful, especially if you want to replicate the one you really like, later on down the road. Hope this helps...
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote

Deep red colour. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Colour deuter Traxxas TRX-4 10 07-27-2020 04:26 PM
How do I paint my car to get this red colour? robo555 Paint and Body 3 07-10-2014 04:14 AM
What colour is this gtione Paint and Body 13 03-26-2013 04:47 PM
Which wheel? HPI deep or not deep? scho0643 Tires and Wheels 8 04-23-2006 12:42 PM