Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Paint test | Flat Clear before main color | Metallic flake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2022, 12:43 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Lightbulb Paint test | Flat Clear before main color | Metallic flake

A question from a friend prompted me to do a paint test using flat Clear on the inside of lexan before the main color. I tested a metallic silver and cobalt green with half using the flat clear as the first coat and the other half without.

I was a bit surprised that when I used a metallic silver after the flat clear it brought out the metal flake even more. It seemed to have no real effect on the colored main coat though.

Seems like this could be a nice way to get more flake in some paintjobs.

The main goal of this test was to prove that a flat clear on the inside will not look flat from the outside which it doesn't.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 06-22-2022 at 12:51 AM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2022, 06:13 AM   #2
Go Buckeyes!

Default Re: Paint test | Flat Clear before main color | Metallic flake

Thanks for doing this test. I've often wondered (and have yet to try it) how flat clear would look as a base layer.

I really like how the metallic flake pops!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
A question from a friend prompted me to do a paint test using flat Clear on the inside of lexan before the main color. I tested a metallic silver and cobalt green with half using the flat clear as the first coat and the other half without.

I was a bit surprised that when I used a metallic silver after the flat clear it brought out the metal flake even more. It seemed to have no real effect on the colored main coat though.

The main goal of this test was to prove that a flat clear on the inside will not look flat from the outside which it doesn't.
Hey I’m that guy! Well not “imthatguy” but you all get the idea I’m sure I’ve also tried this with PS-55 for my first layer and TS-28 with similar promising results,I think this may be my new process for painting if it works well with auto-body paints.
TheScaleSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:31 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Thanks for doing this test. I've often wondered (and have yet to try it) how flat clear would look as a base layer.

I really like how the metallic flake pops!
No problem, I was just as curious as that guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScaleSnail View Post
Hey I’m that guy! Well not “imthatguy” but you all get the idea I’m sure I’ve also tried this with PS-55 for my first layer and TS-28 with similar promising results,I think this may be my new process for painting if it works well with auto-body paints.
Hey theres that guy well not that guy

Thanks for the idea for this test I didnt think I'd discorver this.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:08 AM   #5
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScaleSnail View Post
I’ve also tried this with PS-55 for my first layer and TS-28 with similar promising results
That's good to know. I've been wanting to try the TS paints because of the wider range of colors to choose from.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 02:19 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I use the ps flat clear as a base, then use watever brand of paint tickles my fancy. The reason i do it is that the ps sticks to the lexan better than lets say rustoleum. So the clear just gives the rustoleum something to cling onto. I done that with my basher bodies when i got into rc in 2017, just carried it over to the crawler side.

This is with ps flat clear first, then rustoleum colorshift, backed with rustoleum dark grey.

The flat clear really does make the flake pop

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 02:52 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Sightly off topic but wouldn't flat clear on the outside of the Lexan dull the shine as your friend expects from the interior clear? I haven't tried it myself as I prefer hard bodies. I don't remember the last time I painted a Lexan body.

That being said, I really like what the interior flat clear does to the metal flake effect. I've got some Champagne Gold Metallic for a retro rally paint job I wanted to do. I think it'd look great with the extra pop given by the clear.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:48 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc-93 View Post
Sightly off topic but wouldn't flat clear on the outside of the Lexan dull the shine as your friend expects from the interior clear? I haven't tried it myself as I prefer hard bodies. I don't remember the last time I painted a Lexan body.

I could have worded that better. I meant that the flat clear would be painted on the inside of the lexan body and when viewed from the outside its glossy because of the clear lexan. Flat when used on the outside is dull/flat for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
I use the ps flat clear as a base, then use watever brand of paint tickles my fancy. The reason i do it is that the ps sticks to the lexan better than lets say rustoleum. So the clear just gives the rustoleum something to cling onto. I done that with my basher bodies when i got into rc in 2017, just carried it over to the crawler side.

This is with ps flat clear first, then rustoleum colorshift, backed with rustoleum dark grey.

The flat clear really does make the flake pop
Yeah I forgot to mention the other reason was to use a non lexan specific paint afterwards. That cliffhanger body looks great!

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 06-23-2022 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:00 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Informative comparison.

I was pretty surprised when I would buy PS and TS paints from my LHS and they would make sure I knew what I was buying, which then I'd tell them the trick.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 01:06 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I could have worded that better. I meant that the flat clear would be painted on the inside of the lexan body and when viewed from the outside its glossy because of the clear lexan. Flat when used on the outside is dull/flat for sure.

Yeah I forgot to mention the other reason was to use a non lexan specific paint afterwards. That cliffhanger body looks great!
Quote:
I understood what you were saying. I was just curious if applying the clear to the outside could effectively dull the Lexan shine.

If I'm still understanding you correctly, I could apply flat clear to the interior, first layer, to enhance a flake effect (as well as help non Lexan paint to stick as Indybama said) then apply it to the exterior to dull the Lexan and create a faded look right?

Old 06-24-2022, 12:54 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Yeah flat clear is just like it says on the tin, flat when sprayed on the exterior. I dont think I have any pictures handy but maybe someone else does?
Old 06-24-2022, 01:49 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yeah flat clear is just like it says on the tin, flat when sprayed on the exterior. I dont think I have any pictures handy but maybe someone else does?
Not the greatest example, but factory silver TRX-4 Defender sprayed white on the roof, and then flat Tamiya PS clear over everything with the windows masked - I MUCH prefer my vehicles sprayed in matte clear, just looks more realistic & less toy-like:
Attached Images

durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:34 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Not the greatest example, but factory silver TRX-4 Defender sprayed white on the roof, and then flat Tamiya PS clear over everything with the windows masked - I MUCH prefer my vehicles sprayed in matte clear, just looks more realistic & less toy-like:
I could live with the factory paint but it definitely looks better with the shine cut down a bit.

If the weather holds out this weekend I might have to get outside and huff some paint to see what I can come up with.

Old 06-25-2022, 03:42 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Somebody say flat clear?

My Toyota in flat red.
Untitled by JASON MCKIMMEY, on Flickr

Raptor body with flat clear used on trim

Flat clear custom painted K5 to look like my 1:1 truck, rust and all...

Proline Ambush body with "primer black hood"

Interior in flat clear to make it more realistic.

Last edited by JDM74; 06-25-2022 at 03:48 AM.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:49 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Thank u humbolt! Im very happy with the reults of this one.

Theres alot of good lookin rigs poppin up in this thread.
Old 10-22-2022, 05:04 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler.boy View Post
WOW

Love that body. Is it Proline Cliffhanger Body ?

Love also the wheels.
Are the rims Boomracing superbuild ?
These BF G are the best looking tyre ever made.
Great paint job
Yes sir, it is the cliffhanger. The purple wheels are the probuilds, they actually went on my gshot rig. Bfg are ok, i prefer the hyrax in g8.

Thanks, i like how it turned out. That truck is the vanquish phoenix on a gspeed v3 blue cf chassis. A few months ago, it took a tumble off a 60 ft cliff... n survived! Matter of fact, i ran it 2 weekends ago at the same place it went off the cliff

Paint test | Flat Clear before main color | Metallic flake - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What would be the best paint color to duplicate the Gen8 Scout blue body color??? riz Paint and Body 4 02-28-2021 08:06 AM
Pactra Lime Ice paint Metallic paint jeepgod Paint and Body 7 03-24-2018 01:58 PM
Backing color for metallic blue? Jeep757 Paint and Body 4 01-23-2018 10:34 AM
KIngGee's New METALLIC FLAKE Hardline, and XCiter Krawler Konceptz Paint and Body 10 10-27-2012 06:49 PM
metallic grey paint punkuup5150 Paint and Body 11 12-19-2009 02:39 PM