Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Newb to painting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2022, 06:29 AM   #1

Default Newb to painting

I'm going to be painting my first body and I want to cut out the hood so I can hinge it to have access to the front mounted battery.

Would I be better off to paint it and then cut it out or cut it out ahead of time and paint the pieces separately?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
dave1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2022, 06:38 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Newb to painting

I'd cut out the hood first...but, I might suggest having two bodies. To get everything cut as perfectly as possible, you're going to need to 'destroy' a lot of material on both sides of the "cut line". I can't tell you how to go about doing it...but, I can tell you, of I was the one doing it, I would definitely be using two bodies. And, as for "cutting" the bodies, of probably (VERY carefully) use a Dremel.

Best of luck...and, looking forward to seeing the finished look.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 08:14 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

If you're using a single body to do it, I'd recommend X-acto/scalpel and go really slowly. Anything that cuts with abrasive is gonna leave a BIG gap.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 08:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
I'd cut out the hood first...but, I might suggest having two bodies. To get everything cut as perfectly as possible, you're going to need to 'destroy' a lot of material on both sides of the "cut line". I can't tell you how to go about doing it...but, I can tell you, of I was the one doing it, I would definitely be using two bodies. And, as for "cutting" the bodies, of probably (VERY carefully) use a Dremel.

Best of luck...and, looking forward to seeing the finished look.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
I wish a second body was an option but this is a discontinued Pro-Line Bronco body for a Wraith and I can't seem to find another one. I wanted a second just for options. I appreciate the info.

Old 03-25-2022, 08:20 AM   #5
Go Buckeyes!

I would cut then paint. I would use the score-and-snap method with an X-Acto knife. Following the hood line on the body, gently score the lexan a few times, then gently fold the lexan on the score line and it will "snap" leaving a nice clean line.

This method is sometimes easier than cutting with lexan scissors. Go slow, take your time and good luck!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 08:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
If you're using a single body to do it, I'd recommend X-acto/scalpel and go really slowly. Anything that cuts with abrasive is gonna leave a BIG gap.
I was thinking that a Dremel disc would leave a larger than necessary gap but would certainly be quicker.

Old 03-25-2022, 08:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I would cut then paint. I would use the score-and-snap method with an X-Acto knife. Following the hood line on the body, gently score the lexan a few times, then gently fold the lexan on the score line and it will "snap" leaving a nice clean line.

This method is sometimes easier than cutting with lexan scissors. Go slow, take your time and good luck!
That and scissors is how I cut out the rest of the body but I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to flex or bend the body enough along the the hood/fender line to get it to break. But I think the X-Acto knife is going to be my cleanest option. Just may have to score it more. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-25-2022, 08:28 AM   #8
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1320 View Post
That and scissors is how I cut out the rest of the body but I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to flex or bend the body enough along the the hood/fender line to get it to break. But I think the X-Acto knife is going to be my cleanest option. Just may have to score it more. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, may need to score a few times more. It should snap pretty easy though and not take too much bending.

Cutting wheels would leave too big of a gap. That's why I like the score and snap method.

Your welcome!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Newb to painting - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
newb here well sorta newb!!!! tpurdin Axial SCX-10 5 11-04-2012 10:18 AM
not a newb but have a question of newb stature Brandon88 Electronics 11 04-14-2010 08:53 PM
Newb question to beat all newb questions vinster888 Newbie General 3 12-29-2009 07:24 PM
im a newb to painting axial goats Paint and Body 5 09-16-2009 10:19 PM
Painting Basics - Painting Tips and Tricks stampedeproject Paint and Body 0 03-09-2008 10:39 PM