Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Paint "curing" time?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2007, 01:14 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Paint "curing" time?

i painted my ax10 body with tamiya polycarb spray in an approx 85F enviroment with 5 thin coats. how long would you guys reccommend i wait until i put the decals on. i dont know if it really matters, but this is my first time and i would rather learn from your experiences than F**k up my paint job and decals.

I did search. couldnt find much

thanx a lot
mtnyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
ftr
Pebble Pounder

Well since the paint goes on the inside and the decals go on the outside it really doesnt matter. But if you painted the outside it should be fine to apply them after an hour or so.
ftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

if the paint goes on the inside, then how the F**k are you supposed to get a flat finish?
Old 12-24-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Location: Ramstein Air Base Germany ...ya Ive been Ramshafted

Put it in the oven for 30 min at 350. 30 min later it will be flat He he J/K man Geez Im not even sure you can get the paint to look flat when painting the inside of a lexan body.
CCFBERG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:37 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Well you could use flat finish paint. J/K dewd....

I would wait a full 24hrs in 70*+ temps before applying decals. No real solid theory on that, but that's what I would do. i guess the question is.....why paint it on the outside? I understand the look you're going for, but the first OOPS, and it's gettin' trashed.
Hotrodvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:56 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

Theres no way to get a "flat" look from a paint while painting the inside. The lexan itself works like the clearcoat and will give paint the shine. Id wait a good hour or so before putting on the decals. Ya can help it out with a blowdrier but dont get it to warm, esp. when painting on the outside. Itll crack the paint. But yeah, a good hour and ya should be set. It dries pretty quick but just for extra security Id wait the full hour.
Knoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 12:00 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote: why paint it on the outside? I understand the look you're going for, but the first OOPS, and it's gettin' trashed

yeah...i was just thinking that i could at least touch up scratches if i paint on the outside. if i paint on the inside and then scratch the $h!t out of it, how can i fix that? none of this really matters because im gonna F it up anyway :-)

Last edited by mtnyote; 12-25-2007 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:04 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoc View Post
Theres no way to get a "flat" look from a paint while painting the inside. .

No $h!t. when i asked how i was supposed to get a flat look from interior painting, that was a response to FTR's comment. i was trying to explain that i had to paint on the outside

im not a TOTAL jackass
Old 12-25-2007, 12:54 AM   #9
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnyote View Post
No $h!t. when i asked how i was supposed to get a flat look from interior painting, that was a response to FTR's comment. i was trying to explain that i had to paint on the outside

im not a TOTAL jackass
I was just saying for referances. Settle down there tough guy.

If I was you Id paint the inside silver. Then if ya scratch the paint, it looks like ya scratched it down to bare metal. Or even a rust color, so when it gets scratched it looks rusted in that spot.
Knoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 01:25 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Im not sure if its just my wet climate or the paint is cold when it comes out of the can but when I paint my body (on the inside) condensation will develop on the outside. So I have to wait for that to go away before I can apply my decals. I waited probably a day and a half to let it cure just to be safe. Wait at least 24 hrs.
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 02:35 AM   #11
ftr
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
if the paint goes on the inside, then how the F**k are you supposed to get a flat finish?
All you do to get a flat finish when painting the inside is the same as normal but when done take it outside and run it over with your truck

But seriously an hour is enough time for the paint to be ready for decals.
ftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:23 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoc View Post
I was just saying for referances. Settle down there tough guy.

If I was you Id paint the inside silver. Then if ya scratch the paint, it looks like ya scratched it down to bare metal. Or even a rust color, so when it gets scratched it looks rusted in that spot.
thats a great idea"thumb sup"
Old 12-26-2007, 11:27 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapegoat View Post
Im not sure if its just my wet climate or the paint is cold when it comes out of the can but when I paint my body (on the inside) condensation will develop on the outside. So I have to wait for that to go away before I can apply my decals. I waited probably a day and a half to let it cure just to be safe. Wait at least 24 hrs.
im about 650 miles south of you and im in the mountains, but that sounds friggen moist!!!!
Old 12-27-2007, 04:10 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
im about 650 miles south of you and im in the mountains, but that sounds friggen moist!!!!
Yeah. It was too cold. the paint didn't cure very well. Im gonna have to take a big cardboard box and a little heater and build me a makeshift paint booth next time. Paint doesn't really work well in 40* weather.
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote