Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: New Bright 1:6 Raptor Body

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2022, 06:37 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default New Bright 1:6 Raptor Body

Has anybody tried bonding styrene to this body? It’s a very weird flexible plastic that MEK doesn’t bond to. If you have any experience and don’t mind sharing let me know. I’m hoping to find something that will bond rather than just glue styrene onto the surface.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2022, 08:02 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New Bright 1:6 Raptor Body

These bodies are made of a polyethylene (PE) material, similar to the plastics in Tupperware. You need to research which glues are designed specifically for PE. Super glue will not work, because it needs to be more flexible. As for, combining styrene to these...not sure if that will even work at all.

I think the original Raptor bodies were more like plastic model bodies. I have the same body you have but in black. I was going to try to build a Raptor Blazer until I found out it was not the plastic I wanted. Hope that helps.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:14 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58_Willys View Post
These bodies are made of a polyethylene (PE) material, similar to the plastics in Tupperware. You need to research which glues are designed specifically for PE. Super glue will not work, because it needs to be more flexible. As for, combining styrene to these...not sure if that will even work at all.

I think the original Raptor bodies were more like plastic model bodies. I have the same body you have but in black. I was going to try to build a Raptor Blazer until I found out it was not the plastic I wanted. Hope that helps.

Thank you for the response. Knowing the type of plastic is a big help. That definitely sucks that styrene won’t be a good bond. I wonder if I could find a sheet or two of polyethylene and use that instead of styrene. Or do you think using a electric plastic welder would be better? Would you happen to know if it’s High Density Polyethylene or something else?
Old 12-07-2022, 09:10 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

i used the ic2000 and shaved extra plasic peices in to it and went about 1/4 on each side of the joint
its held for a good 5 years now on multiple bodys

also shogoo might work too i used it to reinforce the fender edges and its strong
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:12 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

the red bodys are styreene
Old 12-07-2022, 09:24 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
i used the ic2000 and shaved extra plasic peices in to it and went about 1/4 on each side of the joint
its held for a good 5 years now on multiple bodys

also shogoo might work too i used it to reinforce the fender edges and its strong

I tried that exact glue and it was the strongest but not what I need. It’s a structural joint. I did not try plastic shavings though.
Quote:
the red bodys are styreene

This one? https://www.ebay.com/itm/22487944994...mis&media=COPY
Old 12-07-2022, 09:31 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Build # I've lost track Cant afford a UDR, so i built a 1/6 NBRBR

Is my build thread. In it, OSRC mentioned his is made of a hard plastic. I think I may have already mentioned that E6000 and shoogoo, and hot glue were the only things that stuck to my blue one. I'll have a look at the other 3 I have.

Last edited by Gula; 12-07-2022 at 09:33 PM.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:41 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
Build # I've lost track Cant afford a UDR, so i built a 1/6 NBRBR

Is my build thread. In it, OSRC mentioned his is made of a hard plastic. I think I may have already mentioned that E6000 and shoogoo, and hot glue were the only things that stuck to my blue one. I'll have a look at the other 3 I have.

Thanks again Gula. If you could let me know if all of yours are flexible like the blue one.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 12-07-2022 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-08-2022, 05:26 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Try a search in the Large Scale section for New Bright Raptor. I know I've seen a build in there with the proper hard plastic body.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:05 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

i used the ic2000 to glue the fender flaires back on after i reshaped the wheel arch and its the first part to take a hit on the rocks and it has held up great
sand the plastic down pretty good first so it can get a bite

also ive had good luck using small peices of plastic to bridge the seem and useing shoegoo auto and clamping the seem and just using small peices and going one peice at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
ya that looks like it way to much though thats crazzy
i think the blue plastic holds up alot better on the trail but might be alot harder to do what your trying to do with it

Last edited by ferp420; 12-08-2022 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:47 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

heres a few links
the cab only body i had to rebuild the cab after the bed broke off not alot of the body though
the anti-traxxass trx4 build

heres the yeti baja 1000r tribute truck lol and since the cab only body came off this truck there a little bit of ut pictured in this thread too
yeti based raptor build

heres the blue body the front half of the fenders are glued using ic2000 and plastic shavings also the start of the lowrider drift truck lol
another scx6 ram newbright build

and one more link to another styreen truck for the hell of it just because lol and its kinda the same theme as what your building lol
scx6 another f150 new bright build

her are some pics of the joints on the inside there ugly but there holding the blue one has been like that for years

Last edited by ferp420; 12-08-2022 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-14-2022, 09:12 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Ferp, is your body brittle? I just got a grey styrene one in the mail and it basically fell apart on me.

I’m probably done with this whole fiasco for now unless I can find a styrene one for not much more than $100, it’s too much money to be blowing on bodies that fall apart.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 12-14-2022 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-15-2022, 12:12 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Ouch, and that's shifty. I've noticed in a few NB bodies, that silver painted ones are brittle. The Porsche and Jeep TJ ? I have are. Although I also had a black avalanche and it literally shattered when removed from "chassis". Could have been left out in the sun/freezing cold too. Sucks, and my condolences.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 06:22 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Wow - I'd send that back to the shipper.. Wondering if the cold weather made it brittle somehow.

Mine is not, it's handled quite a few rollovers and the chassis isn't exactly light.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 06:47 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Ferp, is your body brittle? I just got a grey styrene one in the mail and it basically fell apart on me.

I’m probably done with this whole fiasco for now unless I can find a styrene one for not much more than $100, it’s too much money to be blowing on bodies that fall apart.
i had a gray 1/8 mustang body do that too me but my raptors have been pretty tough the f150 is a tank

however one of the raptor bodys cracked at the body seams thats why one dozent have a bed on it lol

i used 1mm styreen and sho goo auto formula to back the seems and its holding so far its also had a few other cracks here and there but its taken alot of abuse like flying 20ft off the top of 1 rock and landing square on another rock type of leaps

i wouldent give up on those the gray one should glue back together pretty good use jb weld as body filler and back it with this styreen and somekind a flexible glue e6000/shoogoo or something like those

dont give up yet you ztill have 2 nice bodys to work with you just need more glue than you thought lol

the shogoo i had to let sit with clamps holding it tight for about 24 hours till the glue was cured

heres some footage of my yeti raptor being heavaly abused
https://youtu.be/l75SLnOEn5k
https://rumble.com/vdfyzl-rc-raptor-1000r.html
https://youtu.be/l75SLnOEn5k

some footage of the trail raptor after the body broke from to much bashin

https://rumble.com/v19n0bb-testing-t...r-install.html

for the hay of it heres a big tumble with the f150 not a raptor just a styreen new bright

https://youtu.be/X2_lJCYHTFs

Last edited by ferp420; 12-15-2022 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-15-2022, 08:44 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

i wouldent give up on those the gray one should glue back together pretty good use jb weld as body filler and back it with this styreen and somekind a flexible glue e6000/shoogoo or something like those. dont give up yet you ztill have 2 nice bodys to work with you just need more glue than you thought lol
]

I think this one is just too fragile to try and work with really. Even the roof and front clip is just falling apart and I’m not even trying. I’m still going to mess with the blue one just not feeling it right now. I just need a good base to start off with that I can build off of and this ain’t it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Wow - I'd send that back to the shipper.. Wondering if the cold weather made it brittle somehow.

Mine is not, it's handled quite a few rollovers and the chassis isn't exactly light.

I don’t know, it came from Cali.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 01-01-2023 at 09:32 PM.