Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: What a worm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2007, 06:01 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default What a worm

Well I been stripping paint off a good ol Yota with Easy-Off. This did the trick to get me down to pretty much bare plastic but some areas with primer still left on it. I then decided to try the brake fluid deal with it and as I've seen pics online of a few paint strippings using brake fluid I grabbed whatever brake fluid I could find in the garage closet and dumped it in something so I could soak the parts in. Well when I noticed the brake fluid was a bit thin and lite in color and different looking than the stuff I saw in pics online I thought to myself hmmm shouldn't it look dark like motor oil if you would? well I come back to read on Tamiya101 that it's mainly DOT 4 brake fluid thats used for stripping paint and now as I type this "2am in the morning" I'm thinking of the parts I got soaking in the brake fluid I found and it's making me wonder if I should go out and take it out or just leave it and wait till morning or after work to go deal with it. At this point I am a bit bummed though it can't be done with any type of brake fluid and I'm also hoping it ain't eating away at the plastic.
Breaker 1-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

DOT 3 will strip paint just fine, the small spots of primer will most likely need a light sanding with red scotch brite or something like that. I soaked my Hilux body for 2 or 3 days in dot 3 and no damage to plastic what so ever.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

yeah thats another problem. I got no clue what DOT I used. All I know is it was STP Heavy Duty something something and it was about the size of a quart so I got a decent amount to do small body parts.
Breaker 1-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

It was DOT 3 or 4 - you really have to look in the right places to find DOT 5...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote