Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Styrene on Lexan?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2007, 02:24 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Styrene on Lexan?

I did a quick search and didn't get anything so....Can styrene be joined to lexan? I want to cut up a body and make a truck bed and a half cab, but the body is lexan and it doen't come in hard plastic. Can styrene and lexan be glued together and still hold up? Will it be rigid enough to not break up the styrene?
BGGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
RCC Addict

They can be joined together using plasitcweld. I made a styrene bed on a lexan body, but after a good bashing session it was trashed though. But the body was mounted by velcro on the bed in the rear! And I had a few bad rollovers so....

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...lerpics021.jpg
Crawln Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Ok. Thanks...I figured as much. They don't seem like they would hold together after a rough ride.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Well I dont think lexan to lexan joints would hold up to good beatings either. I would go ahead should be cool. By the way coles thats a really nice bed ya got there.
cembom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:07 PM   #5
RCC Addict

do what he said, and then coat everything from the inside with shoo goo, miracle stuff that is, should hold up pretty good that way, if it breaks, I know nothing, hurry up and build it......bronco or scout?
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:25 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Only way I have seen it done is to shoe goo styrene sheet to the inside of the lexan, then build off of that. Seems to hold up fine if done that way.
outcastrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:22 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Thanks guys! I didn't even think about the shoo goo! sounds like it might work pretty well.

Halfcab, Bronco or Scout? Scout would be cool, no bronco, but actually another D90...I'm working on one right now, but I found a pic of one I would love to make a scaler out of. Check it out!
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Why does the cab look so small compared to the rest of the truck on d90s? SHould look cool though good luck.
cembom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:30 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

because it's a defender 90 (90 inch wheel base) pickup. it has room behind the seats and also the spare gives it an illusion of being bigger
BGGruff, nice to see that link had such an effect on you pm me as soon as you start the build thread if that is ok. you're building my dream land rover and i can give you lots of advice and description on the 1:1 if needed!
theshimonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Theshimonator, I will definitely let you know as soon as I start it...it will probably be a while b/c I have to finish the green one, then I have to build one for my daughter, she wants a chevy truck, then I will get to do another project for myself...except I have to build an RC Shelby Muscle Car for my wife. Crap too many projects, not enough money to do them all at once! Anyways I'll be talkin to you whenevr I get it started...Thanks again for the website and I told you I'm a Rover Fanatic!