RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Paint and Body (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/paint-body/)
-   -   Oven Cleaner won't work (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/paint-body/68417-oven-cleaner-wont-work.html)

Racefan1115 04-15-2007 01:20 PM

Oven Cleaner won't work

I'm trying to strip a clod body so i can do some modifications on it and the oven cleaner isn't working. I put the body in a garbage bag and sprayed it and sealed it for about 45 minutes, and the paint didn't even loosen up.:x It was some stuff my parents had its the Top Crest brand, not the easy off. When i sprayed it, it did sort of have a citrus smell, so maybe its equivilant to the easy-off in the green can?

Is it the cleaner or the paint? should I go to the store and get some actual easy-off brand?

Thorsteenster 04-15-2007 01:31 PM

yeah, get the easy off yellow can, and its going to take more than 45 minutes, way more. maybe a day or two, i'm reading up now myself on how to strip paint.

Racefan1115 04-15-2007 01:45 PM

Yeah, i figured I would need easy off. I knew it would take more than 45 minutes, but i tried scraping it with a gasket scraper and it did nothing at all.

Kev808 04-15-2007 01:46 PM

Try Brake fluid

hvydty1 04-15-2007 02:09 PM

Brake fluid will work, just not quickly. Especially if it has a lot of coats of paint. I tried brake fluid on a Juggernaugt 2 body and it lifted the paint in about a week. But it had close to 5 different colors of paint. I also felt that it made the plastic a little brittle after removing it and letting it dry. Just my opinion. It did work, but it takes awhile.

Racefan1115 04-15-2007 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev808 (Post 671999)
Try Brake fluid

You mean brake cleaner, and that has a tendency to eat plastic.

Kev808 04-15-2007 02:31 PM

If you want something fast, Then see you can get ahold of a product called Bulldog Flexible Parts Stripper made by KleanStrip Automotive/Aircraft remover(sometimes they have it at Wal-Mart in the auto dept. or at your local auto parts store) We use it alot at work (Autobody industry).
It is very strong, so I recommend using protection; gloves, goggles, respirator.

Jamus 04-15-2007 03:04 PM

I've tried brake fluid and an off brand overn cleaner and neither worked very well. Guess you gotta get the good stuff. I have a question on the process though. You spray and seal it in a container for days. Won't it settle at the bottom and eat away more there? Or does it produce fumes which are what does the stripping?

Kev808 04-15-2007 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamus (Post 672085)
I've tried brake fluid and an off brand overn cleaner and neither worked very well. Guess you gotta get the good stuff. I have a question on the process though. You spray and seal it in a container for days. Won't it settle at the bottom and eat away more there? Or does it produce fumes which are what does the stripping?

Are you asking on the product I mentioned about?

Racefan1115 04-15-2007 03:37 PM

I took a trip to the store and got some easy-off and put that on there. I will let you know how it works compared to the other stuff.

Jamus 04-15-2007 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev808 (Post 672100)
Are you asking on the product I mentioned about?

No I was asking about the oven cleaner and brake fluid. I imagine a real stripper would work fast enough that you wouldn't leave it for a long period of time.

Racefan1115 04-15-2007 04:26 PM

I just checked the progress on it, and so far the easy-off doesn't seem to be a whole lot stronger. There is two coats of paint on it, and where the top one is cracked it came off, and the first layer is gone also. But elsewhere on the body i can't even scrape the top layer with a gasket scraper. I'm wondering if its automotive paint on there or something. I'll let it sit for a few hours and see what happens.

dwagon 04-15-2007 04:44 PM

i used easy-off on my wrangler, the paint had been on it for about 10yrs you have to let it sit over night , and you mite have to doit several times and rince it off inbetween. use a hard toothbrush when you rince it off

brake fluid works also but you need to sock it for a few ours

i would use the easy-off ....the foamig kind

Racefan1115 04-15-2007 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwagon (Post 672193)
i used easy-off on my wrangler, the paint had been on it for about 10yrs you have to let it sit over night , and you mite have to doit several times and rince it off inbetween. use a hard toothbrush when you rince it off

brake fluid works also but you need to sock it for a few ours

i would use the easy-off ....the foamig kind

Yeah, I've got the foaming easy-off on there right now. My body is an original clod, so I'm pretty sure that the paint on my body is really old also. I'll let it try sitting over night and see what happens. I'm hoping if it worked for you it will work for me"thumbsup"

JasonInAugusta 04-15-2007 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racefan1115 (Post 672051)
You mean brake cleaner, and that has a tendency to eat plastic.

No, he meant brake fluid. Brake fluid works...on both lexan and styrene.

For anyone reading this...DO NOT USE BRAKE CLEANER!

'83 chevy 04-15-2007 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta (Post 672228)
No, he meant brake fluid. Brake fluid works...on both lexan and styrene.

Nitro works on lexan as well. but i have used brake fluid before and it worked great, just took a while afterwards to get the residue off

Racefan1115 04-15-2007 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta (Post 672228)

Oops, i'm assuming that thats why when i tested it on a piece of scrap plastic it tended to eat the plastic:lol:

NeoNeoN 04-15-2007 06:50 PM

brass brush

I found that a small brass "toothbrush" that I used to clean my brazing worked well to clean my hummer hardbody. I was afraid that it would gouge the plastic, but it didn't (even getting all of the paint off of the door hinges and rivets). Apply as little pressure as you can and go fast at different angles. Keep checking to see if anything is damaged, I just don't want to get blamed for ruining it. I used the off brand of oven cleaner and let it set overnight each time.

Kev808 04-16-2007 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamus (Post 672156)
No I was asking about the oven cleaner and brake fluid. I imagine a real stripper would work fast enough that you wouldn't leave it for a long period of time.

It'll start working as soon as it touches the painted surface. and eats it up real quick. Whenever I use it at work, It can strip paint off a full size truck hood in 15-30 min.

minijosh 04-16-2007 03:30 AM

I use the yellow bottle of eazy off and a tooth brush. I put the body in the bag after I spray it. I let mine sit out in the sun since eazy off is heat activated. The sun will help eat more of the paint. Don't forget to wear rubber gloves. I found that out the hard way. My hands hurt for days after.